Thread: Deadlands - the new script - MZ's thoughts...

Super Moderator

UK

Deadlands - the new script - MZ's thoughts...

How do chaps,

Gary was kind enough to send me a copy of the script for the big budget Deadlands film - a partial remake of the first Deadlands, as well as a sequel ... so kind of like how Evil Dead 2 worked in that respect.

Quite simply I dug the script, the portion that remakes the original Deadlands feels especially frenzied and panicked. If it works as well on the page as it should on screen, then it'll be a breathless, explosive opening to the movie.

As an easy way of placing it, it's in Day of the Dead time-line territory, months down the line, but we're not stuck in a hole in the ground this time, instead we're above ground where pockets of survivors hide out in rural outskirts with the only form of contact between each group being either radio or "suicide runs".

The outside world is painted as a grim, desolate landscape, bringing in aspects of post 9/11 feeling, and the war in the Middle East, but mixing them with a nice sprinkling of good humour from the characters - as well as in the variety of featured zombies throughout the script.

Speaking of zombies - Gary continues his strain of zeds, in that the fresh ones are athletic, and the less fresh ones shamble, which does add an interesting mix - you don't know what you might face when exploring the dead world out there, will you get surrounded by shambling walkers, or will there be fresh runners out there waiting to pounce?

Also, indeed, there is gore to be had and there is a rather spiffing, gore-soaked final act which involves a sub-plot that hasn't really been seen or discussed in zombie films before, which adds a nice new tweak to typical zombie proceedings that we're used to.

I dearly hope it gets made, and after having read the script, I do wonder what on earth was wanted to be changed by "the suits", so-to-speak. Yes, it's dark - but it works that way.

Finally, the script for the big budget Deadlands shows Gary's progression as a writer - as well as that of co-writer Lonnie Martin - and his vision as a director. It's an exciting vision I'd love to see committed to film.

Undisclosed
    Josh Davidson here. MZ, glad to hear you liked it... but I have to be a little more vocal in my appreciation of the new script. This new script is, in my opinion, freaking fantastic! I started reading it (only planning to read the newest addition which is the first 30 pages or so) around midnight... 2 hours later I finished the damned thing after not being able to stop reading... I'm incredibly excited about getting started on this movie.... if the suits don't greenlight this one then they are loco.... This new script works... that's the best way I can put it... it just WORKS! This movie is going to kick serious ass!!!

Super Moderator

UK
    Indeed - it does just simply work. I found the same thing, I'd start reading, perhaps only planning to squeeze 10 or 15 pages in, between bouts of editing that I'm up to at the moment, but I'd end up sat there for a far longer time just reading away and getting totally carried away by it - listening to music from The Dark Knight at the same time really helped set a pace for it as well, so I found anyway.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Glad you enjoyed it MZ.

I Myself did what you did and played the score to TDK in the BG while reading the script again, and it does set a good tone.

I love synth based scores, however, mine would be much much darker in tone.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

capncnut
    Well MZ sent me the script and I have to say Deej, top show!

Actually I lied, but I'm feeling Saint Nicks words deeply. It looks like Deadlands II is already shaping up to be a f**king super duper ride into the runner zombdom of hell. As if MZ would share the script, the little rat.

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I love synth based scores, however, mine would be much much darker in tone.
    Can't wait to hear it, mate. The soundtrack to a movie means a whole lot - one thing I adored with Cereval's flicks!

Super Moderator

UK
    As if MZ would share the script, the little rat.
    I keep sh*t locked down like a homophobe at an all-gay gang-bang.

(Sorry, been reading "Snuff", the new book from Chuck Palahniuk ... just read a chapter involving such a scene ... minus a homophobe).

Basically, I keep stuff secret like.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Once the studio gives us the full greenlight and a start date, I will let the script out to a few others.

Right now Lonnie and I, along with my agent have been going over casting choices. We were asked to pick a cast and we were told sky's the limit. I did however, keep my original casting choices inplace, which included Josh Davidson and Melisa Breiner-Sanders (Two people I have worked with in the past)

For the following Roles these were our choices: (Character is underlined)

MY CHOICES:

CARRIE
    Scarlett Johannson
    Ali Larter
    Eliza Dushku
    Jessica Biel
    Elisha Cuthbert
    Tiffany Shepis

MORGANELLI
    Matthew McConaughey - Would be my first choice
    Gerard Butler - TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL! LOL
    Timothy Olyphant
    Michael Keaton
    Kevin Durand
    Michael Kelly
    Mark Wahlburg (aka Marky Mark.)

EMMA JANE
    Sissy Spacek - Would be my only choice. Otherwise The character would need to be re-written in some form to have someone else play Emma Jane.

DAVE
    Terence Howard (I originally thought Lonnie's choices were ok, but I don't care for Taye Diggs, and Isiah Washington, although he is another talent, but has too much baggage,)

JASON
    Seann William Scott
    Josh Davidson
    Casey Affleck

MELISA
    Linda Cardellini
    Amy Smart
    Scarlett Johannson
    Melisa Breiner-Sanders (Character is based on her)

KYRA
    Dakota Fanning

LONNIE's choices:

CARRIE:
    Angelina Jolie
    Kate Beckinsale
    Charlize Theron
    Jessica Alba
    Evangeline Lilly
    Jessica Beil
    Elisha Cuthbert

MORGANELLI
    Matthew McConaughey
    Cillian Murphy
    Gerard Butler
    Tim Robbins
    Billy Bob Thornton
    Mel Gibson
    Colin Farrell
    Timothy Olyphant
    Michael Keaton
    Liev Schreiber
    Jeffery Dean Morgan

EMMA JANE
    Sissy Spacek
    Faye Dunaway
    Katherine Ross
    Diane Keaton
    Ellen Burstyn
    Ann Margaret

DAVE
    Terence Howard
    Common
    Taye Diggs
    Isaiah Washington

JASON
    Emile Hirsch
    Jim Sturgess
    Adam Brody
    Seth Green
    Seann William Scott

MELISA (Pronounced May-Lisa)
    Zooey Deschanel
    Ellen Pompeo
    Bryce Dallas Howard
    Amanda Peet
    Linda Cardellini
    Amy Smart

KYRA
    Abigail Breslin
    Dakota Fanning
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    Blimey, you certainly did a "sky's the limit" list there you guys!

Perhaps with Jason, a younger actor, like early twenties (but looking younger than that), as Jason is Carrie's younger brother right? Although he could be younger by like a year, but when I was reading it I was reading Carrie as like 30, and Jason as like early 20's, that was the vibe I got.

Cillian Murphy and Gerrard Butler, two interesting ones there for Morganelli ... perhaps GB more so, as I envisioned him as a bulkier dude, someone who looks the part of ass kicker, you know.

If you get Scarlett Johansson, get her to strip off and do a sexy video and send it to me in the post.

I wonder who'll you end up with ... *fingers crossed for the full green light*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well if they gave me a nice sized budget My top picks would be:

CARRIE:
    Ali Larter

MORGANELLI:
    Matthew McConaughey

JASON:
    Casey Affleck

MELISA
    Scarlett Johannson

DAVE:
    Terrance Howard (But I would most likely screen test other actors)
    I even wouldn't mind BILL PAXTON

EMMA JANE:
    Sissy Spacek

JEN:
    Elisha Cuthbert

MATT:
    Giovanni Ribisi

Modest Budget:

CARRIE:
    Tiffany Shepis or Eliza Dushku

MORGANELLI:
    Michael Keaton

JASON:
    Josh Davidson

MELISA:
    Amy Smart

DAVE:
    Screen Test

MATT:
    Giovanni Ribisi

JEN:
    Elisha Cuthbert
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Undisclosed
    Giovanni Ribisi is one talented mo-fo and a great casting choice.

Michael Keaton I think would be a good choice... although a little older and not as buff as I would picture Morganelli. Kevin Durand and basically his character from Lost is definitely what I see in my head when reading the script.

Oh, and I think Eliza would be a great Carrie.