Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If they helped him make the choice to jump, even just a little bit, are they guilty?

Administrator

England

If they helped him make the choice to jump, even just a little bit, are they guilty?

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    I don't think the crowd should be branded guilty for shouting "jump" to a suicidal kid threatening to throw himself off a roof. The stupid sod was up there making a spectacle of himself so it's only natural you're gonna get a few ghouls wanting to see some splatter action. I agree, it's not particularly nice or caring but hey, that's how it is!

Administrator

England
    But if the effect of people shouting to him ("jump! jump!") depressed him even further, to the extent he lost all hope and finally did jump, are they not in some way guilty of pushing him over the edge?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That's really sad that people would do such a thing. Like Neil said, this could of further pushed the kid over the edge (bad pun).

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    a guy i did consider a good guy till then was one of the leading yobos, he rang me saying "its great, jump jump!", he rang me 15 minutes later saying "he bounced. theres blood everwere...."

assehole.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    a guy i did consider a good guy till then was one of the leading yobos, he rang me saying "its great, jump jump!", he rang me 15 minutes later saying "he bounced. theres blood everwere...."

assehole.
    i hope your going to beat the **** out of him, absolutely no need for that, the kid needed help not a bunch of idiots goading him into jumping.

United Kingdom
    Holy f*ck. Whether they actually made a difference or not will never be known because you can't ask the kid why he jumped now, but either way, they clearly wouldn't have cared if it was their fault, which is shocking. They need someone they actually know to top themselves and see how f*cking "great" it is then, if that's what they need to humanise, erm, actual humans.
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

United States
    I think the crowd is partly to blame,but they'll not guilty of killing him.He's the idiot who choose to jump,so it's completely his fault.

England
    A few score of riot police beating the **** out of them with batons and pepper spray would have ruined the show...I would've ordered exactly that if I was in charge of policing. Worthless scum.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Christmas Island
    That's the way people are, enjoying other people's suffering and as the capn' said, he made a spec of himself. Only natural he would attract an audience. What the kid should've done was get down from there and go home, disappointing the crowd shouting for gore. For them that's as bad as not getting off. Zing! If he still felt the need to off himself, he could do so in private.

United States
    No.

Just because someone tells you to do something, doesn't mean that you have to do it. The kid was going to jump anyway; this just sped it up.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Norway
    Its assisted suicide.

England
    I just cant understand what sick b*stards would get a kick out of watching someone die like that, to think people like that are roaming around free in our society worries me

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub666 View Post
    I think the crowd is partly to blame,but they'll not guilty of killing him.He's the idiot who choose to jump,so it's completely his fault.
    Not as black and white as that as far as I'm concerned... He was clearly depressed and I suspect seeing a hurd of your fellow human beings caring so little about you - infact the opposite - that they'll jovely ask you to kill yourself, must only make the exit from this life look all the more appealing...

When someone is their most desperate moment of need, someone behaving that way just beggars belief to be honest! And in my mind shows something wrong in their makeup!
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    A few score of riot police beating the **** out of them with batons and pepper spray would have ruined the show...I would've ordered exactly that if I was in charge of policing. Worthless scum.
    Actually, I was going to say that the police should've handled it better and maybe threaten/remove the people calling for the lad to jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcades057 View Post
    Just because someone tells you to do something, doesn't mean that you have to do it. The kid was going to jump anyway; this just sped it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusIncredulous View Post
    What the kid should've done was get down from there and go home, disappointing the crowd shouting for gore.
    I lumped these two quotes together because it is a prime example of why the crowd are not guilty and why the lad was.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I just cant understand what sick b*stards would get a kick out of watching someone die like that
    The same type of person that would quite happily make fun of Amy Winehouse's depression and drug addiction, hopefully tipping her over the edge to get some kind of car crash sensationalism. Which brings me to...

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Not as black and white as that as far as I'm concerned... He was clearly depressed and I suspect seeing a hurd of your fellow human beings caring so little about you - infact the opposite - that they'll jovely ask you to kill yourself, must only make the exit from this life look all the more appealing...
    I'm afraid that's the way it is. He was up there making a fool of himself and wanting attention, primarily because he's a. immature or b. mentally unstable. Now me personally, I wouldn't have wanted him to jump but I'm sure as hell not gonna feel sorry for him if he does. HE was the one dumping his problems on other people's laps, HE was the one disrupting other people's lives - at the end of the day, there are gonna be a few folks in the crowd pissed off by that. It's cruel and morbid but I don't see why the crowd should be held accountable for this.