Thread: "Altered" - from Eduardo Sanchez of Blair Witch fame

United States

"Altered" - from Eduardo Sanchez of Blair Witch fame

I was curious to see something else by the creators of Blair Witch, just to see if there was something there or if it was maybe just a one hit wonder type of thing. I saw this one it the local Wally World & it sounded interesting, so I added it to my Netfilx list & saw it about a week ago.

My feelings on it...meh. That's about all I can say.

The jist of it is hillbillies vs aliens. Shades of "Fire In The Sky" & "Communion", w/just a hint of NOTLD & "Signs" with characters straight outta "Joe Dirt" would be about the best way I can describe it.

GOOD make-up and creature FX, but the story was just too uneven & implausible w/ a couple of outright "WTF" moments.

Might be worth a rent, that's about all.

United States
    Yeah,I watched it last month and it is a really bad movie.

Australia
    I actually really enjoyed this movie... the dark scenes, and suspense made it interesting. I thought it would be really bad, but there are much worse movies out there. I recommend a watch!
    zombies
    eat flesh.

Administrator

England
    Oh... It's on my 'play list'... ie: Was planning on watching it soon...

Given these comments, maybe I'll skip it
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    I was curious to see something else by the creators of Blair Witch, just to see if there was something there or if it was maybe just a one hit wonder type of thing. I saw this one it the local Wally World & it sounded interesting, so I added it to my Netfilx list & saw it about a week ago.

My feelings on it...meh. That's about all I can say.

The jist of it is hillbillies vs aliens. Shades of "Fire In The Sky" & "Communion", w/just a hint of NOTLD & "Signs" with characters straight outta "Joe Dirt" would be about the best way I can describe it.

GOOD make-up and creature FX, but the story was just too uneven & implausible w/ a couple of outright "WTF" moments.

Might be worth a rent, that's about all.
    There newest film, The Objective, was rejected by Sundance and played to a mediocre reception at Tribeca. Starting to think they were a one hit wonder, and even the Blair witch wasn't all that.

The thing is producers will throw money at them because Blair Witch made $200,000,000.00. Forget the movie sucked, the plot sucked, and the overl directing and acting sucked... they just had a huge hit and have been riding the wave of that films success for 10 years.

I would like to see them do something decent though. One thing I did dig about Blair Witch was the tension at the end of the movie, now if we can just get them to do something like that for an entire 90 minutes... We may have a good team in the horror genre.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    and even the Blair witch wasn't all that.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I LOVED Altered!! I found it suspensful and SCARY!! Really good effects, and speaking as a southerner, with some redneck family ancestry, the characters were not offensively steriotypical. In fact the acting was quite good. I liked it. Looks like I have to disagree with you on this one Moon.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    blair witch was what it was because of the actors, honestly, aside from a rough plot, what else did the directors bring to it?, they followed them in the woods without there knowledge, no direction, which is a good idea, but in letting the actors get a little stir crazy and do a good job they hd little creative input and were victims of there own idea, if they directed it like a proper flick, given there other stuff ive seen, we wouldn't be talking about a cult hit years later.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    I LOVED Altered!! I found it suspensful and SCARY!! Really good effects, and speaking as a southerner, with some redneck family ancestry, the characters were not offensively steriotypical. In fact the acting was quite good. I liked it. Looks like I have to disagree with you on this one Moon.
    I'm a hillbilly myself, born & raised in eastern Kentucky, almost over into West Virginia. Offensive? No. Stereotypical? A bit. Then again, I grew up with guys not unlike that, so maybe there is some truth in the stereotype after all...

I didn't think it was AWFUL, I was just a bit *meh* on it. It just felt uneven to me, some of the characters actions/ situations seemed contrived to me/didn't make sense to me, & more than once there were scenes that made me say "huh?"

like the "gut pulling tug of war" for example

Neil: Don't avoid just based on my imput. I may not know what the hell I'm talking about...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    the Blair witch wasn't all that.
    I have to disagree,the Blair witch was the last movie that I can remember that actually freak me out.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    blair witch was what it was because of the actors, honestly, aside from a rough plot, what else did the directors bring to it?, they followed them in the woods without there knowledge, no direction, which is a good idea, but in letting the actors get a little stir crazy and do a good job they hd little creative input and were victims of there own idea, if they directed it like a proper flick, given there other stuff ive seen, we wouldn't be talking about a cult hit years later.
    I think you're selling them short. They produced a short script and then during a week or so of filming used it but much of it was improvised on top. They spent I believe over 8 months editing it to get their footage down to a coherant 90 mins...

The problem is, they've made it look easy, by luck or talent! The acting is great, the camera work is great (looking genuine) and the story and events are unsettling...

You only tend to notice what doesn't work well, as it stands out. It's too easy to take good stuff for granted.

Blair Witch as a low budget flick is an astonishing piece of work. Just a shame the ending was a let down (IMHO)...
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    actually i love the ending.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    actually i love the ending.
    Second that...it's what sold the rest of the movie for me. It was a real jaw dropper.