Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Near perfect preservation

capncnut

Near perfect preservation

Rosalia Lombardo died in 1920 aged two. She was one of the very last bodies to be placed in the Capuchin catacombs of Palermo, Italy.

Click for image.

Her remains are in a glass topped coffin on a marble pedestal in a small room of the catacombs. She was allegedly embalmed by Dr. Alfredo Solafia using a secret process which he never divulged before his death. She is regarded as something of a saint-like figure and onlookers have often claimed how it appears as if she is sleeping.

Click for close-up.

I have linked the images in case anyone finds them offensive but I think she has held up remarkably well considering the year of her passing. Amazing!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Rosalia Lombardo died in 1920 aged two. She was one of the very last bodies to be placed in the Capuchin catacombs of Palermo, Italy.

Click for image.

Her remains are in a glass topped coffin on a marble pedestal in a small room of the catacombs. She was allegedly embalmed by Dr. Alfredo Solafia using a secret process which he never divulged before his death. She is regarded as something of a saint-like figure and onlookers have often claimed how it appears as if she is sleeping.

Click for close-up.

I have linked the images in case anyone finds them offensive but I think she has held up remarkably well considering the year of her passing. Amazing!

That IS amazing. Shame hat he took the secret with him though. Perhaps the fact that she was so young contributed to it. I've always been interested in that type of stuff from the human psychological aspect. As far as recorded history goes we have had the need to preserve and bury our dead. Why? When did that spark go of if the human brain that dictated that this was the decent thing to do? Fasinating.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That really is amazing! It does look like she's sleeping.

Kinda creepy, though...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    That really is amazing! It does look like she's sleeping.

Kinda creepy, though...
    Dude, of course it's creepy !!! I think that if you polled people that most of them would say that they find a dead body at the very least unnerving.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Dude, of course it's creepy !!! I think that if you polled people that most of them would say that they find a dead body at the very least unnerving.
    Yeah, I know. I just felt the need to say it. I've seen all those egytion things that look like crap, but this is the first i've seen of a kid. And a kid that looks almost alive at that. Gave me a pinch of the heebie jeebies...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's true. In the movies, when they cast children in roles like the ring and the grudge it just makes it creepier for some reason as well.

capncnut
    I find the images very peaceful and beautiful as it happens. Although if I was standing over her coffin, I might feel different.

United States
    As most of you know, I am in the industry, and I have to say that the level preservation is totally amazing.

I have personally seen disinterrments of remains dating from the 1920's that were very well preserved, but not to this level, and once exposed to the air the level of preservation does not keep. I have also seen disinterrments of remains that had been interred for only a few years where there was nothing remaining but bones and hair. I have no clue how in the case of this child she can remain so well preserved.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't know what else to say other than "That is amazing."

I don't find it very creepy... but I also don't find it beautiful. I suppose I'm on the middle ground? I feel it's more intriguing than anything.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    It's actually in Sicily. But close enough.

My dad was stationed in Sicily about thirty years ago. I got to see it.

She's actually one of the milder exhibits at the place.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    didnt they have something like this involving a nun over there too?

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by brer View Post
    It's actually in Sicily. But close enough.
    Palermo - Sicily - Southern Italy, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    didnt they have something like this involving a nun over there too?
    WTF? A preserved nun?
    Last edited by capncnut; 04-Sep-2008 at 08:56 PM.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Palermo - Sicily - Southern Italy, LOL.

WTF? A preserved nun?
    hell i think it was mother teresa. idk. someone was in a looking glass coffin and wasnt preserved.

Undisclosed
    Maybe she is just waiting for the prince to kiss her?

United States
    I remember hearing something, don't know if it is true, about Eva Peron's remains were also very well preserved and that her remains had been stolen several times by various folks who were obsessed with her. Apparently, she had been "abused" a few times when she had been stolen. This occured so many times that the Argentine government had her body moved to a secret undisclosed location to prevent these "fans" from stealing her remains ever again.

Again, this is just something that had been told to me, don't know if it is true. Perhaps someone knows more about this than I.

In rethinking this, perhaps the little girl's glass coffin is hermetically sealed. Theoretically this would aid in the preservation of human remains, at least for a while.

Weird how glass fronted coffins used to be very popular in the 20's, BTW. I never see anything like that in any of the current catalogs.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."