Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: ONE SOLID REASON DAWN of the DEAD 2004 rocks

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    at least Land had a semi decent script and had some great lines in it...

"isn't that what we're doing, pretending to be alive?"
    Several people think that isn't a great line. They seem to pick at certain lines in Land even though there are numerous very similar lines that hint we're the same in the earlier films.

"We're them and they're us", "They are us", "I once saw one of those things sitting behind the wheel of a car in D.C. trying to drive down Independence Avenue.", "Some kind of instinct. Memory, of what they used to do. This was an important place in their lives.", "They're us, that's all, when there's no more room in hell.", ETC....

Romero's been using lines that all relate us to the dead since day one. People just like to pick at Land...
    Last edited by bassman; 28-Aug-2008 at 12:48 PM.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I thought the line was a biting representation of the society they were living in...it HAD to be obvious, what was Riley supposed to say? giving us some deep metaphor would've made us all cringe. The truth was, they were feigning some sort of life away from the living dead and it was nothing to do with actual living. It made sense, it's a good line. a lot of people bitch about that stuff because they can't decide whether they want a poem or a balls to the wall commentary on how things are in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    They generally did less daft things at least
    The only daft thing in the movie was the death of the little guy on the skateboard...although that scene was creepy, he was never going to survive that situation...so really he should never have been there.
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 28-Aug-2008 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Administrator

England
    The only daft thing in the movie was the death of the little guy on the skateboard...although that scene was creepy, he was never going to survive that situation...so really he should never have been there.
    Yes, that was a clear example of a film character losing any desire to stay alive and/or do anything intelligent...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Yes, that was a clear example of a film character losing any desire to stay alive and/or do anything intelligent...
    Seriously, you just knew he was dead the second they dropped him off.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Seriously, you just knew he was dead the second they dropped him off.
    Yeah. At least they gave him a box of joints.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    There was nothing to give us the impression that this guy wanted to be eaten...I mean, those who want to die generally kill themselves in a way that doesn't involve getting ripped in half...!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Several people think that isn't a great line. They seem to pick at certain lines in Land even though there are numerous very similar lines that hint we're the same in the earlier films.

"We're them and they're us", "They are us", "I once saw one of those things sitting behind the wheel of a car in D.C. trying to drive down Independence Avenue.", "Some kind of instinct. Memory, of what they used to do. This was an important place in their lives.", "They're us, that's all, when there's no more room in hell.", ETC....

Romero's been using lines that all relate us to the dead since day one. People just like to pick at Land...
    I don't like land but imo that's an excellent line. What's more profound than an introspection about the true meaning of life? What does it mean to be alive? Is it just going through the motions eating, sleeping , working, having sex or getting high? Or is that merely existing? That's most likely a question that every man must answer for themselves.

There was a similar sentiment offered by Frannie in Dawn. She made a couple of comments that seemed to point to a malaise that had set in the group's mentality. It was also evident to anyone who saw the film. They had virtually every material comfort/excess that a human being could want but there was still something missing. Were they really living? My answer is no. Being alive, being human consists of much more and imo that's what riley was getting at. He was willing to leave the "comforts" and protection of The fortified city in order to look for something more. Something to give hope and purpose to life that was for the most part no longer worth living. Something that merely going through the motions everyday wasn't giving him.

There was nothing to give us the impression that this guy wanted to be eaten...I mean, those who want to die generally kill themselves in a way that doesn't involve getting ripped in half...!
    Tell that to Miguel from Day !!
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post

Tell that to Miguel from Day !!
    Hahah I know, but he was already ****ed - the little dude (was he called mouse?) had nothing to die for...!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I have to back up the 28 Days/Weeks Later supporters. Those films are infinetly superior to Dawn 04, even if Dawn 04 ain't awful. But the 28 days are simply great.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    the line in land that has always stuck with me is at the very end when mully says something like, "why don't you stay. we could turn this place into what it always could've been."

riley's response, "yeah, but what will we turn into?"

i like that bit of insight in his character.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hahah I know, but he was already ****ed - the little dude (was he called mouse?) had nothing to die for...!
    Nope. He was called yellow, Spic , in bad shape and collapsing from stress. However I don't believe that mouse was one of them.

Now that i think about it we should create a drinking game. Every time a racial or gender based slur is uttered in that film we take a shot. Dude we'd be soooo wasted !!
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Nope. He was called yellow, Spic , in bad shape and collapsing from stress. However I don't believe that mouse was one of them.

Now that i think about it we should create a drinking game. Every time a racial or gender based slur is uttered in that film we take a shot. Dude we'd be soooo wasted !!
    i was talking about the dude in Land, not Miguel!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    i was talking about the dude in Land, not Miguel!
    In that case i think it was mouse.

But that's still a good game though. lol

United States
    at least Land had a semi decent script and had some great lines in it...

"isn't that what we're doing, pretending to be alive?"
    I don't think this line was great. The line iteslf is fine, but it was said by Riley, who had every capability to change the situation and made no effort to do so. He shouldn't be spouting off pithy rhetoric about life's desolation when he is a direct supporter of the system keeping the status quo intact. And running away to Canada does NOT count as doing something about it.

I think it could've been a great line. Let the line come from Mulligan and it would've had more impact. Or Slack. Or anyone who wasn't working for Kaufman. Let that line be said to Riley instead of by him. Then Riley could've had a 'wake up and smell the coffee' moment and been incented to change things.

Coming from Riley it sounded horribly insincere. He should've said, "Isn't that what we're doing, pretending to help people?"
    Last edited by Trin; 28-Aug-2008 at 05:37 PM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I have to back up the 28 Days/Weeks Later supporters. Those films are infinetly superior to Dawn 04, even if Dawn 04 ain't awful. But the 28 days are simply great.
    The first 10 mins of 28 Months Later was awesome! Shame the last 3rd got soooo daft!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan