Thread: Signing Off - my new short - WATCH NOW!

Super Moderator

UK

Signing Off - my new short - WATCH NOW!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6stcWXqU8fg

It's 9 minutes in length, and features Sean Connell (brother of Ben, who has been in the likes of Trapped, VHS 1 & 2 and I Am Zombie Man 2). Sean has recently headed off to London to pursue his career in acting.

The United Kingdom has been ravaged by a viral infection that brings the dead back from the grave. Eventually all that remained was the West Midlands Refugee Camp #3 ... then it too fell, and then Mason Wood was the last man alive in the country.
    As I've said before, it's a zombie-themed short, but it doesn't feature zombies, this piece is all about the performance and relaying a wider story in that manner. It is also a prequel of sorts to a short film script I wrote (which was far too huge and graphically violent for me to stand any slight sliver of a chance of filming), so this prequel allowed me to take the idea and condense it into something easily filmmable.

I'm now in the early stages of writing a full length version of the script upon which this prequel was based on ... if that makes sense?

Anyway, enjoy and let me know your thoughts.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I like it, dude.

Did you film ALL of it? Some of those shots at the beginning are beautiful....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I like it, dude.

Did you film ALL of it? Some of those shots at the beginning are beautiful....
    Of course I filmed all of it.

And thank you too. That sunset footage I've been meaning to use for over a year now, I shot it in summer 2007, and only just got around to finding somewhere to use it ... and of course, it's all slathered in the wonder of Magic Bullet for extra sexiness.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Thats DVX100B goodness right there.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Thats DVX100B goodness right there.
    I've come up with a new way of thinking of it.

Normal DVX100B footage is like Scarlett Johansson with clothes on, rubbing herself up and down you ... DVX100B footage PLUS Magic Bullet and cropped to 2.35:1 is like Scarlett Johansson completely naked, oiled up, and rubbing herself up and down you, before shagging you to within an inch of your life ... ... *ahem* ... ... I'll be right back.

I'm quite chuffed with this new film, it's another step forward, many thanks going to Sean of course who provided me with a great performance. It's the first time I've worked with somebody on one of my little shorts who'd actually studied acting to degree level and has since zipped off to London to pursue it as a career.

And LouCipherr's music, even though they were rough tracks he sent me, stuff he wasn't using, works really well. I totally dig it.

capncnut
    Really enjoyed that Nick, top marks! I really liked the idea behind it and Sean did a good job too. And yeah, I'm in agreement with Bassman - some of the wilderness shots were stunning - t'was like an episode of Springwatch, me laddo.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Really enjoyed that Nick, top marks! I really liked the idea behind it and Sean did a good job too. And yeah, I'm in agreement with Bassman - some of the wilderness shots were stunning - t'was like an episode of Springwatch, me laddo.
    lol, Bill Oddie wouldn't know what had hit him if I was filming his show!

It'd be the deepest black, most white diffusioned spring ever!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    that's great nick. it's the best thing you've done so far (in my not so humble opinion) and hopefully is a harbinger of things to come.

i'll be leaving a comment on it on youtube later on as well.
    Last edited by Mike70; 14-Aug-2008 at 07:48 PM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I've come up with a new way of thinking of it.

Normal DVX100B footage is like Scarlett Johansson with clothes on, rubbing herself up and down you ... DVX100B footage PLUS Magic Bullet and cropped to 2.35:1 is like Scarlett Johansson completely naked, oiled up, and rubbing herself up and down you, before shagging you to within an inch of your life ... ... *ahem* ... ... I'll be right back.

I'm quite chuffed with this new film, it's another step forward, many thanks going to Sean of course who provided me with a great performance. It's the first time I've worked with somebody on one of my little shorts who'd actually studied acting to degree level and has since zipped off to London to pursue it as a career.

And LouCipherr's music, even though they were rough tracks he sent me, stuff he wasn't using, works really well. I totally dig it.
    And now you know why I use 2.35:1. It is the only aspect ratio that works for low budget filmmaking.

I thought the flick was good. I liked it. One thing you might consider is shortening up the beginning a tad. The intro of the world was a little long. I say trim that by about half, and you got something great here.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    That was awesome.

Super Moderator

UK
    DJ, funny you should mention pacing, Sean also mentioned pacing - but he would have wanted it longer ... just thought that was interesting. Ultimately with yours and his opinions, I'm still sat in the middle, ergo I'm right and don't have to bother doing anything, lol.

Seriously though, I'm glad you chaps are digging it.