Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Diary of the Dead 2 Production Begins (?)

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    here's a bit i found over at deadcentral:

George also let me know that there will be a lot of DAWN type moments in the sequel. Hell yeah.
    alrighty then.

http://www.aintitcool.com/?q=node/34653

*fixed link, MZ*
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 27-Aug-2008 at 06:11 PM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

UK
    That won't be the real poster, seesh.

They haven't even shot the movie - ergo, how are you going to have any images for it, let alone figure out a vibe for it?

That image is from Diary 1, and features one of the first zombies seen on screen, plus that's been floating around for-absolutely-ever, and at least one time was considered fake ... and finally, it's got a spelling mistake on it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    That won't be the real poster, seesh.

They haven't even shot the movie - ergo, how are you going to have any images for it, let alone figure out a vibe for it?

That image is from Diary 1, and features one of the first zombies seen on screen, plus that's been floating around for-absolutely-ever, and at least one time was considered fake ... and finally, it's got a spelling mistake on it.
    yeah, i couldn't help but chuckle at this one. aintitcool must be having a laugh with us all.

george's a. romero's. whatever folks.

United States
    I think thats the first zombie we see in Diary 1.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I do want another zombie film from George. But I don't want a sequel to Diary.

If anything, I'd just want another stand-alone story set in the world of the dead, with a damn good story. He can toss the overt political tones aside, and just write a good script centered around a political issue, but where the key ingredients would be suspense, terror and excitement. Heck. I'd love that.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    ok. i don't know how i missed this one or if it's even been posted before (trust me, i'm too lazy to look) but there is scuttlebutt straight from romero's mouth that he'd like to have bub (who would be alive for starters) in diary 2.

The other day B-D reporter BC chatted with legendary director George A. Romero about his forthcoming DVD release of Diary of the Dead, which streets on May 20 (more details here). During the interview something interesting came up where Romero teased the possibility of 'Bub' (from DAY OF THE DEAD) returning in his next zombie picture. Read on for the skinny.

Romero talked with B-D about the possibility of characters from DAWN OF THE DEAD or DAY OF THE DEAD ever appearing in the upcoming films. "I had to go to great lengths for Savini to appear in LAND [OF THE DEAD] in his old costume from DAWN [OF THE DEAD]. The problem is those films are owned and controlled by other people," he explains. "They're no longer mine, and it's very expensive. I can't do like Steve King did with CASTLE ROCK. However, if i could get the permission.... there's a character in my new script which could be become Bub, in other words, he would be alive now. But they'd probably want a lot of money for that. I'm bad with that business stuff (laughs)."
    this appears to be from a few months ago, so i don't know what the present status of this idea is.

this little snippet is from a bit after the first interview:

After we broke the news here that we might see Bub in action, Romero tells the site, "I’m using a couple of the big characters but not the ones you would expect. I’m starting with the girl that took off…
    ok. that makes some sense. a lot of folks have wondered what became of her.

oh and for your reading amusement some more anti-hype:

Ugh. I hated Diary Of The Dead. It was boring and lacked blood and gore. And how can they have Bub in the sequel if Diary is not set in the same world as the Night Of The Living Dead series?
    the first really did suck, and i'm VERY forgiving of zombies and especially Romero. If they can kill the entire cast right off the bat and bring in some other folks into a better story line i MIGHT pay to see this. MAYBE!

ugh, who cares. Romero can only do one thing, zombies, whipptie ****ing do.
    this might be my favorite:
    World War Z is already being made, with Max Brooks at the helm, who SHOULD be. It's his idea. Diary was just awful, I'm one of the only people that saw it in the theater and it was a waste of money and dropped the average of the other Romero films significantly. It Sucked. And certainly is the least of his films to deserve any kind of treatment, especially a sequel. I was kind of hoping it wouldn't even make it to DVD, and people would just forget about it... Maybe George could just bury it in some soft peat for a few hundred years...

the dubious one was right, this film will never live up to the anti-hype.

Undisclosed

Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I do want another zombie film from George. But I don't want a sequel to Diary.

If anything, I'd just want another stand-alone story set in the world of the dead, with a damn good story. He can toss the overt political tones aside, and just write a good script centered around a political issue, but where the key ingredients would be suspense, terror and excitement. Heck. I'd love that.
    Of all the movies George is gonna use the same characters from, he chooses Diary. What a load of crap! He could do so much better with different characters without that damn hand held first person camera crap, yet he chooses to make a sequel to the crappiest movie he ever made.
    "Totally Togepi!"

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Of all the movies George is gonna use the same characters from, he chooses Diary. What a load of crap!
    Perhaps you missed the way that the world works, but the Romero quotes posted by scipio will provide a clue:

Romero: ""I had to go to great lengths for Savini to appear in LAND [OF THE DEAD] in his old costume from DAWN [OF THE DEAD]. The problem is those films are owned and controlled by other people."

Ask Capcom how it's working out for them putting zombies in a shopping mall and get back to us.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Perhaps you missed the way that the world works, but the Romero quotes posted by scipio will provide a clue:

Romero: ""I had to go to great lengths for Savini to appear in LAND [OF THE DEAD] in his old costume from DAWN [OF THE DEAD]. The problem is those films are owned and controlled by other people."

Ask Capcom how it's working out for them putting zombies in a shopping mall and get back to us.
    some people also live in a fantasyland that requires artists to cast aside their own vision, wants, desires and ideas in place of "what the fans want."

it is a lame outlook on art and a crock of sh*t to boot.

United States
    I hear ya Scip, but by the same token, If the film maker begins to ignore the fans and forget what it was that made people like his movies to begin with, then that filmmaker starts to make bad movies. The film maker should never pander entirely to the fans, but he should hang onto that which gathered his fans in the first place.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Sooo...... isn't anyone going to comment on GAR's musings over re-using characters from Day and Dawn? I mean, where's the whole separate universes/separate outbreaks thing now?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    Sooo...... isn't anyone going to comment on GAR's musings over re-using characters from Day and Dawn? I mean, where's the whole separate universes/separate outbreaks thing now?
    frankly, i couldn't give a ferret's anus about timelines when push comes to shove. i think that telling a bit of bub's back story would be a great idea. it probably isn't going to happen though, sounds like there are too many flamming hoops to jump through.

i still love howard sherman's take on the bub character as a defrocked priest turned biker with a serious substance abuse problem. it'd be interesting to see how romero portrayed bub as a living person.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    He can toss the overt political tones aside, and just write a good script centered around a political issue, but where the key ingredients would be suspense, terror and excitement.
    I wonder if he could manage this at present, or even cares to really try

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    I hear ya Scip, but by the same token, If the film maker begins to ignore the fans and forget what it was that made people like his movies to begin with, then that filmmaker starts to make bad movies. The film maker should never pander entirely to the fans, but he should hang onto that which gathered his fans in the first place.

I agree 100% and i've made that point in other threads. Reminds me a little of Bill Murray. He has gone away from what made him Kick ass. Damn are his movies bad now.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Reminds me a little of Bill Murray. He has gone away from what made him Kick ass. Damn are his movies bad now.
    Couldn't disagree more. Different isn't always bad and people do change their interests, styles and approaches to their work. My problem with GAR is his latest outings have been less than stellar (in my opinion) and they're still being sold as horror, which--if they are expected to be considered as such (or even a psychological thriller, or chilling look at the nature of man)--they are woefully missing the mark.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany