Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: weekend box office.......

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    the last x-files made 189 million total.

the dark knight has made 450 million (roughly) so far. The previous batman film made 300 million or so, iron man made 560 million or so, and spider man 1-3 made 821 million, 782 million, and 890 million respectfully. (all cost figures are rough.

the dark knight has an average rating of 94%
    Batman begins has an average rating of 84%
    Iron man has an average rating of 93%
    Spider mans 1-3 have an average rating of 90%, 93%, and 61% respectably
    I want to believe has am average rating of 34%
    and the x-files movie has a rating of 64%

There is a reason why comic book based movies are making a come back- they make ass loads of cash, and the vast majority of recent ones have been utterly fantastic (even spider man 3 watchable). All of the movies listed above have great actors, writing, pacing, and are just incredibly well put together.

the recent x-file movie has none of those things. I used to be a huge x-files fan, but c'mon, there's a difference between liking a movie because you liked the show, and liking a movie because it's good. And evidently, the vast majority of people, and critics, do not think I want to believe is a good movie, but again, it just opened so we'll see.

I would also say that the x-files franchise was done when the show ended, but i guess that's just me.

um.......all comic book movies arent making movies. see both hulk movies and the two blade sequels, and elektra and daredevil AND the punisher.

and how long did the batman franchise go away after their last debacle at the box office? bout a decade and u didnt hear nothing else from them. but the x files steadily had comics, new things happening etc etc. video games......

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    and how long did the batman franchise go away after their last debacle at the box office? bout a decade and u didnt hear nothing else from them. but the x files steadily had comics, new things happening etc etc. video games......
    The last Batman series skewed off into bad territory. Even the director(shumacher) of the last two films in that series admits to it. Everything about the new(Nolan) series is fantastic, imo.

But I really don't see how this relates to the X Men films. I mean...did you see X3? I'm not an X Men fan by any means, but from what I've seen and read, that film is the Batman Forever of the X Men series. The beginning of the end....

United States
    . but the x files steadily had comics, new things happening etc etc. video games......
    Wait. . so Batman didn't have Comics and games and cartoons and action figures, etc etc. That began before and complete blew xfile's stuff out of the water?

Batman is an American icon. . . X-files was a popular TV show with a decent movie follow up. The scales are kinda tipped man.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    The last Batman series skewed off into bad territory. Even the director(shumacher) of the last two films in that series admits to it. Everything about the new(Nolan) series is fantastic, imo.

But I really don't see how this relates to the X Men films. I mean...did you see X3? I'm not an X Men fan by any means, but from what I've seen and read, that film is the Batman Forever of the X Men series. The beginning of the end....
    yea i saw the x men movies. loved em all,saw em all in theaters.

shame on ya for sayin that about batman forever. out of the original batman movies before the ones with bale, its the 2nd highest grossing right behind the original. i could see people saying it was a bad movie if it tanked,but it didnt so its not. plus kilmer is a chameleon. watch tombstone and the doors. he baically becomes that person for the duration of filming.

also, he made some doors tracks with him singing....the band couldnt tell the difference between him and morrison

Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Wait. . so Batman didn't have Comics and games and cartoons and action figures, etc etc. That began before and complete blew xfile's stuff out of the water?

Batman is an American icon. . . X-files was a popular TV show with a decent movie follow up. The scales are kinda tipped man.

batman largely went away after the first run of 4 or 6 movies. no one would touch the franchise with a ten foot pole. x files was always on the to do list. had fox not screwed carter,we'd be at x files 4 or 5 by now
    Last edited by acealive1; 31-Jul-2008 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Canada
    lol wut?

There has always been a huge market for batman comics- he is after all, one of DCs most popular characters. They wouldn't stop production of his comic series just because half of the original batman movie series sucks.

But yea, clang is pretty much correct.

United States
    What I mean. . is that Batman is Chiefly a Comic book. It has been around for ages. Comparing the two JUST on their movies is bad enough. . but you mentioned that the X-files had a comic going like Batman ddin't already have that area of the argument sown up. I realize you are a fan. . great. . wonderful. . nothing at all wrong with that. But fact is. . X-files made the mistake of coming out to compete with Batman. . a bad bad move.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    lol wut?

There has always been a huge market for batman comics- he is after all, one of DCs most popular characters. They wouldn't stop production of his comic series just because half of the original batman movie series sucks.

But yea, clang is pretty much correct.
    i clearly remember saying the movies........

What I mean. . is that Batman is Chiefly a Comic book. It has been around for ages. Comparing the two JUST on their movies is bad enough. . but you mentioned that the X-files had a comic going like Batman ddin't already have that area of the argument sown up. I realize you are a fan. . great. . wonderful. . nothing at all wrong with that. But fact is. . X-files made the mistake of coming out to compete with Batman. . a bad bad move.
    yes or no, would it have went gangbusters had they not tied in heath ledger's death with it??

its been that way with people who keel over in their prime no matter how bad the movie is
    Last edited by acealive1; 31-Jul-2008 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Canada
    maybe you should clarify then, because you REALLY make it sound like your talking about the batman franchise as a whole. And comparing the x-files (even the movies) to the batman ones is downright silly.

besides, who'd really want anouther x-files movie? What market is there for this thing right now? Sure, the last one did pretty good, but the series was stale and stagnant when it ended.

United States
    yes or no, would it have went gangbusters had they not tied in heath ledger's death with it??

its been that way with people who keel over in their prime no matter how bad the movie is
    Maybe not AS MUCH of a success without Ledger's death, but it STILL would have blown X-Files out of the water because. . . . It's Batman. The last Batman movie was amazing, there was buzz about Heath's Joker before he died, and the movie is solid and completely badassed. Yeah. . I know you are bitter and mad about the X-files franchise man. . but don't blame Batman. . blame the producers or distributors of the X-Files movie.

Oh, and not to mention that the Batman franchise stays fresh on peoples minds with its constant portrayal in a number of different medias.
    Last edited by clanglee; 31-Jul-2008 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Maybe not AS MUCH of a success without Ledger's death, but it STILL would have blown X-Files out of the water because. . . . It's Batman. The last Batman movie was amazing, there was buzz about Heath's Joker before he died, and the movie is solid and completely badassed. Yeah. . I know you are bitter and mad about the X-files franchise man. . but don't blame Batman. . blame the producers or distributors of the X-Files movie.

u said im bitter..not really. lets face it, could batman run a series for 9 years with a movie in between? NO. is it good for the 9 or ten year frame for like 6 movies? u betcha. but after awhile people get tired of it. see the last time a franchise was started with the batman and the revolving door of actors playing batman started

maybe you should clarify then, because you REALLY make it sound like your talking about the batman franchise as a whole. And comparing the x-files (even the movies) to the batman ones is downright silly.

besides, who'd really want anouther x-files movie? What market is there for this thing right now? Sure, the last one did pretty good, but the series was stale and stagnant when it ended.
    the franchise.meaning the movies............. the series was stale?

um........NO more like carter said "we're done making good episodes and we're gonna make trash til u adhere to our demands to cancel it"
    Last edited by acealive1; 31-Jul-2008 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    yea i saw the x men movies. loved em all,saw em all in theaters.

shame on ya for sayin that about batman forever. out of the original batman movies before the ones with bale, its the 2nd highest grossing right behind the original. i could see people saying it was a bad movie if it tanked,but it didnt so its not. plus kilmer is a chameleon. watch tombstone and the doors. he baically becomes that person for the duration of filming.

also, he made some doors tracks with him singing....the band couldnt tell the difference between him and morrison

batman largely went away after the first run of 4 or 6 movies. no one would touch the franchise with a ten foot pole. x files was always on the to do list. had fox not screwed carter,we'd be at x files 4 or 5 by now

This Nolan series has nothing to do with the series before. Everyone knows that the prior series ended with the last two movies. Kilmer made an awesome batman/bruce wayne. The problem didn't lie within Kilmer. It was the direction of Shumacher.

What other comic book/super hero/legend has withstood many different incarnations? Oh yeah....none really. None have survived to the extent that Batman has. Batman is underneath everyone's breath. It just took someone serious and with a mission to put the cinematic Batman on the right track. Those men are David Goyer and Christopher Nolan....

Imo, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are eons ahead of Singer's films. And I like Superman Returns..

United States
    u said im bitter..not really. lets face it, could batman run a series for 9 years with a movie in between? NO. is it good for the 9 or ten year frame for like 6 movies? u betcha. but after awhile people get tired of it. see the last time a franchise was started with the batman and the revolving door of actors playing batman started
    "
    As I said, it's mainly a comic book. .but yeah that has been running for decades. The cartoons, many cartoons, have been running for many many years. . .Batman also had a Tv show back in the day as well. Really there is no comparisson man. Batman is indeed have a very lasting and adaptable franchise.