Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another top ten survival horror game thread...

capncnut

Another top ten survival horror game thread...

Okay, it's been a while since this subject was raised and we got enough new members to chime in. What is your top ten horror game?

Me?

1. Silent Hill 2 (best bar none, no explanations needed - move along)
    2. Resident Evil 2 (leon, claire, you know you did both scenarios)
    3. Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy (I thought this was an exceptional title, very swish)
    4. House Of The Dead II (two lightguns, a bag of beers = bliss)
    5. Resident Evil (the original, deserves a high rank)
    5. Fatal Frame/Project Zero (scared the F**K out of me, I hate ghosts...)
    6. The Suffering (top story, great scares, end of)
    7. Silent Hill (do I need to explain this one)
    8. Eternal Darkness (wonderful title, one to seek out on the Nintendo)
    9. Call Of Cthulhu (I love Lovecraft, what can I say?)
    10.Clock Tower (the game that introduced me to survival horror)

Notice there's no Dead Rising?

List subject to change...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    1: silent hill 2 - greatest piece of storytelling in a videogame. bar none.
    2: Resident Evil 2 - damn straight i played both scenarios bitch!
    3: Project Zero 2 - not as scary as the original, but also more accessible for it and a really great game is in there if you look.
    4: House of the dead 2 - i dont need to explain this one do i?
    5: Ghosthunter - roaming abandoned schools, Louisiana bayous and a unsunken wwii battleship to name a few locations you go ghost bustin'!
    6: alone in the dark - sure the 2 hours of finding routes sucked, and it was glitchy but for what it was it was a great cinematic experience.
    7: the we dont go to ravenholm level in half life
    8: Obscure 2
    9: eternal darkness: sanitys requiem - they stopped work on a sequel to make too human ?!?
    10: silent hill 4: the room, lacklustre controls but the second best story in videogames.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    silent hill 4: the room, lacklustre controls but the second best story in videogames.
    Yeah, those first person controls were an utter nightmare. Then again, maybe that was the idea...

United States
    1. Dead Rising - Stuck in a mall with hordes of zombies, use anything as a weapon. I dunno how you can't love it.

2. Resident Evil 4 - More of an action style then previous RE games but I loved it. Cant wait for RE5.

3. Resident Evil 2 - I remember playing this non-stop back in '98. My friends and I would literally stay up all night playing this game. It was so good.

4. Silent Hill 2 - I'm sure everyone already knows how great this game is.

5. Condemned: Bloodshot - One of my favorites of this year.

6. Condemned: Criminal Origins - One of the 360 launch titles. Very atmospheric, very intense. You never know when somebody is gonna jump out from a dark corner.

7. Fatal Frame - Great atmosphere, Very creepy.

8. Resident Evil 3 - Gotta love that Nemesis.

9. Vampire Rain - This game gets shat on by alot of people. Probably because its so difficult. But isn't that the point of a survival horror game....to survive.

10. Dino Crisis - Basically resident evil with dinosaurs. I remember I had some fun with this one back in the day.
    Last edited by Zombie Massacre; 13-Aug-2008 at 09:33 PM.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Gotta say, I took back Silent Hill 3 and said to the guy "this ****ing game literally un-nerves me. I don't mind being scared, but I'm actually apprehensive to put this in my console"

Seriously, I love scary games but Silent Hill 3 was just too intense...playing as a tiny girl with a flashlight for a weapon and being chased by hoardes of huge monsters that you can't see til the last second...evil.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Massacre View Post
    1. Dead Rising - Stuck in a mall with hordes of zombies, use anything as a weapon. I dunno how you can't love it.

Because that's all it is. It's very repetitive.

I can't make a list of ten, but I know my favorite is definitely Resident Evil 2. Awesome game.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I know my favorite is definitely Resident Evil 2. Awesome game.
    Yeah, it still is. I recently played through the first two after completing Umbrella Chronicles on the Wii and the nostalgia came flooding back. Holds up well for a ten-year-old game too.

United States
    1. System Shock 2
    2. Resident Evil 4
    3. Resident Evil Remake
    4. Dead Rising
    5. Resident Evil 2

Never really got in to Silent Hill, the first one put me off with clunky controls and goofy monster designs.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    Gotta say, I took back Silent Hill 3 and said to the guy "this ****ing game literally un-nerves me. I don't mind being scared, but I'm actually apprehensive to put this in my console"

Seriously, I love scary games but Silent Hill 3 was just too intense...playing as a tiny girl with a flashlight for a weapon and being chased by hoardes of huge monsters that you can't see til the last second...evil.
    that what makes them such great psychological horror.

i played the first and i knew what was coming in two and i put off putting ti in my console for so long just because i knew what i would find. the way it starts is probably something a film buff like mz would dig, knowing you have prior knowledge of silent hill the sequel has you start with a ten minute walk through some woods alongside a lake with the odd bush rustle or splash.

no enemies.

nothing.

but you know they WILL come eventually adn that constantly building tension is scarier than any gore scene in any horror game and you couldn't pull that off in a movie.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    the sequel has you start with a ten minute walk through some woods alongside a lake with the odd bush rustle or splash.

no enemies.

nothing.

but you know they WILL come eventually adn that constantly building tension is scarier than any gore scene in any horror game and you couldn't pull that off in a movie.
    Yeah, that was implemented to give the player a sense of no return, fear, and claustrophobia. Such a long walk but always a pleasure to do.

And when it comes to Silent Hill 2, all I gotta say is this: don't go tapping on any closed toilet doors.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Don't play much Survival Horror games, but if STALKER qualifies, then that's my favourite.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Because that's all it is. It's very repetitive.

I can't make a list of ten, but I know my favorite is definitely Resident Evil 2. Awesome game.
    Most games are very repetitive. Just look at Resident Evil 2....shoot zombies, find a key to open a door and repeat. It's all about how much fun you can have with it, not how repetitive it is.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Massacre View Post
    Most games are very repetitive. Just look at Resident Evil 2....shoot zombies, find a key to open a door and repeat. It's all about how much fun you can have with it, not how repetitive it is.
    Disagree 100%. There's actually a very good story at heart with Resident Evil 2. Not to mention two different scenarios when switched make four very different scenarios.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed

Lightbulb

1.) Phantasmagoria
    2.) Resident Evil Director's Cut
    3.) Resident Evil 2
    4.) Resident Evil 4
    5.) Silent Hill 2
    6.) Silent Hill
    7.) Night Trap
    8.) Dracula Unleashed
    9.) Zombies Ate My Neighbors (Not quite survival horror, but fun as hell.. intense too when you got down to saving just one cheerleader per level)
    10.) Ghoul Patrol

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    2.) Resident Evil Director's Cut
    Interesting you threw out Resi DC cos I much preferred that over the original. Good choice!
    Last edited by capncnut; 15-Aug-2008 at 07:21 PM.