Today I was faced with a judgement call that I never thought I would have to make. When I sent out an email today to get extras for my reshoot on friday, one replied asking me to send out a casting call for his film, and help him get extras. Now I want to help indie filmmakers... I will share how I got my extras, how I closed a location, how I even was able to use police cars in both my films, but spamming extras for another project I just won't do simply because I am not involved in the project and don't want to come off as having something to do with it.

The best way to get extras is too run a craigslist ad (If you have access to it). They are free and reach hundreds of potential extras.

The Best way to get good extra turn out is to do the following:

Promise Food
Screen Credit
and, if you're makng a movie to sell, like I am, promise them IMDB credit. The cost for two of the three is nothing, they only real cost is money for food. Between both films I have worked with over 650+ extras, all recruited through craigslist.

Most indie directors on this level (sub $10K) barely get 20 extras, I have had the privilege of working with 650 or more over the course of two films. The largest single number at one time was 150 on Deadlands: The Rising. Now you wonder how can you manage so many extras, direct, produce and keep the wheels turning on a film? Its a lot of hard work. When you're not shooting you need to keep checking in on your extras, ask if they are having fun, take time to answer questions... etc. If you ignore them, they won't return, get turned off by the biz, and end up bad mouthing your project. You also have to know when to get serious, especially if they hamper your project. You don't want to belittle them everytime, but you have to know when enough is enough, and have the balls to make that call if you need to make it.

However, if an extra ever asks you to help them cast their project by using your email list, I suggest you decline simply because of the hardwork you put into it, but help offer them assistance on how to go about getting those extras. If you want to become a successful filmmaker, helping other is practically a requirement. You can be the ass... but no one likes an ass.