Thread: Speed Racer ... oh dear ...

Super Moderator

UK

Speed Racer ... oh dear ...

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/09/speed-racer.html

Just thought I'd chaff Neil's MO for a minute there, anyway ... not very good so it is.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    it was a toy advert, simple as.

Dying

Undisclosed
    Car-fu.
    I've never heard that term before.

Super Moderator

UK
    It was what the Wachowski's used to refer to the car fighting, you know, all that flipping over, skidding about, knocking into each other wank.

Hellsing - surely, the toy advert of all time was the Transformers cartoon? That's not dissing the show, even though I never watched it, but that was it's primary purpose in life right?

There were toys connected to Speed Racer, but it didn't feel like a toy advert to me, it felt like two overly-lauded filmmakers who've only made one truly awesome film, one rather good film, and two decent but very flabby movies geeking out in truly spoodge-tastic fashion, recreating one of their favourite kiddy tv shows ... but aside from the visuals, failing miserably to conjure up anything good.

All the stuff regarding the stock market, like with the numbers flashing up on screen just made me chuckle, feels so out of place in a movie so clearly aimed at kids (big kids aside, that is).

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I never had any intention of paying to see this film. You've just proven that I made the right choice...

The Wachowski's need to go back to their roots and start at ground zero. Maybe a remake of Bound with Scarlett Johanson and Natalie Portman? I'm not serious about that, but they should definitely think outside of the box and bring us something as cool as the original Matrix.

Obviously they have it in them...

Super Moderator

UK
    Indeed Sir, Bound and The Matrix were two great films, then they went all over the shop, culminating in ... *sigh* ... Speed Racer.

Hmmm...I wouldn't half mind seeing a remake of Bound with Scarlett Johansson involved ... you know, shot on DV, by me...in her bedroom...

United States
    This movie looks horrible.I'am glad I didn't go see it.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Speedracer looks beyond horrible. It was niche cartoon, with not a very wide market, and it just shows that not everything is going to appeal to everyone. The major mistake was greenlighting this movie, with its stupid over the top look and script.

Car-Fu, what the ****? Now if two Hookers get to fighting are they going to call it Ho-Fu?

These guys need to get over themselves. Like MZ said, they made one awesome flick (Matrix 1) one good one (Matrix 2) a drab finale (Matrix 3) and this geeked out spoodge fest excuse for a live action cartoon.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    Check out their first flick - "Bound" - it's a good neo-noir with plenty of lesbian action.

We actually studied it one week during a film noir course I took.

"Ho-Fu", gotta love it, I'd watch that for sure.