Thread: weekend box office.......

Chasing Prey

Canada

weekend box office.......

the dark knight $75 million
    stepbrothers $30 million
    mamma mia $17 million
    x files $ 10 million

and people wonder why theres no sequels in hollywood and why the industry suffers.

one movie makes 300 million in a week,another is based on a song from a SWEDISH POP GROUP............ and then u got movies like the xfiles who shoulda made their budget back the first week only making 10 million OPENING WEEKEND just like land of the dead.

things are horrible cuz people want the flavor of the month and not something thats a proven box office winner.

thanks to the batman nut hangers the x files franchise is done, i hope you're happy cuz that franchise is only good for another 2 films or less like it was when it originally started with michael keaton. then it'll go away for another decade.

the public sucks.

Super Moderator

United States
    Massive public outcries about the masses, by the masses.

Brought to you by the internet

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Massive public outcries about the masses, by the masses.

Brought to you by the internet

you cant tell me im not right. if its not the latest rehash bandwagon of a comic book movie its one of will farrell's flavors of the month where hes too old to be playing a particular role. he plays the same role in every movie.

also its the reason kevin smith stopped bein gung ho about making tons of new movies
    Last edited by acealive1; 28-Jul-2008 at 03:02 AM.

United States
    I'am going to see X files next week.

Dead

Undisclosed
    I don't think you're really being fair to the movies involved. The Dark Knight was a good movie that I believe has earned every dollar it has earned in the past week. It's more than the typical comic book movie (Ghost Rider, Spiderman 3, Hulk) because it was not only made by a great director and cast, but a director and cast who really cared about their work. As for Mamma Mia, I can't speak anything about it because I haven't seen it. I can't say I will because it's just not the type of movie I'm into, but I can see how it has made some money. It is really a counter-program movie because it just sticks out from the usual summer blockbuster formula that comes out every Friday. Step-Brothers was an alright movie but I admit, the Will Farrell act has started getting stale as of late. And as for X-Files, I think the last 2 seasons of the show plus the five year gap between the finale and the movie has seriouly eroded any chance this movie ever had. I plan to see it, but the end of the show was truly a case of 'jumping the shark' and from what I've heard the movie really fails to deliver, even for some of the hardcore fans I know.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie04 View Post
    And as for X-Files, I think the last 2 seasons of the show plus the five year gap between the finale and the movie has seriouly eroded any chance this movie ever had. I plan to see it, but the end of the show was truly a case of 'jumping the shark' and from what I've heard the movie really fails to deliver, even for some of the hardcore fans I know.
    Totally agree, Z4. X-Files has received terrible reviews here in the UK. Not only plotwise but also in the scripting and performance.

Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    thanks to the batman nut hangers the x files franchise is done, i hope you're happy cuz that franchise is only good for another 2 films or less like it was when it originally started with michael keaton. then it'll go away for another decade.
    you cant tell me im not right. if its not the latest rehash bandwagon of a comic book movie... blah, blah
    That's a pathetic argument. I think it's blatantly obvious from all the reviews and praise that The Dark Knight has received in recent weeks that it is an outstanding movie in it's own right, away from previous installments. I'm no major fan of Batman in the slightest but TDK is a top priority of mine to see right now. We are also talking a possible Oscar winner here in Heath Ledger's peformance of The Joker...

...I smell an X-Files fanboy.
    Last edited by capncnut; 28-Jul-2008 at 05:36 AM.

Undisclosed
    the dark knight $75 million
    stepbrothers $30 million
    mamma mia $17 million
    x files $ 10 million

and people wonder why theres no sequels in hollywood and why the industry suffers.

one movie makes 300 million in a week,another is based on a song from a SWEDISH POP GROUP............ and then u got movies like the xfiles who shoulda made their budget back the first week only making 10 million OPENING WEEKEND just like land of the dead.

things are horrible cuz people want the flavor of the month and not something thats a proven box office winner.

the public sucks.

wah! my x-files movie sucks and no one wants to go see it! wah!

the dark knight is about 200 times better than the x-files movie. and yes, ive watched them both. the x-files franchise was dead 10 years ago. nobody cares anymore.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerva_Zombi View Post
    wah! my x-files movie sucks and no one wants to go see it! wah!

the dark knight is about 200 times better than the x-files movie. and yes, ive watched them both. the x-files franchise was dead 10 years ago. nobody cares anymore.
    when the pandemonium surrounding this movie ends,all the batman fanboys will go back into hibernation and wait for the next one including you.

United States
    also its the reason kevin smith stopped bein gung ho about making tons of new movies
    Yeah, But I'll bet dollars to donuts that Kevin Smith was first in line to see the Dark Knight.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

ViP

United States
    Yoda says: Foolish it is to open a film against Batman.

Bottom line: X-Files and Hellboy should have opted for a better opening date. Occassionally there are films that are so popular that they crush everything else. Batman would be one of those.

United States
    my brother and his wife came to visit me this weekend, and we debated upon whether to see step-borthers or TDK. having already seen TDK once, i stated that i didn't really care which we saw, but was leaning towards TDK. they both decided TDK sounded like it was amazing from all they'd heard, so we opted for batman.

neither of them are fans of comic book movies, and hadn't even seen batman begins yet, but after we watched that on dvd at my place, they were pretty excited about checking out the new one. they really enjoyed it, and i got to see it for a second time, and it didn't lose any of its thunder. great film, great cast, awesome story, etc.

will ferrell is pathetic. he's had a few funny moments in a few films, but i've been sick of his same fu(king character-routine since he did a cameo in wedding crashers. it's amaing that people still pay to watch him play the same stupid characters in different moronic settings. sooo glad my brother and his wife didn't want to see step-morons worse than TDK.

as for the xfiles, no thanks. never got into that scene.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 28-Jul-2008 at 07:32 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    Yoda says: Foolish it is to open a film against Batman.
    I wonder what it will be like when Batman 3 is released in a few years. It will probably be the only film opening that weekend.

TDK deserves every bit of credit it's receiving. Top notch film. While I used to love The X Files and was looking forward to "I Want To Believe", I knew it wouldn't do too well. That series was over long ago.

Ace - Have you seen TDK? As an X Files fan AND a Batman fan, I kind of liked "I Want To Believe", but TDK is the superior film in MANY MANY different ways. And if Warner Brothers has their head on straight like I think they do, they will get Chris Nolan back for another Batman film. If he's back, it's going to be good. If he doesn't come back, hopefully they'll go to someone that knows how to handle the franchise. They won't go back to campy films like Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. You can take that to the bank.

As for new X Files - It was great to see Mulder and Skully together again(the true strength of the film), but it probably would have been best to just leave it alone....
    Last edited by bassman; 28-Jul-2008 at 08:00 PM.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I wonder what it will be like when Batman 3 is released in a few years. It will probably be the only film opening that weekend.

TDK deserves every bit of credit it's receiving. Top notch film. While I used to love The X Files and was looking forward to "I Want To Believe", I knew it wouldn't do too well. That series was over long ago.

Ace - Have you seen TDK? As an X Files fan AND a Batman fan, I kind of liked "I Want To Believe", but TDK is the superior film in MANY MANY different ways. And if Warner Brothers has their head on straight like I think they do, they will get Chris Nolan back for another Batman film. If he's back, it's going to be good. If he doesn't come back, hopefully they'll go to someone that knows how to handle the franchise. They won't go back to campy films like Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. You can take that to the bank.

As for new X Files - It was great to see Mulder and Skully together again(the true strength of the film), but it probably would have been best to just leave it alone....
    i never said TDK was a bad movie, im saying if people keep spending loads of money like this on just the stateside box office on ONE movie, its not good for the industry.

and why leave the x files movie alone? the last one made 89 million stateside alone. and also, cmon man....u cant blame chris carter for waiting 10 years since fox couldnt get their stuff together with lawsuits and all pending.
    Last edited by acealive1; 30-Jul-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Canada
    the last x-files made 189 million total.

the dark knight has made 450 million (roughly) so far. The previous batman film made 300 million or so, iron man made 560 million or so, and spider man 1-3 made 821 million, 782 million, and 890 million respectfully. (all cost figures are rough.

the dark knight has an average rating of 94%
    Batman begins has an average rating of 84%
    Iron man has an average rating of 93%
    Spider mans 1-3 have an average rating of 90%, 93%, and 61% respectably
    I want to believe has am average rating of 34%
    and the x-files movie has a rating of 64%

There is a reason why comic book based movies are making a come back- they make ass loads of cash, and the vast majority of recent ones have been utterly fantastic (even spider man 3 watchable). All of the movies listed above have great actors, writing, pacing, and are just incredibly well put together.

the recent x-file movie has none of those things. I used to be a huge x-files fan, but c'mon, there's a difference between liking a movie because you liked the show, and liking a movie because it's good. And evidently, the vast majority of people, and critics, do not think I want to believe is a good movie, but again, it just opened so we'll see.

I would also say that the x-files franchise was done when the show ended, but i guess that's just me.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    I would also say that the x-files franchise was done when the show ended, but i guess that's just me.
    The X-Files franchise was done by the end of season two IMO.