Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: ONE SOLID REASON DAWN of the DEAD 2004 rocks

United States
    Just look at the responses to Land and Diary on this board. How much gore was there? How many great zombie kills? How many explosions and how many hot chicks? How much CGI and how believable?

There is discussion about plot and character and conflict, but it tends to have to fight for time against purely surface crap. In the old days you didn't have special effects choking out storytelling like weeds in a flowerbed.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    They probably would if that's what today's audiences wanted. I think t's the rampant A.D.D. that causes films like that to be made. Today's audiences simply don't have the patience to wait for character development.
    I want to know what is character development to everyone here?

I always hear the characters in the original Dawn were the most highly developed characters in the series.....When in reality they were actually very poorly developed. We know little or nothing about these people from start to finish.

*gets flame shield*

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

I always hear the characters in the original Dawn were the most highly developed characters in the series.....When in reality they were actually very poorly developed. We know little or nothing about these people from start to finish.

*gets flame shield*
    I think character development is a bit of a false economy in Romero's movies. The characters are kinda just there, but they develop in their reactions to scenarios....not their characters exactly. It's not a character movie, it's about the situation, the adventure, and how humanity on various levels deals with these situations...it's not focused on the "people" so much as "people" in general.

Administrator

England

*gets flame shield*
    Character development is more than just finding out 'stuff' about them... It's basically about spending quality time with them and learning a little bit about what makes them tick

So if/when they are in trouble you actually can sympathise with them and care...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Character development is more than just finding out 'stuff' about them... It's basically about spending quality time with them and learning a little bit about what makes them tick

So if/when they are in trouble you actually can sympathise with them and care...
    Oh yeah. Kinda like in Dawn 04 when....err....when that character....uh....umm...

Nevermind.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Oh yeah. Kinda like in Dawn 04 when....err....when that character....uh....umm...

Nevermind.
    I think that the Gar's shamblers being slow also allows for the movie to slow down so we can have things like character development. The frenzied pace of dawn 04' was a big reason why for the most part that didn't happen.

Also, alot that we know about the protagonists in Dawn are due to the novel that accompanied it such as their last names etc. But like was said earlier, a slower paced film allows us to get to know the characters better.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    28 days later had plenty of "runners" and much better character development.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    and much better character development.
    I agree...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    There were also plenty of slow downs which allowed that development. Like the kids going back to find a pic of their mom for example. Dawn 04' had nothing like that. It was balls to the wall from the get go.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    There were also plenty of slow downs which allowed that development. Like the kids going back to find a pic of their mom for example. Dawn 04' had nothing like that. It was balls to the wall from the get go.
    You're confusing 28 WEEKS late with 28 DAYS Later.

weeks was lame, and a direct comparison with yawn 04 would herald similar opinions in my books. For instance it was way too over the top, thin on the ground with characters, but had a great opening sequence.

28 Days had quite a bit of slowdown too, and it went to show that the fastness of the zeds had nothing to do with the thin plot.

United States
    Similar to what Neil said, I don't think character development is a function of screen time or dialogue. It isn't the ability to name the person's job or hair color or past five job references. It's about knowing the person. Relating with them. Understanding them. And ultimately developing a love or hate of them that might emotionally invest you as the viewer into their fate. Most of all, it doesn't require that you pause the action and have some dialogue. It can be done through the action, through reaction, through expression on faces, etc.

I thought Dawn '04 had plenty of character development, and did a good job with it. I couldn't name all the characters but I could tell you which ones I liked, disliked, wanted to see live/die, and why. I thought the main characters were well developed and the supporting characters were developed well enough to not get in the way.

Land worked hard at character development and I applaud it for the effort. It had great examples of both good and bad character development. I think its biggest failing was putting Riley in the no-man's land between caring and selfish. He was hard to love and yet hard to hate. Some of the other characters, though, like Charlie, Cholo, and Kaufman, were very well developed. Then there were the total tag-alongs like Foxy and Pretty Boy and Manolete. They had no purpose and being so under-developed were just confusing to the storyline.

Diary had no character development. Half of what the characters did or said was to reinforce the message of the movie, not to develop or define their character. That made their characters very flimsy.

28 Weeks did an awesome job developing the family characters. Dad and the kids were great. Then it turned into an action movie that had absolutely no need for developed characters. What an enormous pity.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Dawn '04: THE best opening sequence in horror history.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Aha ok I see what your trying to say.

To me "Character Development" is the little bits and pieces that we learn about a character over the course of a film or book that help flesh the character out more. Stuff like a character's interests, their backstories, last names, relatives, etc.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Aha ok I see what your trying to say.

To me "Character Development" is the little bits and pieces that we learn about a character over the course of a film or book that help flesh the character out more. Stuff like a character's interests, their backstories, last names, relatives, etc.
    Thats how I see it, and Michael,s backstory about his jobs, his failed marriages and being a dad were some decent developments of his character.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    What!?! You mean his job selling t.v.'s at Best Buy doesn't count for anything !?! SHEESH !

If that doesn't tell you something about a man then nothing will.