Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: George Lucas redeems himself? (Star Wars Original Versions)

Super Moderator

UK
    Both episodes are correct, but the intonation of Andy's one is the most correct me thinks. The Hammill one is like Homer's going all Hulk on the nerds, the college one is flat out just picking on nerds, hence the most suitable intonation ... okay, someone scream NEEERRRRRRDDD at me

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    I have to agree with Lucas (& Cameron) here...

I can only assume you've not been to a good IMax 3D showing?

Cameron's next film is in IMax 3D and I can't wait!!!
    Every one needs to separate themselves from their hatred for Lucas and realize that all of these cool advances in cinema video and audio are all due him. I see no reason that he will not lead us into the next era. Neil cannot stand the guy, but can at least give him credit where it is due.

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenochrome
    I read something about that not too long ago. Lucas said something like "3D is the future of American cinema"......Come on George!!!! It didn't work in the 50's, it ain't gonna work now! Who wants to sit for two hours, cross eyed wearing silly paper glasss, to watch a flick?
    i didnt believe it either till i saw imax 3d, it pulled off perfect. it does enhance the film that for sure. you know it pretty real when you can see fish a few feet infront of you swimming by .

btw in the next uber deluxe i crapped on it by george lucas edition it gonna have all the versions.

Canada
    Did you see them in the stores? in typical george " i got whore star wars anyway possible " lucas sell only single dvds and not box sets. that was pretty weak, that just plain greedy .

i think ill wait for the super deluxe rare uber definition pizza making edition with the limited darth vader undies.

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by general tbag View Post
    Did you see them in the stores? in typical george " i got whore star wars anyway possible " lucas sell only single dvds and not box sets. that was pretty weak, that just plain greedy .

i think ill wait for the super deluxe rare uber definition pizza making edition with the limited darth vader undies.
    The complete set is available in a collectable tin at Best Buy, exclusively.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Remember years ago with the videos? the originals, remastered, remastered widescreen, special editions, special editions widescreen. Now its the era of DVDs and the release of the movies with the originals as a extra people are moaning? hasn't anyone learned anything?
    Prequals might not have had the same impact that the original trilogy did but they did add much to the expanded universe with alot of Jedi, vehicles and the clone wars (Loved the cartoon shorts). Plus this time there was absolutely no doubt these are childrens films.

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    dam that exclusive. thanks axlish

yea i was one of them suckers that bought into the vhs sets and after the 2nd set of super deluxe versions i gave up . And of course there going to be the ultimate episode 1-6 box collection on dvd, then the high def ones eventually .

Am i wrong or is lucas a star wars pimp ?

United States
    Does Luke still scream like a bitch while falling after Darth Vader cuts off his hand?

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    Does Luke still scream like a bitch while falling after Darth Vader cuts off his hand?
    No, he keeps his mouth shut.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    Yeah, I avoided that and saved $20 on all 3 of them by going to Walmart. The tin wasn't that cool and was definatly not worth spending $20 more just to get it.

Actually, I haven't bought anything from Best Buy in about a month, and I used to spend so much money there. I went there for 3 things, cheap CD-Rs, a cd, and a dvd and they didn't have any of what I wanted so I went to Circuit City which was 1/2 mile down the road. I got 50 Phillips CD-Rs for $5, the CD for $10, but they didn't have the movie I was looking for (it's rare). I really don't like Best Buy anymore, especially since Circuit City has better prices.
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ehh....I already bought the other DVD set. I may not agree with all the changes that Lucas made....but they're his films and he's allowed. I actually really like the Special Editions. They're not the originals, of course.....but they're not as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

I'll pass on these new ones. Plus, the "Empire of Dreams" DVD that came with the last set is awesome. Great documentary...

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Wasn't there supposed to be a box set as well?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Twitching

Undisclosed
    These limited edition originals may lack a crisp picture, 5'1, DTS sound but one film among them actually benefits from the changes, The Empire Strikes Back. The only things CGI'd was the battle of Hoth making it look less like a toy fight and more like a battle, and Cloud city the only addition there was windows.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ok, I found the box set TIN at Best Buy, seems to only be exclusive to Best Buy. Now here are my main complaints.

Lucas definately wrote over the original prints of the film. The Original films look like a possible Laserdisc or even VHS transfer of the original films, and they are presented in 4:3 2.35:1 widescreen, which means instead ofusing the entire 50" of my TV it use only 2/3 and puts black bars on the side to simulate 4:3 TV and then letterboxes that picture. The transfer is horrible as well as the sound. So he wasn't kidding when he said he wrote over the original prints of the film. He had too when you look at the less then stellar transfers of the original films.

Now the special editions of the films are shown in 16:9 enhnaced 2.35:1 with 5.1 sound. I don't mind the original versions aren't 5.1, but damn... you couldn't clean up the audio before putting it onto a DVD? Also I hate the fact the hybrid editions are 16:9 enhanced , but the originals are 4:3 letterbox. That pisses me off to know end.

Bonus features, they are a complete waste. Although the XBOX lego Star Wars video game demo is pretty cool.

I wouldn't say LUCAS is redeemed. Considering what he gave us I want his head on platter. This release is an insult not to mention the wasting of $70.00 on my end. Hell my VHS original widescreen versions have a better picture than the DVD releases. Pathetic to say the least.

DAMN you LUCAS for sullying the entire Saga with the blasphemous Episodes 1-3, and then altering Epsidoes 4-6 to the point no one will ever get a crisp version of those films in true 16:9. You sir should be banned from ever touching another piece of celluloid again.

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THESE DVD's. THEY ARE PATHETIC
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

ViP

United States
    They are from the same source as the CAV Laserdisc Boxset released around 1993. You know how I know that they are not actual laserdisc captures? Because in Empire, it shows Leia welding. On the laserdiscs, that was a flip point, so it was a major fan gripe for years that Leia's welding was missing. I'm guessing they just snagged it off of whatever BETA master they had lying around. You are right DJ, this almost certainly means that there is no film negative to be restored.