Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: Zombieland - A film with Woody Harrelson

United States
    I never seem to like any comedic zombie flicks, although I enjoyed Shaun. I think the reason I excuse Shaun is because it reminded me of a Monty Pythonish approach to a zombie outbreak, and I dig Monty Python. Zombieland had its moments, but I would have preferred that they made a serious, scarey zombie flick instead of just another comedy after Shaun's success.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 08-Sep-2011 at 12:07 AM. Reason: sp
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    I never seem to like any comedic zombie flicks, although I enjoyed Shaun. I think the reason I excuse Shaun is because it reminded me of a Monty Pythonish approach to a zombie outbreak, and I dig Monty Python. Zombieland had its moments, but I would have preferred that they made a serious, scarey zombie flick instead of just another comedy after Shaun's success.
    But virtually every zombie flick is 'serious'... Isn't it nice to have something a bit different for a change?

It's like 'Fido,' it was odd and quirky, but frankly it was nice to have something a little different!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    But virtually every zombie flick is 'serious'... Isn't it nice to have something a bit different for a change?

It's like 'Fido,' it was odd and quirky, but frankly it was nice to have something a little different!
    Yes and no - after Shaun there have been a flood of 'zomedies' ... and many of the so-called 'serious' ones are OTT in different ways. It's incredibly rare to get something that takes it properly seriously and with shamblers to boot ... all I can think of like that is The Walking Dead, which has been a huge relief to me as a zombie fanatic, because we finally got something that used zombies to an appropriate extent, didn't shy away from the violence, showed how devestating an outbreak could be, and most importantly of all focus on quality protagonists with good characterisation. TWD is something much more memorable and lasting than yet another not-very-funny/half-decent 'zomedy' or yet another 'zaction' movie (zombie action).

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    I think the reason I excuse Shaun is because it reminded me of a Monty Pythonish approach to a zombie outbreak,
    Hrmm. I don't see the connection there. Other than they're both english, of course. Perhaps that's also because i'm a big fan of Spaced? I see Shaun and Fuzz as kind of "other worlds" of Spaced, if that makes any sense.

Serious, comedy, zomedy, dark, gory, whatever there is to offer.....i'm just glad to have more coming at us. Nine times out of ten it will be garbage but the more zombie films we get, the bigger chance we have at getting something great. Everyone remember back in the nineties when we had virtually NOTHING in the zombie department? Then 28 Days Later(I know...)/Dawn04/Land came along and zombie business was booming.

So yeah....i'll take what I can get. Just sucks that most of it is crap.
    Last edited by bassman; 08-Sep-2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Hrmm. I don't see the connection there. Other than they're both english, of course. Perhaps that's also because i'm a big fan of Spaced? I see Shaun and Fuzz as kind of "other worlds" of Spaced, if that makes any sense.

Serious, comedy, zomedy, dark, gory, whatever there is to offer.....i'm just glad to have more coming at us. Nine times out of ten it will be garbage but the more zombie films we get, the bigger chance we have at getting something great. Everyone remember back in the nineties when we had virtually NOTHING in the zombie department? Then 28 Days Later(I know...)/Dawn04/Land came along and zombie business was booming.

So yeah....i'll take what I can get. Just sucks that most of it is crap.
    The Monty Pythonish feel for me was in the character interaction, whenever Shaun was being serious and the characters that he was talking to would be easily distracted by something unimportant or unrelated to the zombie outbreak (i.e. Shaun's parents). Many of the Python skits revolved around the sane straight man dealing with complete lunatics. The witty brit humor seemed to shine through in Shaun in my opinion.

And yes, it's always great to find a jewel of a zombie flick in that very large pool of zombie flick dung.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 08-Sep-2011 at 05:55 PM. Reason: sp
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Undisclosed
    @ Bassmann, and others.

Be sure to keep your eye out for Detention of the Dead. It is a dark, gory, comedy with shamblers that crosses Breakfast Club and Shaun of the Dead. My son and I were extras in it this past spring. Good old shamblers, head shots, severed limbs, tons of blood, disembowelings etc. Google it. Will be out next year and trailer should be released soon. They just showed an early screening in LA last week and sounds like it was received well. Alex Craig Mann (Director) was very particular about his shamblers.
    Last edited by Ghoulman; 10-Sep-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: wrong quote
    You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

Great Britain
    death valley on MTV is very good and funny