Thread: Ben Hur

Administrator

England

Ben Hur

Anyone noticed that Ben Hur is f***ing awesome! It's going to be 50 years old next year!

An absolutely stunning piece of work!

Got to wonder if/when they will decide to remake it again! I suspect they'd have to downplay the religious elements of the story? But they that is a major part of it!?

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Yeah,Ben Hur is a great movie.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, it really is fantastic. I have the four disc SE set and tend to watch it every 6 months or so. Great piece of work.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Yeah, it really is fantastic. I have the four disc SE set and tend to watch it every 6 months or so. Great piece of work.
    Is the commentary worth listening to? I assume Chucks on it?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Is the commentary worth listening to? I assume Chucks on it?
    This is the one I have. I'm not sure if it's only on R1 or not, but I imagine you probably have a region free player.

http://www.amazon.com/Ben-Hur-Four-D...0968123&sr=8-2

The biggest commentary is by a film historian while Heston's commentary is only in certain scenes. The film historian commentary is quite interesting if you're into that sort of thing.

The set also comes with several featurettes and the original full 1925 film. It's a set that's definitely worth it's wait in gold. I've enjoyed in many times on many different occasions. It draws you back again and again.

And let's not forget how awesome the HUGE sets and matte paintings look in that WIDE widescreen on a DVD. If i'm not mistaken, the widescreen used on this film is the largest widescreen available and they actually don't use it anymore, but man it looks fantastic on DVD. And the score. Wow. Incredible.

Film: 10/10
    DVD Set: 9.5/10

Get it.

Administrator

England
    Just spotted there is talk of a Ben Hur miniseries, produced by the son of William Wyler (the 1959 director)... Could be interesting...

http://uk.reuters.com/article/lifest...32749720080409

BTW - Here's youtube of the 1907 version

-Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    This is the one I have. I'm not sure if it's only on R1 or not, but I imagine you probably have a region free player.

http://www.amazon.com/Ben-Hur-Four-D...0968123&sr=8-2

The biggest commentary is by a film historian while Heston's commentary is only in certain scenes. The film historian commentary is quite interesting if you're into that sort of thing.

The set also comes with several featurettes and the original full 1925 film. It's a set that's definitely worth it's wait in gold. I've enjoyed in many times on many different occasions. It draws you back again and again.

And let's not forget how awesome the HUGE sets and matte paintings look in that WIDE widescreen on a DVD. If i'm not mistaken, the widescreen used on this film is the largest widescreen available and they actually don't use it anymore, but man it looks fantastic on DVD. And the score. Wow. Incredible.

Film: 10/10
    DVD Set: 9.5/10

Get it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben-Hur...)#Aspect_ratio

Aspect ratio of 2.76:1 - the largest ever, indeed. Three times wide as it is high, interesting that it was often projected at 2.50:1 in cinemas ... I guess everybody would have appeared a bit tall and thin then eh?

Wasn't there a whole gay subtext thing in this between Heston's dude and his BFF?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Aspect ratio of 2.76:1 - the largest ever, indeed. Three times wide as it is high.
    And the award for the most dim comment of the week goes to

Actually it's 2.76 times as wide as it is high
    -Carl Sagan

Christmas Island
    It's even cooler when you consider that it was written by a Civil War General - Lew Wallace.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Anyone noticed that Ben Hur is f***ing awesome! It's going to be 50 years old next year!

An absolutely stunning piece of work!

Got to wonder if/when they will decide to remake it again! I suspect they'd have to downplay the religious elements of the story? But they that is a major part of it!?

hmm, a bit overlong for me...like the Heston film about Moses....whatever it's called....just...too....long...

and pretty boring...the chariot scene is what you wait for in Ben Hur...it's akin to waiting 172 minutes just to hear Pacino say "say hello to my little friend!"....

Defo not a movie I can enjoy...

oh also, i heard a rumour that you can see a car in the background of the chariot scene, is this confirmed?
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 10-Sep-2008 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    hmm, a bit overlong for me...like the Heston film about Moses....whatever it's called....just...too....long...

and pretty boring...the chariot scene is what you wait for in Ben Hur...it's akin to waiting 172 minutes just to hear Pacino say "say hello to my little friend!"....

Defo not a movie I can enjoy...
    Too long? Yes it is long, so I guess you have to be in the right mood to watch it, but it's a great story that's a real joy to sit through. I almost wish there was an extended version with more story in it...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    And the award for the most dim comment of the week goes to

Actually it's 2.76 times as wide as it is high
    *sigh* I was rounding up ...

What do you expect when I was jonesing for yet another sesh on Bad Company so I could blow the sh*t out of some more buildings.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    *sigh* I was rounding up ...
    Do you find you have to round size up that much often?
    -Carl Sagan

United States

Super Moderator

UK
    *sigh*

Only when I'm lazy and jonesing for Bad Company videogaming.

And it's not the width of your widescreen that counts, it's what's in the frame.