Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Just watched Dawn of the Dead 04 again....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    One thing nobody can seriously deny with the Rings trilogy, is the sheer epic achievement of doing those three huge movies back-to-back with such reverence for the source material.

Plus those 4-disc DVDs kick ass.
    True statements one and all.

I had some minor points of wtf with some of the plot handling in LOTR compared to the books. But nothing too serious. In some areas they changed who makes certain statements, or who decides certain courses of action, and in every case I found it to the detriment of the story. But overall they stuck to the source material with far greater accuracy than most book -> movie translations.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    But overall they stuck to the source material with far greater accuracy than most book -> movie translations.
    yes they certainly did. i am one of the biggest middle earth geeks you are bound to come across but i'm not a purist (purists should all be burned at the stake). there were changes i didn't care for, like aragorn's reluctant hero bit and elrond's whining about arwen leaving for valinor) but given the way most books get raped when they are turned into films, the changes weren't too heinous.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Lord of the Rings is nothing but a bunch of people walking. I agree with everything Kevin Smith said about it as I finally sat down after 6 years and watched all three and was like, god these are BORING.

Trilogies as good as the original Dead Trilogy.

Clint's Spaghetti Westerns
    Original Star Wars
    That pretty much sums it up.

Can't Include The Godfather because 3 Sucked balls
    Matrix... only 1 & 3 were any good, although 2 had the best action sequences
    Indiana Jones.... ruined on a count of the latest shitfest
    I would have said Lethal Weapon, had it stopped at 3, but they went to 4 and although 4 wasn't great it wasn't horrible either.

Also, wasn't trying to slag DAY, but I think Romero peaked at Creepshow. I still like DAY, my favorite scene being the Fort Meyers opening, and John's Speech about God's Punishment of the human race, but Night and DAWN are leagues above DAY.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 20-Mar-2009 at 09:01 PM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Lord of the Rings is nothing but a bunch of people walking. I agree with everything Kevin Smith said about it as I finally sat down after 6 years and watched all three and was like, god these are BORING.

Clint's Spaghetti Westerns
    Original Star Wars
    That pretty much sums it up.

Can't Include The Godfather because 3 Sucked balls
    Matrix... only 1 & 3 were any good, although 2 had the best action sequences
    I would have said Lethal Weapon, had it stopped at 3, but they went to 4 and although 4 wasn't great it wasn't horrible either.

Also, wasn't trying to slag DAY, but I think Romero peaked at Creepshow. I still like DAY, my favorite scene being the Fort Meyers opening, and John's Speech about God's Punishment of the human race, but Night and DAWN are leagues above DAY.
    Jesus...Smith has some nerve. The guy wouldn't even know where to start if he had to tackle a project as large as "The Lord of the Rings".

...and into the bargain, he hasn't made a good film since "Clerks".

Also, Indiana Jones begins at "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and ends with "Temple of Doom" for me. "The Last Crusade" was mind-numbingly stupid and it remains a mystery to me why people hold it dear to their hearts. The first two are classic cinema, with Lucas and Speilberg on top of their game, but the third film is just irritating, littered with idiotic attempts at "humour" and failing miserably everytime it puts it on screen.

And, as for "Return of the Jedi", every time I see one of those fucking teddy bears, I want to join the Empire. Ewok, my arse. Imagine how much cooler that film would have been if Lucas had retained his original idea and made Endor a planet full of Wookies!

Super Moderator

United States
    I agree with everything Kevin Smith said about it as I finally sat down after 6 years and watched all three and was like, god these are BORING.
    Right, well, thanks for the opinion.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Jesus...Smith has some nerve. The guy wouldn't even know where to start if he had to tackle a project as large as "The Lord of the Rings".
    ugh. agree totally. kevin smith is one of, if not the most, overrated director in the biz right now. a ridiculous hack who seems to think that dick and fart jokes are the height of sophistication. his movies can have their moments but over the long haul, i get very tired of the sophomoric, immature, and profane nature of most of his "films."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    ugh. agree totally. kevin smith is one of, if not the most, overrated director in the biz right now. a ridiculous hack who seems to think that dick and fart jokes are the height of sophistication. his movies can have their moments but over the long haul, i get very tired of the sophomoric, immature, and profane nature of most of his "films."
    Yeah, I really, truly enjoy some of Kevin Smith's lighthearted stuff, but I'd like to see him successfully move his film making repertoire forward before he starts casting stones at kids movies, whose dramatic moments manage to resonate with more emotional intensity than 9/10s of what he's managed to put out on screen.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    I too, think that some of Smith's film are good. I liked "Clerks" and I quite enjoyed some of "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back". But to reduce "The Lord of the Rings" to '...people walking' and calling it 'boring' and then returning serve with crap like "Mallrats" is enough to destroy Kevin Smiths opinion with ease.

Game, set and match to Peter Jackson. No contest.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Also, Indiana Jones begins at "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and ends with "Temple of Doom" for me. "The Last Crusade" was mind-numbingly stupid and it remains a mystery to me why people hold it dear to their hearts. The first two are classic cinema, with Lucas and Speilberg on top of their game, but the third film is just irritating, littered with idiotic attempts at "humour" and failing miserably everytime it puts it on screen.

And, as for "Return of the Jedi", every time I see one of those fucking teddy bears, I want to join the Empire. Ewok, my arse. Imagine how much cooler that film would have been if Lucas had retained his original idea and made Endor a planet full of Wookies!

That's hilarious dude because when I saw it in the movies when I was 5 that's exactly what I thought they were!! Baby wookies !!

I am in total agreement with you about the Indiana jones films as well.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States

Original Star Wars

If you're going to nuke trilogies based on movies numbered 4 and up then the Original Star Wars trilogy needs the boot.

Which raises the very interesting question - is the Dead series as good as the Original Dead Trilogy? That is, did Land ruin the legacy because "they went to 4 and although 4 wasn't great it wasn't horrible either." Did Diary further put the nail in the coffin? Will "... of the Dead" redeem the series?

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Revenge of the Nerds??

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Yeah, I really, truly enjoy some of Kevin Smith's lighthearted stuff, but I'd like to see him successfully move his film making repertoire forward before he starts casting stones at kids movies, whose dramatic moments manage to resonate with more emotional intensity than 9/10s of what he's managed to put out on screen.
    like i said above, some of smith's films have their moments but overall i cannot stand 85% of what he's done. they strike me as really immature, mostly idiotic and seem designed to appeal to people perpetually stuck in their freshman year in high school.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    like i said above, some of smith's films have their moments but overall i cannot stand 85% of what he's done. they strike me as really immature, mostly idiotic and seem designed to appeal to people perpetually stuck in their freshman year in high school.

Yeah, that schtick tends to wear thin pretty quickly and then it's just not funny anymore. Very few can make a career out of one particular film. (COUGH.....GAR......WHEEZE.)

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Just been bitten archivesofthede's Avatar

Undisclosed
    WARNING!

Further flames of Kevin Smith will result in the casting of a series of Voodoo spells that will generate several nasty diseases to rot your fingers off.

First Stormtrooper hate, now Kevin! KEVIN!?!?! What has come of the world?
    ARCHIVES OF THE DEAD - RIP

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    If you're going to nuke trilogies based on movies numbered 4 and up then the Original Star Wars trilogy needs the boot.

Which raises the very interesting question - is the Dead series as good as the Original Dead Trilogy? That is, did Land ruin the legacy because "they went to 4 and although 4 wasn't great it wasn't horrible either." Did Diary further put the nail in the coffin? Will "... of the Dead" redeem the series?

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Revenge of the Nerds??
    LAND ruins the Dead series, Diary inmy opinion saves it, "Of the Dead" is the nail in the coffin.

In regards to NERDS, the only good one was part 1. it was Rated R, Raunchy funny, and awesome. Part 2 was retarded, and 3 & 4 were just utter trash.

Yes there was a 4th nerds movie.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 02-Apr-2009 at 11:51 AM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

capncnut
    LAND ruins the Dead series, Diary inmy opinion saves it, "Of the Dead" is the nail in the coffin.
    Weird, it's the other way around for me. While Land was FAR (and par) from the original trilogy, it squatted a gigantic loaf on Diary.