Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What's your method of escaping to somewhere safe?

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    There's a national guard armory about six miles from my house, and i'm only thirty miles from WAFB where they store the stealth bombers.

So first of all, i'd hit the guard armory, and take a couple Colt M-16s. Then i'd comandeer a Jeep and drive out the WAFB, and find a pilot to fly me to Bermuda or some other Carribbean island where I can live out the rest of my life having fun in the sun, and banging brown chicks that talk funny, and getting drunk off rum and tequila.
    Last edited by Dillinger; 18-Sep-2008 at 10:19 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    banging brown chicks that talk funny
    Dude, what is up with this?
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    banging brown chicks that talk funny
    Thats not very nice.

United States
    Once a racist, always a racist. Some people never learn.
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Undisclosed

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEdw View Post
    That is very cool.Where did you find this?

Super Moderator

United States
    Perfect, Jason! Now we just need our mail order zombie survival kits.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub666 View Post
    That is very cool.Where did you find this?
    I find this crap at random, I have another one similar somwhere.

Here's one i made the other night...

Last edited by JasonEdw; 24-Sep-2008 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    I think there is something to be said for both staying on the move, and fortifying a position. I think you need to have both options available to you, and I am a fan of keeping your options open. Being nomadic is something we as a people have not had to be for quite sometime. We go to school, get a job and “settle down” in a zombie uprising people are going to be looking for normalcy. Constantly being on the go means constant danger, constantly peering into the unknown.

I am a fan of fortifying, and having a solid escape plan while maintaining constant and or as needed excursions into the outside world.

First and formost what I never understood was why people think fortifying your house temporarily would be so hard. If you are in your house and it has more than one floor If it becomes surrounded move everyone up stairs and sledge hammer out the stairs. Or use a Sawz-all to cut them out. While this may be a short term solution, and you would certainly need a rope ladder or other means of lowering yourself or those not capable of jumping later you would surely not have to worry about a zombie breaking the windows and “getting you” on night one of the epidemic.

Keep the family and friends or whomever away from windows and make yourself scarce. The zombies would eventually move on or help would arrive. But this is how I would survive the first night if I was stuck in my house, or anywhere away from a more fortifiable position.

It is what they should have done in Night, they had tools and able bodied men. Removing wooden stairs is pretty easy work.

Now as for a long term plan, I would claim the data center I used to work in. I have mentioned this before on these forums years ago back before the wipe on the old version of the forums. Basically there is a river nearby, generators, it is a secured facility designed to protect people and data. It is a brick and mortar structure and the inside is marble there is not much to burn that would cause the building to “collapse” in the event of a accidental fire.

There is also an attached parking garage, and I would use the upper level of this to grow plants and food stuffs. The lower level would have animals like cows and chickens and the like. You could essentially construct a fortress right there with renewable energy and supplies. A self sustaining modern day commune. Clearly I could not do this alone so I would enlist the help of friends, family, and co-workers. Many of whom are familiar with fire arms and life in either law enforcement or the military.

The building is an old converted train station from way back in the day it is spacious with a number of levels. It would be easily fortified with the exception of the glass security doors which while durable would not withstand assault from people determined to get in. I do think they would be fine against the undead in numbers under a hundred and I do not think they would be able to apply enough pressure to break through. That said I would make fortifying them a top priority, as well as getting gas.

Stealing a gas truck and raiding local gas stations would become a priority as well. The location is near the NY State capital so it would likely be well defended for a good long time as the governors mansion is there. It would enjoy the benefit of the protection that this afforded, and the thinning of the ranks of undead and increased military presence while still allowing people who are determined to start taking over the facility which would offer little use to the state officials given the resources they have at their disposal. It is also just far enough away that they would likely not be aware of our activities there unless we tipped our hand and in this case I doubt they would much object to people defending themselves especially if this “militia” was helping thin the ranks of the undead and offering safe haven to some survivors.

Maybe they would but at that point we would have to make a decision. The Parking garage is attached and fenced in. I would further fortify by parking cars along the fenced in walls and tipping them if need be after draining them of gas and oil. A nearby armory would be raided, as well as local gun stores, restaurants and walmarts for supplies. It would be a constant and evolving process with both long term and short term goals but the primary goal of self sufficient, sustainable survival would be achieved through direct leadership and empowerment of the people who came on board.

The roof of the building provides a great view of the surrounding streets and ample firing positions for marksman should we need to defend from looters and zombies alike. The river as I said is very close and I would commandeer one of the nearby boats (and there are a number of them one of which is a military boat Iam not sure if this is fully operational) and ensure it was on standby in case we needed to flee. The docks/launch is very nearby and there are even tour busses there that can drive on land and quickly convert into river going boats. The speed is not amazing but the functionality is.

If that is not possible or if we became over run, retreating to a more mountainous area such as the Adirondacks or Catskills both of which are close both are options. Once there creating structures that are raised off the ground makes the most sense to me. Either by converting traditional buildings and removing floors while fitting them with hoists and winches (or by using construction vehicles for this purpose). I simply do not see keeping the first floor around or basements. I see living in a zombie infested world like living in New Orleans. Why would you want to be where the water can reach you? Build up, build on stilts. Don’t sit in a soup bowl and complain when you are drowning.
    Last edited by Thorn; 25-Sep-2008 at 06:56 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    If it becomes surrounded move everyone up stairs and sledge hammer out the stairs. Or use a Sawz-all to cut them out. While this may be a short term solution, and you would certainly need a rope ladder or other means of lowering yourself or those not capable of jumping later you would surely not have to worry about a zombie breaking the windows and “getting you” on night one of the epidemic...

It is what they should have done in Night, they had tools and able bodied men. Removing wooden stairs is pretty easy work.

You post is well written and very detailed. The only thing is, and I've said this before, I doubt that removing a staircase can be done as quickly and as easily as Max Brooks would lead folks to believe.

Likely it would be a lot quicker and easier to simply barricade the stairs than removing them entirely.

Maybe some of you folks who work construction or are contractors might correct me if I am wrong, however, it seems to me that removing a staircase, even a wooden one- while not impossible - would be a labor-intensive and time-consuming task.

United States
    Thank you very much; I was not sure who Max Brooks was so I had to Google him before responding. Though I have seen his book around before.

It does take some time, but using a sledge hammer to knock out the supports is pretty fast if it is wood. You can even selectively remove steps by just knocking the risers up and then out. Deconstructing anything takes much less time than constructing it of course but I can not argue the labor part.

Knocking out risers can be tiring work even for a fit man, and destroying the stars by removing the supports from below can be dangerous and problematic.