Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deadlands 2: Poster Concept Art

Norway
    I liked the poster in post number three the best.

Super Moderator

UK
    The UK quad, and the second one are the ones I like.

There'd be tweaks here and there of course, as you've only started putting them together.

I think the key with the cinema aspect is making it a central part of the image, but making it as clear and immediately identifiable as possible - perhaps shooting new photos of the theatre itself and combining those with the zombies.

Perhaps if also having the title on the marquee, have it in cinema marquee font as well.

Could you even perhaps shoot a special photo, at the cinema itself, with the title on the actual marquee? Then combine that with other pictures of the zombies, with only the foreground zeds being more detailed and the background ones being more silhouettes (without raised arms/hands though), just like lopsided body shapes.

So aye, that's what I reckon.

As for the second poster concept, I dig the featured zombie idea, it just needs more stuff around it - perhaps the cinema in a style like I was saying above.

The great thing about the poster for DL:TR was that it was immediately identifiable and you got it immediately, so like I was saying with the cinema concept in the poster, as long as it's really clear off the bat and is a main feature, then I think that'd be a nifty path to follow.

Just my thoughts.

Personally, I'm not keen on the mixed zombies with some being different saturations or thresholds or however you've fiddled with them, I recognise the effect, but can't remember it's name ... personally I'm not keen on that.

I think a fairly simple, but very strong image, is the ideal poster direction.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    thanks for the feedback MZ.

For everyone here is a desktop wall paper if you own a widescreen monitor.

And here is the same image in another UK QUAD format.

ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    I really dig the female zombie with the eye lenses in, that's a central figure right there. I think it'd suit being in the centre ... maybe if you could get the marquee down below the image somehow, like all the zombies appearing out of a doom-laden sky or something.

Just random thoughts.

As for the title font, it's perhaps a tad too 'worn' if you will...duno though...hmmm. Fonts are insanely hard to get exactly right, I find myself spending an hour picking a font for title credits when I'm editing, or doing a poster for something.

I'm so ready to see this movie now.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Final UK Quad Concept. I think I am going to send this one out for Printing into 30x20cm Posters.

I really dig the UK style for Posters. I don't know why, but the size and shape kicks ass and gives you much more room to work with.

Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 17-Aug-2008 at 03:59 PM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    I really dig the UK style for Posters. I don't know why, but the size and shape kicks ass and gives you much more room to work with.
    It's because we Brits are awesome.

Speaking of awesome, I'm diggin' the quad poster.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That last one is one of my faves MZ.

I thinks thats the one to go to print with. Just going to tweak the TEXT

I will make sure to send you one. My buddy works for a print shop and said he can do 1000 for like a few hundred bucks.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    Sweet dude.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ro be honest im not digging the quad ones, they look too busy, you gotta remember that less is more. the female form the 2nd one with the funny eyes is a spooky and powerful image. though with each one its improving. id just suggest using something like photoshop for a simple gradient opacity blend and stick with one overall tone to keep it together, all the differently lit shots, including the negative one just looks kind of cheap and just confusing overall. nothing centers it and it gives of an incomplete vibe. you gotta remember this is an ad for the movie so you have to make it count.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I am still looking at other ways to do it. I know the key to it is the zombie chick with the contacts, just trying to figure out if I want just her to be on it, or how I can make it all work. I have a nice panorama shot of the theater itself, and have used it in some of the posters I haven't uploaded to here, but you can find them in the photo gallery on the official website. www.playingwithdeadthings.com/Photo-Gallery
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    The zombie chick with the eyes is the key, as well as the cinema I think - but the cinema in a really identifiable way - which is why I like the dudes up on the marquee, or just the marquee itself.

I think there's a limit to the amount of stuff both going on, and not going on, in a poster.

For instance, the Drew Struzan posters for the Indiana Jones movies - LOTS going on, but it's all based around a central figure - Indy. That sort of thing works and does allude to various scenes in the movie. But they're also immediately identifiable - so it's about finding something that gives a lot of information on a longer look, but is also able to give a straight punch to the face to tell you what it's about ... if that makes sense.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Not really a fan of those posters. I like a busy poster, but I don't think it all needs to be tied in personally. Although I stick with the conventional zombie film in terms of zombies and story, I prefer the unconventional in terms of artwork.

However, like I said I know she is the key it is just trying to find out how to work it all together.

So far my personal favorite has become this QUAD.

http://www.playingwithdeadthings.com...W_POSTER_A.bmp

I didn't embed it because it is very big and would not display properly.

Gary
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye I think that's my favourite of all the posters too.

I dig it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah that one isn't too busy, and it centers on the zombie chick, who by the way is a very hot girl without the zombie make-up... hell, she's still hot even with it on.

She was very cool on set and I am glad we had those pictures of her to use for the poster. I have a few others but she was the only one who got into zombie mode for her pic.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!