Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: vietnam war movies...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    you know, i just realized i started this thread and didn't list my favs other than "the odd angry shot."

the boys from company c.
    full metal jacket
    platoon
    84 charlie mopic
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy911sc View Post
    Glad to see tiger land thrown in there...not completely about Nam but how about the Doc Fog of War? Great Doc! I also loved Apocalypse Now as well as platoon, Full Metal Jacket, and Bat 21 was great and now as widely seen.
    The Fog of War is the best documentary I have ever seen

Great call !
    CLICK >>>>>>>>>>>>> for CINEOBSCURE and CINEOBSCURE FORUMS!

Tibet
    My old man was on a river boat in the Nam. He says We Were Soldiers is the most realistic movie he's seen.

Canada
    Platoon
    Full metal Jacket
    Hamburger Hill
    We were Solidiers

Haven't watched many war movies in my time

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Staredge View Post
    My old man was on a river boat in the Nam. He says We Were Soldiers is the most realistic movie he's seen.
    Yeah a lot of people have said that,critics werent so keen when it was released but i thought it was really good.I dont think many films before it had shown how brutal modern combat is
    That "broken arrow" sequence is awesome as well (apart from the bit where the bomb falls on the american position )

the voice sinc is a bit off in that vid though

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    ****, haha, that is grosse when the skin peels off his legs. I gotta rewatch that film.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    There are only two vietnam films I enjoy.

Full Metal Jacket
    Apocalypse Now

Watched Platoon the other day and I just don't see what makes that movie so great.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Just thought of another one I enjoyed.

THE EXTERMINATOR

A vietnam vet, formerly with special forces, decides to fight against evil criminal elements in New York, using his knowledge of unconventional warfare techniques.

More a revenge fantasy (not as masterfully done as Death Wish, or Ms. 45) than a proper Nam movie, and certainly not a great piece of cinema, but I enjoyed this one all the same.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Just thought of another one I enjoyed.

THE EXTERMINATOR

A vietnam vet, formerly with special forces, decides to fight against evil criminal elements in New York, using his knowledge of unconventional warfare techniques.

More a revenge fantasy (not as masterfully done as Death Wish, or Ms. 45) than a proper Nam movie, and certainly not a great piece of cinema, but I enjoyed this one all the same.
    Bloody hell thats a blast from the past!i never saw the first one but i saw "exterminator 2" with mario van peebles as the main bad guy!

capncnut
    THE EXTERMINATOR

I am a huge fan of The Exterminator, Robert Ginty and James Glickenhaus full stop. A great little flick - I prefer that one film over the ENTIRE Death Wish series tbh.

The Vietnam sequence was like a nightmare, totally sadistic, and the gore of the whole film kinda edges it out of the 'action' category and places it in something much more sinister. Great little soundtrack too.

"Sit me up straight in a chair, comb mah hair..."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    I am a huge fan of The Exterminator, Robert Ginty and James Glickenhaus full stop. A great little flick - I prefer that one film over the ENTIRE Death Wish series tbh.

The Vietnam sequence was like a nightmare, totally sadistic, and the gore of the whole film kinda edges it out of the 'action' category and places it in something much more sinister. Great little soundtrack too.

"Sit me up straight in a chair, comb mah hair..."
    Cap, if you liked EXTERMINATOR, I think that you will dig ROLLING THUNDER. Check it out if you haven't yet. Cool, 70's film about a vet who returns to Texas after being a POW for some time. trying to readujst to normal life, when suddenly all that is meaninful to him in the world is taken from him. Again, like EXTERMINATOR, another revenge flick, but very well done. Starring William Devane, Tommy Lee Jones, by Paul Schrader.
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

capncnut
    Cap, if you liked EXTERMINATOR, I think that you will dig ROLLING THUNDER. Check it out if you haven't yet. Cool, 70's film about a vet who returns to Texas after being a POW for some time. trying to readujst to normal life, when suddenly all that is meaninful to him in the world is taken from him. Again, like EXTERMINATOR, another revenge flick, but very well done. Starring William Devane, Tommy Lee Jones, by Paul Schrader.
    I think I've seen this before but might need a refresher. Cheers Jimbo, I'll look out for it again.

United States
    I love Rolling Thunder.It's a great movie.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The Death Wish films started a Vigilante movie craze. I remember so many movies based around revenge coming out after Death Wish 1 & 2.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    The Death Wish films started a Vigilante movie craze. I remember so many movies based around revenge coming out after Death Wish 1 & 2.
    You are totally right, Dj, there was a rash of those type of films. I personally dug Ms .45 as one of those weird revenge films.

Back to the Nam films, my wife suggested that I add one that we recently purchased:

COMING HOME

Filmed in 1978, another one of those Nam films that were made shortly after the conflict had ended. Starring Jon Voight, Jane Fonda, and Bruce Dern (Laura's father). Lonely Marine wife on base strikes up a "friendship" with a paraplegic vet while her husband is on tour in Nam. Features a lengthy and fairly steamy love scene with a suprisingly nude Jane Fonda that some say involved actual sex and Fonda herself says she had to get really bombed in order to do. The drama itself is pretty compelling, if Fonda's nudity doesn't attract you to the film, by the way. No, seriously, it's an actors film.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 20-Aug-2008 at 04:24 PM.