Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Home survival

Canada
    We can agree on that. I mean, I hate it when people go see "faith healers" and disregard medical treatment for their disease or ailment because they are "cured" by these people (who require "donations") and they end up dieing. I'm sorry, but if I were in that position I would go see my docter, and place my trust in him, not some hack who smacks you on the forehead and "cures" your cancer.
    And alot of people go for it too, but I suppose when people can tap into their faith and beliefs, it really strikes a cord in those who go for that treatment. It hurts alot knowing how many people have died because of that..to me it could be considered malpractice...I mean, they are supposed to be "curing" them, and they tell these people to not go for medical treatment, and to stop doing whatever they are doing as they have been cured.

Undisclosed
    I intended for the thread to be about home survival gear and not a debate about religion.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo
    We can agree on that. I mean, I hate it when people go see "faith healers" and disregard medical treatment for their disease or ailment because they are "cured" by these people (who require "donations") and they end up dieing. I'm sorry, but if I were in that position I would go see my docter, and place my trust in him, not some hack who smacks you on the forehead and "cures" your cancer.
    And alot of people go for it too, but I suppose when people can tap into their faith and beliefs, it really strikes a cord in those who go for that treatment. It hurts alot knowing how many people have died because of that..to me it could be considered malpractice...I mean, they are supposed to be "curing" them, and they tell these people to not go for medical treatment, and to stop doing whatever they are doing as they have been cured.
    Get this....waaaaaaaaay back in `87, I went to one of those "healing" extravaganzas. There was a monent during the "sermon" when a woman "felt the spirit". She was loud, excited and happy. Well, the Head Honcho on the stage demanded that security remove her from the building because she was disrupting his sermon. WHAT THE F*CK!!??? This MAY have been the ONLY person with a PURE spiritual feeling!!! And she was kicked out.
    Christians, man, *picks nose*...they MORE than creep me out.

Undisclosed
    If I could swing it, I'd max out credit cards to lay in a supply of rice, beans, wheat, corn, potatoes, salt, oil, and other staples, along with water storage drums, building supplies, camping supplies, and ammo.

I've read that a person can live indefinately on a ration of corn, wheat, and soybeans, but I've got a cook book that tells you how to prepare the same staples and more and the resulting food actually sounds tasty.

With building supplies, I'd build fortifications-punji stick pits, barbed wire tanglefoot, etc, along with rain water catchers, a solar oven, and more.
    Maybe add some boobytraps to the mix. A horde of stinkskins wouldnt' do well against a 55 gallon drum filled with thickened gasoline wrapped with barbed wire. Save my ammo for mopping up what isn't shredded and flash dried.

I'd want to settle in an area far from suburbia, on a farmstead, as suburban homes don't lend themselves towards post apocalyptic survival conditions.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunker65
    Bottled water is your main "must have". After that you can think about powered milk & eggs. Canned goods are always something that you should have. Stuff that can be eaten without being heated if necessary like pork & beans & the like. Also, if you can stand the feast that they had in the original Dawn, SPAM is always an option .
    ah, a zombocalypse possibly the only thing that could force me to eat corned beef

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooley
    suburban homes don't lend themselves towards post apocalyptic survival conditions.

Again, i beg to differ in the case of this particular TEOTWAWKI scenario for many, many reasons.

Though moving out to a more remote location after year ten (ish) would most likely be essential.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    because of the smell of kelp.

Fiji
    I think both Wooley adn Deadman are similarly correct.

given this sort of situation. within the opening few months. it would be advantagious to fall back into and area or tactical familiarity. in the short term suburbia would be ideal for raiding supplies and living in an E&E manner moving from devlopement to developement. however longer term survival would almostt certainly require a fortified homestead, and an area to grow food.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo
    *slaps him on the head* DEMON BE GONE!

Sunny Gulfland, Within sight of the Beautiful Manatee River
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenochrome
    sorry if I offended, but,...fairytale religion is on it's way out. Reality is in.
    Would it mean anything if I told you people have been saying that for at least the last couple of thousand years?

I'm not trying to be offensive, and I'm certainly not offended. We'll all find out the truth when we die won't we?

M_

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    that the worls is run by crab people!

"crab people....crab people.... tastes like crab....talks like people...."

United States
    i'm not sure about what i'd ration but i'd probably do something similiar to land, as in raid the smaller towns for whatever i needed

that or take shelter in a super wal mart or some mega grocery store

Undisclosed
    I'd like to know why Dead Man Deluxe thinks suburbia is a good choice to hunker down in. I can't see a single good reason myself. Homes are close together, which will add to the fire danger. They are on small plots of land, making farming impossible. Urban codes prohibit livestock. Large population concentrations mean large numbers of unprepared neighbors, looters, rioters, and zombies in close proximity. Small plot size also limits your defensive abilities, as does the close packed homes-having homes so close limits both your visibility, and field of fire, and it'd be hard to lay any type of fortifications in a little yard. The homes would be stiffling hot in summer, freezing in winter due to a lack of any backup heating/cooling technology, or design. They are also hard to fortify-a .22 bullet would penetrate most 2x4 construction, I'd think, and the materials don't have fireproofing in mind.

Urban areas will become untenable as soon as electrical power goes down and stays down, because without power, all other facets of modern civilization collapse too-clean running water, sewage, ATMs and other monetary systems, refrigeration, gas station pumps, etc.

Yeah, you could get a generator, and plant a garden, and lay in a stockpile of canned goods and staples, but how long will that last before the neighbors notice you aren't starving, and start coming around asking, and eventually demanding you share, despite the fact you have very little for yourself? What do you do when you turn them down? They won't be happy, and all it'd take is one little Molotov Cocktail on your roof to leave you totally SOL.

Cities, and suburbs won't be the places to be when the SHTF.