Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: ONE SOLID REASON DAWN of the DEAD 2004 rocks

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Well since MZ listed 110 reasons he hates DAWN 04. I figured I would list one.

It is the first remake of a zombie film, that keeps the audience interested from beginning to end. With the use of standard plot points, and intersting characters, DAWN 04 is THE zombie movie of the new millenium.
    Bit of a broad observation there.

I nearly fell asleep in it. It was on TV the other day and I got 40 mins in and switched off. As soon as there's a hint of that pathetic zombie baby.

This film rocks, if you like braindead, stupid and awfully made hollywood junk food movies.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    This film rocks, if you like braindead, stupid and awfully made hollywood junk food movies.
    That might or might night be true. However, it's certainly more entertaining than land. As a matter of fact sit a group of "outsiders" down and see which film they'd rather watch. I'm sure that the majority would pick dotd 04'.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Night 90 s**t all over Yawn 04.
    I never got the love with Night 90. If you're going to just remake the flick every twenty years or so, following the original to the point that it's really just a phoned-in rehash of the original script, then what's the point?

Canada
    I liked Night 90 as a remake, it kept up with
    what Romero did in his other three classics, as well
    George still had a little to do with the remake and
    Salvini loved the series so much he did his best
    to keep it alive with his version of night.

As for the Dawn remake, it went way off track before the
    credits even roled. I expected a remake, you know
    same characters, same story line, except a more modern
    version of Dawn of the dead. Kind of like the Psycho remake,
    what I got was a rip off. Too many characters, not enough meat
    to the story, I couldn't connect to anyone in the movie and when
    they all died at the end I was like, well that was a waste of
    two hours of my life. I think the only decent thing about the
    movie is the Cameos of the original Dawn players, with
    the exception of David and Gaylen.

IMO I wouldn't say it rocks, more like it crawls under your
    skin and makes you sick.
    But each to thier own I guess.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyHicks View Post
    when
    they all died at the end I was like, well that was a waste of
    two hours of my life.
    I hear this a lot.

I'm not so sure we should count that. Short cuts during end credits can easily be ignored. What exactly is the "rule" about things like that? Are we allowed to ignore them, or do we have to consider them "part of the movie" even though we walked out when the credits started rolling, and didn't see it?

United States
    Besides, why does it matter if everyone in the movie dies? ummm. . . Night of the Living Dead anyone?
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    That might or might night be true. However, it's certainly more entertaining than land. As a matter of fact sit a group of "outsiders" down and see which film they'd rather watch. I'm sure that the majority would pick dotd 04'.
    Yeah I'm sure the same majority would pick Freddy vs Jason over The Green Mile but that doesn't mean it's a better movie. Box office stats have dictated for years that people lap up **** like Yawn04.

But Land aint really that far off...terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I never got the love with Night 90. If you're going to just remake the flick every twenty years or so, following the original to the point that it's really just a phoned-in rehash of the original script, then what's the point?
    Otherwise it's not a remake, it's a different movie that's ripping off the title...hence my main gripe with Yawn
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 27-Aug-2008 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Administrator

England
    Well since MZ listed 110 reasons he hates DAWN 04. I figured I would list one.

It is the first remake of a zombie film, that keeps the audience interested from beginning to end. With the use of standard plot points, and intersting characters, DAWN 04 is THE zombie movie of the new millenium.
    I disagree... I was watching it the other day, and found myself bored.. I actually fast-forwarded through large sections of it...

Silly characters doing unbelievably silly things at times... A bit silly

And then ontop of that, there's the godzilla squawking zombies with contacts...

Don't get me wrong, it's watchable, but it's far from a 'THE' for me...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't see any other zombie film, at the present being the zombie film of the 21st century other than DAWN 2004. If they actually make something better, than I am sure I will say it is the king and not DAWN 04, but as of right compared to the films released in the first 8 years of this Millenium, DAWN 04 is THE zombie film of the 21st century.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I don't see any other zombie film, at the present being the zombie film of the 21st century other than DAWN 2004. If they actually make something better, than I am sure I will say it is the king and not DAWN 04, but as of right compared to the films released in the first 8 years of this Millenium, DAWN 04 is THE zombie film of the 21st century.
    I know you may argue a point here, but 28 Days Later is simply the best of the latest movies that have come out in the post-apocalypic zombie thriller world...I know technically they're not zombies, but the whole premise was awesome and very scary, beats I am Legend hands down, and pays homage without ripping off Romero. Also the infected were fast running and the film shares a lot of traits with Yawn 04, but where it excels is an excellent cast, a brilliant script and some truly scary and brutal moments. Throughout the whole movie I was on the edge of my seat because I was worried about what would happen to the characters, because I CARED for them and their plight...Yawn04 just set people up for kills, as do most hollywood movies. It's disposable.
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 27-Aug-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Administrator

England
    If I had to watch something, it would probably be 28 Days/Months Later... Even with their faults...

I find the characters in Dawn04 too superficial/unbelievable, and the same with the godzilla, contact-lenses, going to be quiet and intelligent when necessary, zombies... Parts of it are very watchable, but too much of it is annoying daftness for me...

Land, and definately Diary, don't attract me much either...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    at least Land had a semi decent script and had some great lines in it...

"isn't that what we're doing, pretending to be alive?"

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

"isn't that what we're doing, pretending to be alive?"

No offense, but you thought that was a great line?

Damn. No wonder Romero isn't trying anymore.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    No offense, but you thought that was a great line?

Damn. No wonder Romero isn't trying anymore.
    Of course it was a great line, it was an extreme example of the destitution of their situation. Name me one good part of the script in Yawn04....the only thing that sticks in my mind is the bit where the guy says something about "back when there was 8 of us"....

"That's why I love you Charlie, you still believe in Heaven..."

Administrator

England
    They generally did less daft things at least
    -Carl Sagan