Thread: American Gladiators vs UK Gladiators...

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed

American Gladiators vs UK Gladiators...

I just watched the American Gladiators on Sky last night, gotta say it made for a very entertaining viewing...I'm a fan of the new and old Gladiators that we get here in the UK, so to see this was an amazing insight into how the show goes across the pond!

They definitely have a different style, aside from a lot more trash talk, from both contenders and gladiators, you can hear the comments made by contenders and gladiators (they mix the sound differently) but it's definitely not as polished as the UK version. However it's more theatrical in places and sometimes feels very intense. I have to say, the Duel (or Joust as it's called in the US) is much better in the American version. The one I saw, they were pummelling each other, it was a really good watch! Usually over here it's very stunted, and choppy, but over there they were really hammering each other off the podiums...brilliant stuff. They obviously have better set ups and more money to throw at it, and sometimes it shows.

However the attitudes of the contestants seem to echo the US version of The Weakest Link, people seem to be happy to be bad losers when it doesn't go their way...and during the Eliminator, the American contestants were struggling all the way to the end, literally on their knees by the time they were at the Travelator...they also have a rope to pull themselves up the last bit, which obviously the UK version doesn't have.

I think they were totally wrecked by that point due to a much slicker set up which means the contestants are thrown from game to game without any breaks in between, whilst I know for a fact that there's a good hour's set up between games in the UK version, due to it's much smaller scale. Still, the US version has people really going for it, and makes for an amazing watch!!

Super Moderator

UK
    It's like comparing Big Brother UK to Big Brother USA, ours is more about just hanging out in a house and the inevitable household issues ... kinda like living in university accomodation, or dorms.

Whereas in America it's all about the game, and scheming assholes f*cking each other over to win the prize money, whilst people are evicted by T-Mobile advertisements during the show, spoken by the ghastly presenter who's covered in make-up and plastic and fake teeth, there's an awful voice over, flash-backs and all sorts of dreadful sh*t.

And no, leave your "Big Brother is sh*t" comments where they are for once in your damn lives! Can't I make one f*cking observation about the show, particularly one that's pertinent to the thread at hand, without some lummox blundering in with their cut & paste hatred?

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    big brother is ****....sorry MZ.... hahaha jk...I just thought I'd get that one out there before anyone else...

i've never watched either show really, and have no intention of doing so....I love The Apprentice and stuff...that's a US version i would LOVE to see....

I love watching the US counterparts of shows that are popular over here, sometimes they miss the mark, sometimes they turn out to be better...Gladiators is a show I'm not decided on...
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 08-Sep-2008 at 05:57 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    I used to watch Gladiators in the mid 90s when it was first done on UK television, I have fond memories of getting back from the bi-monthly supermarket shop on a Saturday, a chinese take out had just been ordered, and I was sat watching Gladiators.

Seen a bit of the re-incarnation, essentially the same but with different presenters/gladiators.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Who would win in a fight between the American gladiators and the English gladiators?

I don't want any patriotic banter either, just wondering which gladiator group you guys think would win if they had a good ol' fashioned donnybrook.
    Last edited by Dillinger; 08-Sep-2008 at 11:35 PM.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    Who would win in a fight between the American gladiators and the English gladiators?

I don't want any patriotic banter either, just wondering which gladiator group you guys think would win if they had a good ol' fashioned donnybrook.
    Well, one side (the US) is the product of blatant steroid abuse....so....probably the US guys. lol

Seriously the US ones are a lot bigger, but I don't think by and large they are more agile. However, contests like Hang Tough would be won by the UK Glads, but Duel/Joust would see the UK lot get pummeled right off the podiums into the water, no doubt.

Now the eliminator, that I'd LOVE to see as a face off!

England
    Wolf would kick all their asses...

Rarghhh!

And the original "Jet" is still the best!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon