Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Knight to be re-released

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Obviously it's your opinion if you dislike the film, but branding it a sucess just because of Ledger's death is...well...pathetic, tbh. No doubt some morons saw it just because of Ledger and they had no interest in Batman, but you think those people alone account for the 900+(and counting) million that it's made? I think not. If they account for anything it would be a like...a million at most. So obviously it stands on it's own feet as a generally liked film regardless of the two deaths associated with it.

Batman Begins and Chris Nolan were the biggest factors. Although BB didn't blow away the box office, it gained a great following over the years and everyone was waiting for the follow up.

And I disagree with your opinion on The Crow. When I first saw it, I knew nothing of Lee's death and still thought it was a cool film. Still do.
    It was totally over hyped due to Ledger's death....no doubt about it. Turn on movies news for months and all you hear is "The Dark Knight, with the late heath ledger"

I agree the Crow is good...could've been better, but obvious cicumstance has pretty much canned all of it's subplots...shame.

I'm not saying people turned up to it just because of Ledger, but it's the one thing that's notable about the movie "ledger's performance blah blah"...my argument is that his performance, whilst very strong, wouldn't have gotten half the recognition without the words "the late..." before Ledger's name...You're also making up statistics about the movie that we both can never confirm, or deny...the truth is we don't know what people's motives for seeing the movie were, but I'm saying in terms of the industry, it's their way of literally beating a dead donkey.

BB was not a *bad* movie...but it wasn't great. It was also long, drawn out, whilst I loved the characterisations, I just couldn't get over how slow and droning it was...but it was over all an enjoyable flick that reinvigorated the genre...but I still don't believe that Nolan is any good, sorry...if he was he'd learn how to pace his movie - and TDK is just testament to them including like almost every available piece of Heath Ledger footage just to "honour" him or something. It's hero worship and it actually detracts from the fact that Nolan has made two marginally enjoyable batman movies, with this latest offering I certainly don't believe it would be considered "oscar worthy". And I guarantee you - who'll win the oscar? If anyone, it'll be Ledger. It won't be Christian Bale...and it won't be Nolan for his direction...it'll be "posthumanously" awarded to Ledger - and aside from Jonny Depp's portrayal of Captain Jack Sparrow, when has a mainstream hollywood action movie ever had a "best actor" even nominated for it? Look at wiki, you'll find there are very very few.

Administrator

England
    I actually thought Aaron Eckhart's performance was one of the best!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    hmm, interesting....when this movie finally comes on Sky I'll give it another go and keep my eyes on him...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well your opinion on BB, TDK, and Nolan is your own and you're entitled to it, but you would most likely be in the minority on that one. Go look up some reviews and audience reactions. I would say that most people like this film for it's own merits and not the death's that occured to the cast and crew.

And Nolan in no way altered the film because of Ledger's death. He stated that shortly after the news of the death. He continued the film exactly the way he would have if nothing had happened to Heath. And you think he used too much Joker? I thought he used too little.

If Ledger's death brought all that money, acclaim, and popularity to the film, what happened to Chris Farley and John Candy's posthumous films?

Either way, I love it and in my mind it's without a doubt the best comic-to-film adaptation yet. It actually breaks free of the genre and becomes just a great crime drama in it's own right. Roll on with the DVD and re-release, I say!

Administrator

England
    Well your opinion on BB, TDK, and Nolan is your own and you're entitled to it, but you would most likely be in the minority on that one. Go look up some reviews and audience reactions. I would say that most people like this film for it's own merits and not the death's that occured to the cast and crew.

And Nolan in no way altered the film because of Ledger's death. He stated that shortly after the news of the death. He continued the film exactly the way he would have if nothing had happened to Heath. And you think he used too much Joker? I thought he used too little.

If Ledger's death brought all that money, acclaim, and popularity to the film, what happened to Chris Farley and John Candy's posthumous films?

Either way, I love it and in my mind it's without a doubt the best comic-to-film adaptation yet. It actually breaks free of the genre and becomes just a great crime drama in it's own right. Roll on with the DVD and re-release, I say!
    It's a shame Katie Holmes' wasn't in the second one... Wonder what the deal was there!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    OK without sounding like I'm totally ragging on this movie - here are the oscar winners for Best supporting actor from 1970s to present:

1970s
    1970 John Mills - Ryan's Daughter as Michael
    1971 Ben Johnson - The Last Picture Show as Sam the Lion
    1972 Joel Grey - Cabaret as Master of Ceremonies
    1973 John Houseman - The Paper Chase as Charles W. Kingsfield Jr.
    1974 Robert De Niro - The Godfather Part II as Vito Corleone
    1975 George Burns - The Sunshine Boys as Al Lewis
    1976 Jason Robards - All the President's Men as Ben Bradlee
    1977 Jason Robards - Julia as Dashiell Hammett
    1978 Christopher Walken - The Deer Hunter as Nikonar 'Nick' Chevotarevich
    1979 Melvyn Douglas - Being There as Benjamin Turnbull Rand
    1980 Timothy Hutton - Ordinary People as Conrad Jarrett
    1981 John Gielgud - Arthur as Hobson
    1982 Louis Gossett, Jr. - An Officer and A Gentleman as Gunnery Sergeant Emil Foley
    1983 Jack Nicholson - Terms of Endearment as Garrett Breedlove
    1984 Haing S. Ngor - The Killing Fields as Dith Pran
    1985 Don Ameche - Cocoon as Arthur Selwyn
    1986 Michael Caine - Hannah and Her Sisters as Elliot
    1987 Sean Connery - The Untouchables as Jim Malone
    1988 Kevin Kline - A Fish Called Wanda as Otto West
    1989 Denzel Washington - Glory as Pvt. Trip
    1990 Joe Pesci - Goodfellas as Tommy DeVito
    1991 Jack Palance - City Slickers as Curly Washburn
    1992 Gene Hackman - Unforgiven as Little Bill Daggett
    1993 Tommy Lee Jones - The Fugitive as Marshall Samuel Gerard
    1994 Martin Landau - Ed Wood as Bela Lugosi
    1995 Kevin Spacey - The Usual Suspects as Roger 'Verbal' Kint
    1996 Cuba Gooding, Jr. - Jerry Maguire as Rod Tidwell
    1997 Robin Williams - Good Will Hunting as Sean Maguire
    1998 James Coburn - Affliction as Glen Whitehouse
    1999 Michael Caine - The Cider House Rules as Dr. Wilbur Larch
    2000 Benicio del Toro - Traffic as Javier Rodriguez Rodriguez
    2001 Jim Broadbent - Iris as John Bayley
    2002 Chris Cooper - Adaptation. as John Laroche
    2003 Tim Robbins - Mystic River as Dave Boyle
    2004 Morgan Freeman - Million Dollar Baby as Eddie "Scrap-Iron" Dupris
    2005 George Clooney - Syriana as Bob Barnes
    2006 Alan Arkin - Little Miss Sunshine as Edwin Hoover
    2007 Javier Bardem - No Country for Old Men as Anton Chigurh

Here are the winners of best lead actor from 1970s to present:

1970 George C. Scott - Patton as Gen. George S. Patton Jr. (declined)
    1971 Gene Hackman - The French Connection as Jimmy "Popeye" Doyle
    1972 Marlon Brando - The Godfather as Don Vito Corleone (declined)
    1973 Jack Lemmon - Save the Tiger as Harry Stoner
    1974 Art Carney - Harry and Tonto as Harry Coombes
    1975 Jack Nicholson - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest as R.P. McMurphy
    1976 Peter Finch - Network as Howard Beale (posthumous win)
    1977 Richard Dreyfuss - The Goodbye Girl as Elliot Garfield
    1978 Jon Voight - Coming Home as Luke Martin
    1979 Dustin Hoffman - Kramer vs. Kramer as Ted Kramer
    1980 Robert De Niro - Raging Bull as Jake LaMotta
    1981 Henry Fonda - On Golden Pond as Norman Thayer
    1982 Ben Kingsley - Gandhi as Mahatma Gandhi
    1983 Robert Duvall - Tender Mercies as Mac Sledge
    1984 F. Murray Abraham - Amadeus as Antonio Salieri
    1985 William Hurt - Kiss of the Spider Woman as Luis Molina
    1986 Paul Newman - The Color of Money as Fast Eddie Felson
    1986 Paul Newman - The Color of Money as Fast Eddie Felson
    1988 Dustin Hoffman - Rain Man as Raymond Babbitt
    1989 Daniel Day-Lewis - My Left Foot as Christy Brown
    1990 Jeremy Irons - Reversal of Fortune as Claus von Bülow
    1991 Anthony Hopkins - The Silence of the Lambs as Hannibal Lecter
    1992 Al Pacino - Scent of a Woman as Lieutenant Colonel Frank Slade
    1993 Tom Hanks - Philadelphia as Andrew Beckett
    1994 Tom Hanks - Forrest Gump as Forrest Gump
    1995 Nicolas Cage - Leaving Las Vegas as Ben Sanderson
    1996 Geoffrey Rush - Shine as David Helfgott
    1997 Jack Nicholson - As Good as It Gets as Melvin Udall
    1998 Roberto Benigni - Life Is Beautiful as Guido Orefice
    1999 Kevin Spacey - American Beauty as Lester Burnham
    2000 Russell Crowe - Gladiator as Maximus Decimus Meridius
    2001 Denzel Washington - Training Day as Alonzo Harris
    2002 Adrien Brody - The Pianist as Wladyslaw Szpilman
    2003 Sean Penn - Mystic River as Jimmy Markum
    2004 Jamie Foxx - Ray as Ray Charles
    2005 Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote as Truman Capote
    2006 Forest Whitaker - The Last King of Scotland as Idi Amin
    2007 Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood as Daniel Plainview

NOTABLE: a *nomination* for Jonny depp in Pirates - not a win...
    Johnny Depp - Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl as Jack Sparrow

See the decided lack of action/comic book movies there? Notice how most of these winners are indeed dramas?

Now, are the special effects and soundtrack enough to propell this movie into Academy Award fame on their own, sans Ledger's performance? Probably not.

So what award is the studio going for? Best Special Effects? Best Direction? Best overall movie of the year ever on the face of the universe? Do you honestly think that? I personally, don't.

They're going for best supporting actor....and they're going for Heath Ledger....and he'll probably win...and if you marry up the past winners, to Ledger's character in Batman...well, I'm not saying it is TOTALLY outlandish...but it's a complete side step from what the Oscars usually promotes as an award ceremony...and why this huge sidestep, if he wins? Because he's dead....that's all I'm saying. It just doesn't make sense. If Ledger was alive...would this be happening?! I so, so seriously doubt it.

That's all I'm saying, I'm not ragging on anyone here, I'm just doing basic mathematics, and using basic logic.

I do agree with most of what you said, but I just don't believe, in any way, that any of TDK is Oscar worthy - look at my other post that I just made a second ago, look at past winners...and tell me you don't feel there's a fishy element....!!!
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 11-Sep-2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    dude...i'm not arguing with you about the oscars thing. You may be right on the ledger part, or they could be trying to go for best picture because of the film's success. I'm not saying it will happen because as you pointed out, it never has in the past, but times do change. I doubt it, but it could happen seeing as how comic/superhero films are a HUGE part of hollywood these days.

If anything, I think ledger deserves the oscar because they stiffed him for Brokeback Mountain. He was nominated, but I definitely think he deserved the win. With the Joker he created something unique, but is it the best this year? I don't know. Probably not.

As Neil pointed out earlier, if they think Ledger deserves an oscar nod, then Aaron Eckhart really deserves one for Harvey Two Face as well. He get's over looked alot for some reason(perhaps the Ledger hoopla you mentioned) but he was fantastic. A WELL rounded role. Not to mention the main character of the film....

Super Moderator

UK
    Don't worry mate, you can put your order in right now at play.com if you want... http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/65539...cid=1655075731 (for the 3 disc version!)
    Ooh you f*ckin' bitch...

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    dude...i'm not arguing with you about the oscars thing. You may be right on the ledger part, or they could be trying to go for best picture because of the film's success. I'm not saying it will happen because as you pointed out, it never has in the past, but times do change. I doubt it, but it could happen seeing as how comic/superhero films are a HUGE part of hollywood these days.

If anything, I think ledger deserves the oscar because they stiffed him for Brokeback Mountain. He was nominated, but I definitely think he deserved the win. With the Joker he created something unique, but is it the best this year? I don't know. Probably not.

As Neil pointed out earlier, if they think Ledger deserves an oscar nod, then Aaron Eckhart really deserves one for Harvey Two Face as well. He get's over looked alot for some reason(perhaps the Ledger hoopla you mentioned) but he was fantastic. A WELL rounded role. Not to mention the main character of the film....

Some people have said it's a bit...erm....thin on the ground? I dunno...I kinda watched the movie a bit mashed and forgot most of it...so I know some of my comments aren't too well founded - but yeah....cool discussion anyway...

I think our wires may be crossed between the points of me thinking that this oscar thing is about his death, and maybe you thinking I am attributing the film's success to his death - which I'm not...I think it was promoted by and large because of his death but I think it was successful simply because it's a dark action comic book movie with Batman in it!!
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 11-Sep-2008 at 04:35 PM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Ooh you f*ckin' bitch...
    LOL Sorry
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i agree, ledger played a good character, but it was just that, not the joker, just a great character, while eckhart played two face spot on like he had stepped off the comics.

and the less said about batbale the better

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i agree, ledger played a good character, but it was just that, not the joker, just a great character,
    What? Are you serious? Ledger is so far the ONLY actor to get the character right.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    the guy ledger played was not the joker i've been reading in the comics for years. the acting was fantastic but he felt more like a bad guy from a marvel comic book than dc if you get what i mean.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If you're talking about recent comics, then no....he wasn't that guy. This Joker was based on his first appearences in Batman #1, Arkham Asylum, and The Killing Joke. Minus the origin, of course.

Ledger's joker is the closest anyones ever come and probably ever will come to getting the character right.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's a shame Katie Holmes' wasn't in the second one... Wonder what the deal was there!

My Guess... Mr. Katie Holmes had something to do with it.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*