Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If they helped him make the choice to jump, even just a little bit, are they guilty?

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    I think he was agreeing with you, and also pointing out the possibility that taunting someone who is already suicidal like that could push them over the edge into becoming homicidal as well. Just another reason not to act like an inhuman bastard in these situations.
    Correct. An in-law--a retired law enforcement officer and captain--recently committed suicide by jumping from an overpass into traffic. He only succeeded in killing himself, but what if his actions had killed one or more people, too? No doubt the unfortunate driver of the vehicle that hit him is scarred for life regardless.

It's against the law to incite a riot, to yell "fire" in a crowded theater. How is coaxing an emotionally-unstable individual to take their life any different? How is making excuses for the irresponsible behavior of a mob any less irresponsible?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    How is making excuses for the irresponsible behavior of a mob any less irresponsible?
    Well said!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Personally, I think they should be charged and arrested. They should be ashamed of themselves.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Scotland
    In the words of Bender:

"Do a flip!"

United States
    Although I do agree that it is "ghoulish" to shout encouragement for someone to "jump" in a situation like this, it's also to be expected.

I remember an episode of "All in the Family" where Archie walked out on a window ledge to talk down a jumper while the crowd below chanted "Jump! Jump! Jump!" This was was a couple of decades ago, so the fact there there are such "hecklers" is nothing new.

My point is, if you're going to "put yourself out there" in your "time of greatest need", you need to plan for this. Not everyone is going to feel compassion for you and some, obviously, are going to see this as an opportunity to witness the event of a lifetime.

Should the hecklers be arrested? No, not unless they physically interfered with the police effort to get the fool off the roof. You don't suppress freedom of expression because some fool decided to share his desire to commit suicide with the general public.

Should they be be pitied? Probably so. Imagine have such a miserable life that you get enjoyment watching someone else take their own. Sad. Of course, some of them might have not figured that the kid was serious about his intent and, when he did jump, were shocked by the outcome. They will carry the shame of that with them for the rest of their lives.

-stray-

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by strayrider View Post
    Should they be be pitied? Probably so. Imagine have such a miserable life that you get enjoyment watching someone else take their own. Sad. Of course, some of them might have not figured that the kid was serious about his intent and, when he did jump, were shocked by the outcome. They will carry the shame of that with them for the rest of their lives.

-stray-

Let's see. That would mean that people are dense and insensitive. Man, who'd a thunk it?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

capncnut
    Are we still talking about this silly kid?

England
    if i'd been there i would seriously have walked up to one of the chanting idiots & knocked seven shades of sh*t out of them!even saying "thats just the way things are" isnt a good enough excuse for the way they behaved

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    On one hand:

If there was a big ol' guy, about to fight a skinny little kid, and the crowd urged him to "FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT" - would that make the crowd responsible for the ass-whipping that poor kid would get?

Nope...

But on the other hand - sick bastards...they have that on their hands for a long time, I hope they feel it.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    On one hand:

If there was a big ol' guy, about to fight a skinny little kid, and the crowd urged him to "FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT" - would that make the crowd responsible for the ass-whipping that poor kid would get?

If there was a decent person among them someone in that crowd would intervene though!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    On one hand:

Nope...

But on the other hand - sick bastards...they have that on their hands for a long time, I hope they feel it.
    No but scientific studies have proven time and again that a mob mentality contributes to and escalates situations to a level that they would not have reached otherwise.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    No but scientific studies have proven time and again that a mob mentality contributes to and escalates situations to a level that they would not have reached otherwise.

And it's called war isn't it?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    And it's called war isn't it?
    or football....
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.