Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bbfc

England
    I didnt know about that turtle scene,which they clearly shouldnt have done by the sounds of it!but at the same time how come that scene in apocalypse now where they slaughter that bull near the end isnt cut?because that was real too!

Super Moderator

UK
    Was the bull that got hacked really real?

Sure it wasn't a real one, then cut away, then replace with a fake one, then there you go?

If it was real, it's a bit double-standards like ... possibly down to the genres each film are in, as well as the 'class of director' behind each one, you know?

Or maybe the BBFC's take on real animal killing in fictional movies is different to what I've previously understood it as, I duno, I'm not an expert on their methods.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by horrormad93 View Post
    But that stupid cutting animal cruelty from a jungle movie If you are out In the amazon jungle you have to kill animals to survive
    But it was completely unnecessary to film the process for "entertainment," even if attempting to make a point. In this case, animal slaughter was only used for exploitative purposes and nothing more. The goal was for the film to become "banned" and thereby gain notoriety.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Anything with the letters B B C usually sucks in one way or another.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    What poppycock!

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    i caught a bit of "the one show" on BBC earlier & john lydon was on it (johnny rotten of the sex pistols for those who dont know) and he burst into a live rant about the media & all that,swearing the lot!i bet the BBC were soiling their strides & frantically waving at him to shut up behind the scenes!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by horrormad93 View Post
    Listen this thread was originally about the bbfc and second of all what does rape have to do with that?

Everyone has there own opinion and you know what mine Is.
    Sorry dude if you re-read it you may understand it better. I'm not going to argue with you because you can't understand my post, it was perfectly reasonable and made a point clearly which you've failed to grasp.

Undisclosed
    That movie made me sick...and still haunts me. I can see why they cut it...I am sure that the us censures would have cut it or given it an X or NC-17 Rating without question. The movie stunk in my opinion and was a waste of an hour plus of my time. BTW what is the BBFC??? I am only assunming it is similar to the US standards board.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy911sc View Post
    I am only assunming it is similar to the US standards board.
    Basically yes...

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/

The British Board of Film Classification is an independent, non-governmental body, which has classified cinema films since it was set up in 1912, and videos since the passing of the Video Recordings Act in 1984.
    Cinema

The British Board of Film Censors was set up in 1912 by the film industry as an independent body to bring a degree of uniformity to the classification of film nationally.

Statutory powers on film remain with the local councils, which may overrule any of the Board's decisions, passing films we reject, banning films we have passed, and even waiving cuts, instituting new ones, or altering categories for films exhibited under their own licensing jurisdiction.
    Video

In 1984 Parliament passed the Video Recordings Act. This act stated that, subject to certain exemptions, video recordings offered for sale or hire commercially in the UK must be classified by an authority designated by the Secretary of State. The President and Vice Presidents of the BBFC were so designated, and charged with applying the new test of 'suitability for viewing in the home'. At this point the Board's title was changed to British Board of Film Classification to reflect the fact that classification plays a far larger part in the Board's work than censorship.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy911sc View Post
    BTW what is the BBFC???
    British board film classification.

Administrator

England
    On an interesting note, this is from wikipedia:-

Many of the censorship issues with Cannibal Holocaust concern the on screen killings of animals, which remains a major issue today. Seven animals were killed during the film's production, six of which are seen onscreen:

* A coatimundi (mistaken as a muskrat in the film) is stabbed multiple times in the neck by an actor.
    * A large turtle (about three feet long) is captured in the water and dragged to shore, where it is then decapitated and its limbs and shell removed. The actors proceed to cook and eat the turtle.
    * A large spider is killed with a machete.
    * A snake is killed with a machete.
    * A squirrel monkey has its face cut off with a machete.
    * A pig is kicked and then shot with a rifle.

Many condemn this as animal cruelty for the purpose of mere sensationalism and only to attract controversy, and it has also been called "animal torture." Deodato himself has condemned his past actions, saying "it was stupid to introduce animals."
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Nice post Neil, great info. It says everything I iterated about why the film needed the cuts. Cutting a Squirrel Monkey's face off? That's just heartless and cruel, I never want to see that on film or in real life...and I praise the BBFC for leaving this out.

Administrator

England
    More interesting stuff... He was actually up on murder charges

The original controversy surrounding the film's release was the belief that Cannibal Holocaust was an actual snuff film, or that the actors were murdered in order to film their deaths for the movie. The film was confiscated ten days after premiering in Milan and Deodato was arrested. The courts believed not only that the four actors portraying the missing film crew were killed for the camera, but that the actress in the impalement scene was actually skewered in such a manner. To make matters worse for Deodato, the actors had signed contracts with him and the producers ensuring that they would not appear in any type of media, motion pictures or commercials for one year after the film's release in order to promote the idea that the film was truly the recovered footage of missing documentarians. Thus, when Deodato claimed that he had not killed the group, questions arose as to why the actors were in no other media if they were alive.

Eventually, Deodato was able to prove that the violence was staged. He contacted Luca Barbareschi and told him to gather the other three actors. After voiding the contracts in order to avoid life in prison, Deodato brought the foursome onto the set of an Italian television show, which satisfied the courts. He still faced the challenge, however, of proving that the impalement scene was merely special effects. In court, he explained how the effect was achieved: a bicycle seat was attached to the end of an iron pole, upon which the actress sat. She then took a short length of balsa wood and held it in her mouth and looked skyward, thus making it look like she had been impaled. Also, Deodato provided pictures of the girl interacting with the crew after the scene had been filmed. After being presented with this evidence, the courts dropped all murder charges against Deodato.

Despite Deodato being exonerated for murder, the courts still wished to ban the film because of its extreme nature. The decision was made to ban Cannibal Holocaust because of the genuine animal slayings, citing animal cruelty laws. Due to this ruling, Deodato, the producers, screenwriter, and the United Artists representative each received a four month suspended sentence after being convicted of obscenity and violence. Deodato spent three additional years fighting in the courts to get his film unbanned. Finally, in 1984, the courts ruled in favor of Deodato, and Cannibal Holocaust was granted a rating certificate of VM18 for a cut print (it would later be re-released uncut).

I've got the film on VHS somewhere, but I have no idea if it's the cut or uncut version... All I do know is I only bothered watching a bit of it, and gave up...
    Last edited by Neil; 29-Jul-2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    it's actually very watchable and highly enjoyable I reckon....don't own it though, but rented it years ago and loved it!

Beats Mountain of the Cannibal God too...

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    More interesting stuff... He was actually up on murder charges

indent]

I've got the film on VHS somewhere, but I have no idea if it's the cut or uncut version... All I do know is I only bothered watching a bit of it, and gave up...
    If you have the vhs In uncut would you trade It with me?