Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spiderman 4 & 5...

Administrator

England

Spiderman 4 & 5...

...let's hope they can keep the quality up

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7601703.stm
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    number 3 was a travesty....let's hope they get better!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I loved all three equally. But they do need Sam Raimi, Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst for the film to be good. Otherwise, I won't bother with them. And they need a good screenwriter too. Or Sam Raimi can write it himself, with a script doctor watching over his shoulder. That'd do too.

Super Moderator

UK
    Oooooh ... back-to-back ... danger Will Robinson! DANGER!

It's a tricky line to tread, it's great if you get the formula right, but it sucks if you get it wrong.

BTTF2 + 3 = yes please.

LOTR Trilogy = yes please.

Matrix 2 + 3 = cut the pseudo-philosophical "ergo" bollocks out and we'll talk.

I like all the Spider-Man films, but three was definitely the least of the three, so they need to step up and pay attention to where it went wrong for three, definitely.

I'll watch and indeed buy on DVD, a fourth and fifth if Maguire and Raimi are involved, but it does seem a bit excessive ... seems anyway.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Oooooh ... back-to-back ... danger Will Robinson! DANGER!

It's a tricky line to tread, it's great if you get the formula right, but it sucks if you get it wrong.

BTTF2 + 3 = yes please.

LOTR Trilogy = yes please.

Matrix 2 + 3 = cut the pseudo-philosophical "ergo" bollocks out and we'll talk.
    I disagree. The LOTR trilogy went to **** after the first film, but the Matrix films succeeded. The Pirates sequels also sucked, but that probably didn't have anything to do with them being back-to-back.

United States
    Sam Raimi, Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst have to be involved in Spiderman 4 & 5,or I won't watch them.

Undisclosed
    I was a little disappointed with part 3, but the kids liked it so I will probably be forced to experience 4 and 5.

United States
    One has to wonder what the plans are for Mary Jane since they have nullified their marriage in the comics and brought Gwen Stacy into the movies?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    number 3 was a travesty....let's hope they get better!
    Slightly harsh... Not as 'clean' as 1 and 2, but still had some merit IMHO..
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm baffled as to why people are suggesting they keep Dunst on board. She's the worst part of the trilogy, imo.

I'll no doubt see it, but I've never been that big into Spiderman anyway. He's a whiney little bitch. He could learn a thing or two from the Batman.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I'm baffled as to why people are suggesting they keep Dunst on board. She's the worst part of the trilogy, imo.

I'll no doubt see it, but I've never been that big into Spiderman anyway. He's a whiney little bitch. He could learn a thing or two from the Batman.
    lol

True, they're very different characters ... Batman is who every little boy wants to be when they grow up.

Spider-Man (sans web slinging) is who every little boy will become when they bust out that first downstairs-hair.

Spider-Man speaks to a very different audience, and examines far different angles. It's a high school/college/young adult dealing with growing up, the coming of responsibility (both real life, and in terms of a crime fighter), and generally being a socially awkward dark horse.

Now, Batman - a dude who's got no super powers at all - that's far, far darker, more adult, it's dark, it's brooding, it's filled with all sorts of dark, brooding and violent themes ... murder, revenge, anger etc.

I really enjoyed the Spider-Man movies, and just like them generally too as movies ... now Batman Begins, that blew me away as a film, regardless of genre, and likewise The Dark Knight was a film that not only blew my clothes off, but gave me a right good seeing too and left me with a ruddy great big smile on my face. A superb film full stop.

Where was I? Oh yeah, new Spider-Man movies...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Where was I? Oh yeah, new Spider-Man movies...

Yeah. Nolan has set a new bar when it comes to comic-to-film adaptations.

Anyone hear about DC Comics/Warner Bros wanting to make all their upcoming films 'darker' because of the success of The Dark Knight? Big mistake, imo. Superman can't be dark. It just wouldn't work. You can't make every superhero film dark just because TDK did well. Batman warrants a dark atmosphere. That doesn't mean every other DC character deserves the same...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post

Yeah. Nolan has set a new bar when it comes to comic-to-film adaptations.

Anyone hear about DC Comics/Warner Bros wanting to make all their upcoming films 'darker' because of the success of The Dark Knight? Big mistake, imo. Superman can't be dark. It just wouldn't work. You can't make every superhero film dark just because TDK did well. Batman warrants a dark atmosphere. That doesn't mean every other DC character deserves the same...
    Damn straight on both counts, Nolan treated Batman not like a comic book movie, but like a real dramatic story - and therefore, SUCCESS. Nolan FTW!

As for the others wanting darker movies - NO. The reason that BB and TDK are dark, is because that's how Batman is intended to be, and has always been intended since the beginning.

Spider-Man was a huge success, because Raimi made that like the comics intended it to be, it HAS to be what's right for the franchise, each individual franchise.

Geezus, sometimes I feel like I should be hired by Hollywood to march around town, slapping these moronic execs into various next weeks for having such stupid, ill-thought out ideas.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Slightly harsh... Not as 'clean' as 1 and 2, but still had some merit IMHO..
    To be honest, I totally disagree....

Case in point: the one person who just happens to be escaping from the police ends up in an unexplained scientific test field....and turns into the sandman....the one person who can stop the sand man gets a little black symbiote splodge on his bike....the one photographer who's taking pictures of the building falling apart demonstrates literally NO emotion when his "girlfriend" is dangling off the side of the building, but can crack a joke to the police chief about dating his daughter...Symbiot suit gives Peter Parker amazing piano playing and dancing skills...fine...but that scene was stupid...the whole thing was stupid, so random, and nothing felt like "fate"...

no character development, it was all just slushed in there, no real storyline, things just happen and nothing felt fleshed out with any detail, it was rushed, boring and most of all, badly scripted and directed...I really hated 3, but loved the other two.

Canada
    it's a damn shame that spider man could break batman in two pretty quickly.

Spider man speaks to a broader audience. He doesn't have enough cash to fund super gadgets (ala Bruce Wayne or Tony Stark) and is for all intents and purposes, a normal guy (outside of his spider man persona) trying to make a living in the world.

He struggled to get through early life, and despite being a genius, never had the cash to really succeed.

He isn't schooled in martial arts, but fights using a style that accentuates his natural strength and agility. He has to throw his punches and hold back constantly otherwise he'd kill a normal human (such as Batman) without too much effort.

What they really have in common though, is their intelligence and that they often have to outsmart an opponent, and use their natural talents to beat them.

But honestly, Batman should go back to being the worlds greatest detective, and fighting people along his levels. Not this plot armored nonsense we tend to see in comics with him now...