Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Just watched Dawn of the Dead 04 again....

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Go to the other thread you posted in, I left you my take on it... However, if it goes in your report I would either suggest word smithing it of making sure you give proper credit/reference to HPotD as to thwere you found the information.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States

Dawn

Well,as a matter of fact I just watched Dawn 04 again last night.

Been a year or two,but heres my view;

I know it catches alot flak on here,but I actually liked the movie when it came out,and I still like it now. I think alot of peeps hate it simply cause it wasnt a scene for scene,character by character,frame for fraken frame Remake of the original 78.

(Like that stinking pile of monkey crap that was the Psycho remake back at the end of the 90s! Completely unoriginal and unimaginitive rip off of Hitchcock's classic! And back in high school I actually paid money to see it in theater,and I walked out at the end insulted and empty.)

Do I have issues against Dawn 04? Of course I do. I dont agree with sprinting ghouls,nor do get why animals are deemed Un-edible by the zombie standards in the Snyder Universe. But I do think he managed to pull off a much more believible and 'accurate' zombie movie.Way better job than he did with the high holy '300' movie-lol

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Epidemic79 View Post
    Well,as a matter of fact I just watched Dawn 04 again last night.

Been a year or two,but heres my view;

I know it catches alot flak on here,but I actually liked the movie when it came out,and I still like it now. I think alot of peeps hate it simply cause it wasnt a scene for scene,character by character,frame for fraken frame Remake of the original 78.

(Like that stinking pile of monkey crap that was the Psycho remake back at the end of the 90s! Completely unoriginal and unimaginitive rip off of Hitchcock's classic! And back in high school I actually paid money to see it in theater,and I walked out at the end insulted and empty.)

Do I have issues against Dawn 04? Of course I do. I dont agree with sprinting ghouls,nor do get why animals are deemed Un-edible by the zombie standards in the Snyder Universe. But I do think he managed to pull off a much more believible and 'accurate' zombie movie.Way better job than he did with the high holy '300' movie-lol

I believe this as well. I am really not fond of 300 or Watchmen, but I do like what Snyder did with DAWN. yeah its not Romero's DAWN but then again if they had done that can you imagine the shit storm that would have been brought down over it?

I seriously think people need to step back away from the Holy Trilogy and look at the remake as something completely separate.

IMHO only Night 90 and DAWN 04 are the decent remakes of Romero's movies... well and I do dig The Crazies, so there are 3 of Romero's films that I enjoy their respective remake, only in The Crazies do I feel it was better than the original movie.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    I've seen Yawn04 several times now, I even used it as an example in my final year dissertation on post-millennial horror movies - indeed, that was as much as I'd ever liked the movie, a brief spell in which I thought "maybe I've got it all wrong" ... but then a further watch confirmed my initial thoughts as have subsequent viewings - and that's removed from the GAR flicks.

Kinda funny that you say folk should remove themselves from the trilogy in order to enjoy Yawn04, yet you were pissing and moaning about Land and Survival for not being Dawn of the Dead.

*steps back as pandora's box is flung open with reckless abandon*

Night90 is a good flick, it has some problems (Judy Rose, the MPAA, occasionally feels and looks a bit 'TV movie') but it's a good flick.

Likewise with The Crazies remake. Initially I was like "ah fuck that movie" when I heard about it, and even though the 'veiny crazies' angle grates on me, and while it's not as deep as the original movie, it's actually quite a good flick and I ruddy well enjoyed it (hopefully we'll see a good DVD for it too).

Yawn04 can still kiss my chuddies, mind.

As for "300" - never cared for it. I don't see what the fuss is about that moronic movie.

I really dig "Watchmen" though, but then again Snyder doesn't make much of an impact as a Director on it - he's more a shepherd for Moore's strong source text - and I think the extended director's cut of Watchmen is better than the theatrical version. My opinion of Watchmen, while far, far from sour in the first place, stepped up a few notches when I saw the DC version.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think the general mood about Dawn04 has lightened up in recent years. Same with Land, actually. The more we move away from their intitial release, the more "accepted" they become by each group. That's the way it seems to me, anyway...

I've lightened up on Dawn04 even if I do think it's a poor remake. It has a few good moments sprinkled in with all the bad and it's more of an action flick, but I still give it a viewing from time to time.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I think the general mood about Dawn04 has lightened up in recent years. Same with Land, actually. The more we move away from their intitial release, the more "accepted" they become by each group. That's the way it seems to me, anyway...

I've lightened up on Dawn04 even if I do think it's a poor remake. It has a few good moments sprinkled in with all the bad and it's more of an action flick, but I still give it a viewing from time to time.
    The opening 15-20 minutes of Dawn 04 - apart from the Godzilla screams and silly contact lenses - are fab... And throughtout it there's some great moments, but for me there's just too much annoying unecessary daftness to merit repeat viewings...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The opening 15-20 minutes of Dawn 04 - apart from the Godzilla screams and silly contact lenses - are fab... And throughtout it there's some great moments, but for me there's just too much annoying unecessary daftness to merit repeat viewings...
    Agreed on most parts, the opening 15 minutes is absolutely epic and if the film kept up that pace throughout, there would be alot less haters.

The rest of the movie does have highlights but it does let itself down in places.

The only point i disagree with you on is that i think the screams and the contacts are forgivable.. dont get me wrong i dont like them but they are forgivable, its simply the 2004 equivilent of iffy face paint and bad acting on many beloved zeds in the 80's. Besides, its snyders vision and i rank it alot higher than any of romero's new trilogy.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The opening is good, but it kinda only makes me mad because of how much better it could have been. Overall it's a good sequence, but the girl that basically defies gravity? The "they love each other" shower scene? The Husband head butting his way through the door in what could pass as a Shining reference? Those things bring it down a notch and take me out of it.

Once the big black bad cop guy comes in, the movie really goes downhill.

But like I said...it's not the worst thing ever. I've come to terms with my anger issues over Dawn04. We can now live together in peace.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The opening is good, but it kinda only makes me mad because of how much better it could have been. Overall it's a good sequence, but the girl that basically defies gravity? The "they love each other" shower scene? The Husband head butting his way through the door in what could pass as a Shining reference? Those things bring it down a notch and take me out of it.

Once the big black bad cop guy comes in, the movie really goes downhill.

But like I said...it's not the worst thing ever. I've come to terms with my anger issues over Dawn04. We can now live together in peace.
    Yep, and you forgot the now industry standard zombie raptor/godzilla screams, and the silly contacts that go in the moment someone dies. I mean their eyes would instantly change to some odd unhuman colour the second they die! Not daft in the least!

Later on we get daftness like zombies knowing when to be super quiet so as to sneak up on the heroes, or legless zombies up in rooftop piping...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan