Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Ring of Death Question

United States

Red Ring of Death Question

So, right as I was attempting manipulate Nico Bellic through an alternate ending for GTA, my 360 starts to repeatedly freeze necessitating system restarts. One of the restarts ended up with a System Error message being displayed on the screen in multiple languages with a numerical error code being displayed (which escapes me now) and a red light where the green light used to be on the front of the unit.

I was able to sucessfully shut down and restart the game, but am still experiencing frequent freezes, usually happening at exciting moments like just as I am about to shoot at an enemy, or midpunch during a fight. While the screen displays what looks like a very exciting moment frozen in time, I do not find any of this amusing to say the least.

I tried my 360 with other games from my collection - Kane and Lynch, Saint's Row, Bully -- and get frozen there too. So now I fear that my box is way past it's half-life point- indeed, this might be that red ring that I have heard about.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am actually a victim of the red ring of death? Does anyone know what causes this, and is there a fix to this other than replacing my 360? Should I now use my 360 as a very expensive paperweight or door stopper? Can I sue Microsoft? (Ok I know that I probably can't do that, but would like to berate them at least)
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Chasing Prey

Canada
    take it back to the store.........never pay full price for a half broke merchandise

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    take it back to the store.........never pay full price for a half broke merchandise
    I wonder how long after I purchase a product that a store will accept a return. I think I may be way beyond my window of returnability since I got the 360 in order to play Dead Rising on it's day of release, which was over 2 years ago if I am not mistaken. Stupid xbox!
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

capncnut
    Your console has not fully red ringed if there is only one red light. That is 'error E74' and that, I'm afraid is not even covered by Microsoft if your console is out of warrantry.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Your console has not fully red ringed if there is only one red light. That is 'error E74' and that, I'm afraid is not even covered by Microsoft if your console is out of warrantry.
    That sounds like the error code and light config that I am experiencing. Just as I feared, I think that I am going to lose out on this one. Guess I might have to either replace my console at my own expense or just give it all up and sell my games for whatever I can get.

Quite depressing, actually!

United States
    Can't get a repair shop after it?
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    That sounds like the error code and light config that I am experiencing. Just as I feared, I think that I am going to lose out on this one. Guess I might have to either replace my console at my own expense or just give it all up and sell my games for whatever I can get.

i get that, mine will turn on, the lights come on, but never show up on the screen, and require restarting up to 7 times, but its never frozen, ever. odd, but its been happening on mine since december and its never red ringed form it so it shouldn't be anything major, just a mild annoyance.

then again mine is before its on, never during running.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post

Yeah, it can be a bit of a gutting feeling to lose your console but I dunno what else can be done. With that said, however, if you carry on using it, the chances are it will red ring for real. Microsoft might go easy on you if you suck up on the telephone. They are offering an additional three years in the case of red ringers and I have heard a few success stories with unregistered consoles.

Other than that, it's a new 360, man.
    Last edited by capncnut; 26-Jul-2008 at 02:35 AM.

England
    Its all about the PS3

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Its all about the PS3
    Well it would be if it actually had any decent games.

United States
    Indeed

My 360 froze up during a co-op session of Army of Two. The screen got all pixelated and then bam, I got 2 red lights, signifying my GPU had been fried. MS wanted me to pay $100 for repair, and I didn't feel like waiting the 3 or 4 weeks, so I just went out and bought a new Arcade unit. I'd have abandoned Microsoft after that incident if it werent for the awesome library of games and an unmatched online service. How can you say no to Left 4 Dead??

England
    It does!im starting to see quite a few juicy titles on the shelf for the PS3,i dont own one yet though,got too much other stuff to spend my money on rather than gaming these days

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    Indeed

My 360 froze up during a co-op session of Army of Two.

no loss there

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    no loss there
    You're tellin me. My friend only rented it, thank jebus.

United States
    I looked online and saw some advice about wrapping a towel around the unit so that I can purposely overheat it. Apparently this is supposed to remedy the error code 74 & 79.

Really? Purposely overheat my machine to fix the error code? Is this just some disinformation spread by Microsoft to cause folks like me to void their warranty or to sell more units?

So, I guess I am doomed to sending this out for repair, unless I can con my local store to accept it in trade for alternate!