Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Diary of the Dead 2 Production Begins (?)

Super Moderator

UK
    I too liked Diary, but it is the one I like least out of them all.

I'll definitely watch Diary 2, and no doubt enjoy it. Hopefully he takes Diary and lifts it up into a new realm, really pinches off a nice, solid effort with lots of fun to be had.

I would like to see him make something that isn't a zombie movie, now that he's done two in a row after his career comeback, but indeed - at least he's making movies, and as the HPOTD polls show, movies that most of us like or indeed love.

You've also gotta hand it to him - he does what he wants to do, so fair play to the guvnor.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I
    You've also gotta hand it to him - he does what he wants to do, so fair play to the guvnor.

I don't know, man. He's been saying for years that he would love to do projects outside of the dead series, but nobody will back him for a non-zombie effort.

Personally, I would love to see any of the other ideas he's thrown out there in recent years. A comedy, a musical, and a new take on Tarzan. Any of those would be something I could get behind.

ViP

United States
    I'd rather hom continue to make more zombie films than to be idle. Diary was pitched as a new trilogy so don't be surpised when part 3 is announced. Diary isn't everyones cup of tea but the man is still making "message" films like he wants to.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I don't know, man. He's been saying for years that he would love to do projects outside of the dead series, but nobody will back him for a non-zombie effort.

Personally, I would love to see any of the other ideas he's thrown out there in recent years. A comedy, a musical, and a new take on Tarzan. Any of those would be something I could get behind.
    I guess what I was really meaning was, when he gets to make something, he gets to make something he wants to do.

That's more accurate to my thoughts I guess.

United States

I just realized

Most everyone will have a new zombie film to hate! I have a long standing theory that (most) everyone hates the newest Dead film.
    Day was almost universally hated (right here on this site) until Land came out, then bunches of people began singing Day's praises all of a sudden while bad mouthing Land.
    Then Diary comes out and all of a sudden people start admitting to liking Land (even if just a little bit) while saying how much they disliked Diary.

I by no means speak in terms of "all" or "everyone", just a generalization. I can't wait until Diary 2 comes out so I can see the negativity to it while the first one starts getting some positiveity. LOL! We are all like the Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons! "Worst episode ever."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    I can't wait until Diary 2 comes out so I can see the negativity to it while the first one starts getting some positiveity.
    That theory only works if people actually go see this new movie. I can't speak for everyone, but I know I won't be seeing it. I've had the desire to see another crappy zombie film just beaten right out of me by the last two disasters.

And I can't be the only one; there are sure to be others that have thrown in the towel, too.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    And I can't be the only one; there are sure to be others that have thrown in the towel, too.
    Yeah, let's start a list. This way, everyone else will know in advance who's postings they won't have to read.

United States
    Well, if you don't want to have to be bothered with posts from people who aren't going to post what you want them to, you can just just add me to your "ignore" list. This forum does come with that feature, you know.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    I despised Land and thought Diary was OK at best, but I will certainly be there to see Diary II ... that is, if it comes to my town. After the Diary release disaster, who knows?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Most everyone will have a new zombie film to hate! I have a long standing theory that (most) everyone hates the newest Dead film.
    Day was almost universally hated (right here on this site) until Land came out, then bunches of people began singing Day's praises all of a sudden while bad mouthing Land.
    Then Diary comes out and all of a sudden people start admitting to liking Land (even if just a little bit) while saying how much they disliked Diary.

I by no means speak in terms of "all" or "everyone", just a generalization. I can't wait until Diary 2 comes out so I can see the negativity to it while the first one starts getting some positiveity. LOL! We are all like the Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons! "Worst episode ever."
    Another explanation for what you're seeing is that after Dawn each Dead movie is worse than the last, and the viewers are only more forgiving of the earlier one because the newer one has lowered the bar. By comparison the previous movie doesn't seem so bad.

That's exactly how I feel about Land vs. Diary. In absolute terms I don't like Land any more than I did before... but I like it more than Diary, and Diary made Land a more palatable experience.

I really, really, really wish that GAR would turn out an undisputed gem of a Dead film. That would shake the foundations around here.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Well, if you don't want to have to be bothered with posts from people who aren't going to post what you want them to, you can just just add me to your "ignore" list. This forum does come with that feature, you know.
    But my way will be so much more funner as a "group project."

Besides, how would anyone know in advance who is or isn't going to see the movie if we don't make a list?

Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I really, really, really wish that GAR would turn out an undisputed gem of a Dead film.
    Obviously, the irony of my previous "waiting for chocolate air" comment was lost.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 14-Aug-2008 at 09:23 PM.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    Another explanation for what you're seeing is that after Dawn each Dead movie is worse than the last, and the viewers are only more forgiving of the earlier one because the newer one has lowered the bar. By comparison the previous movie doesn't seem so bad.

That's exactly how I feel about Land vs. Diary. In absolute terms I don't like Land any more than I did before... but I like it more than Diary, and Diary made Land a more palatable experience.

I really, really, really wish that GAR would turn out an undisputed gem of a Dead film. That would shake the foundations around here.
    Well I actually think LAND is better than Diary. Just my opinion. I still have trouble with DAY depending on my mood I guess, but all in all each Romero DEAD flick has given me something to like and remember so I can find all the good that might be mixed in with the bad. Some are better than others for sure, but there's no way that he would even consider trying to top each film as he was making another. That's just not the way he does things. After DAWN I think we have to look at each Dead flick that George gives us and admit : It is what it is. Period. -- Now the hard part ....

Even if it's not as good as NOTLD and DAWN can we find something to like about the movie?? I mean come on we are all supposedly fans of his. Think of your favorite band that has been around for a long period of time. If you consider yourself a die-hard fan of their albums but like some better than others it's the same thing. You don't just ditch out on the artist and complain how much they "Suck" now. You take each offering for what it it's worth and hope the next one is more to your taste. Why is it different here??

United States
    Remember what I said: "mostly". I never used the term "all" implying absolute. There are exceptions to every rule.

I would like to see Diary 2 at the theater but it would need to play closer to where I live. I am in a major area but it was showing out in the sticks! What the hell?

United States
    Do we need another reality zombie film ? Damn George.

(Yeaeah, DVD Sales ....)
    CLICK >>>>>>>>>>>>> for CINEOBSCURE and CINEOBSCURE FORUMS!

Super Moderator

UK
    I don't think Day was that hated prior to Land coming out, in fact on the contrary I think it was loved a lot (and still is). The general air of hatred surrounding it seemed to be during the 1980s, by the time HPOTD was off and running Day was generally considered to be a great film and that was always the impression I've gotten from the members over my past decade here.

I do think that Land was the 'new kid on the block' and was always going to be somewhat separated from Night, Dawn and Day. However, in a tangent from your post earlier, I do think Land is finding a wider audience as people who didn't like it begin to warm up to it ... that said there's still people who simply hate it and that's the end of that.

I loved Land from the off, had a blast seeing it on opening day in the cinema, wearing my HPOTD t-shirt, checking it out with a fellow zed-head, it was great. I've since seen it several times and I still totally dig it.

Now though, Diary is the new kid on the block, so it's taking the largest hammering. However, I maintain that Diary is my least favourite of all of GAR's zed flicks - but as I'm such a GAR fan, that still means I enjoy Diary and like it - but I do think it's the weakest one.

I have a feeling that perhaps Diary 2 will beat Diary 1, as GAR might have more time to manipulate the idea (having had the experience and trialing of Diary 1) and perhaps a bigger budget to go along with it.

This all said however, one the several polls regarding the HPOTD reaction to Land of the Dead - everytime the over all response was positive. Again with a similar poll for Diary, the response over all is positive.

I think I would have been more stoked about GAR doing his "road runner cartoon zombie flick" type thing he mentioned a while back, a GAR zombie comedy would be quite interesting to see, more so than a sequel to Diary. However, if Diary 2 is better than Diary 1, it'll be worth it in the end.

But I still wanna see his zombie comedy ... but perhaps after he's done something other than zombies after Diary 2.