Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression: How to cope (Serious question)

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK

Depression: How to cope (Serious question)

I need some advice... This is a serious question

I've been trying to cope with depression for a few months now and I'm finding it really hard to cope.. I've got no low self-esteem and barely any confidence...

If any of you feel like this sometimes, how do you cope with it?

Canada
    Go see a Doctor. I'm not being flip or anything... go see a Doctor.

Super Moderator

UK
    Hmmm ... you must have it kinda bad to be posting perhaps, so I duno if I've had it as bad as you are having it now. Anytime I've been depressed I've just stuck it out or found stuff to do to keep my mind off, hung around with friends as much as possible as well as talk to them as much as possible. First year Uni I was miserable as much as I was having fun, it was always up and down that year, but I found talking to my uni mates (albeit through MSN, that's the British way of tackling feelings damnit!), but seriously, that did help because they were feeling like I was or had done in the recent past.

I've found that my friends have been the biggest help in cheering me up, but personally I've just stuck it out and found as much stuff to do to take my mind off of it - or do something that makes you feel better. I took to buying DVDs personally.

As I said before, I'm sure I didn't have it as bad as you're having it now, so I'm not sure if I've been of any help.

I think everyone gets bummed out from time to time, I know I do - you feel like life isn't moving and you think 'will I ever make it?' (in your career of choice I mean), but again that's on the tamer side of things.

Hope I've been of some help...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    actually a lot of people in my family suffer from it, but im way to laid back....man.
    heres some sage like advice, dont get stuck in the 9 to 5 rut ,wake,work,eat,tv,sleep, repeat till dead, if you want something in life no matter how small the chance may be ,then aim for it ,if you put your mind to it you can be rich and famous, or be a succesful artist, anything you want as long as you dont get bummed down, which is simple think, no matter how bad you got it theres allways those worse off than you, you could have debts and relationship problems ,but just stop what ever your doing and take a breath ,close your eyes and try to get a zen kinda focus, trust me it sounds stupid but thats how i pulled my latest gcse maths retake from a d up to a b+, swear to god.
    and DONT get into a self pity rut when your knocked back by people and opportunitys you gotta be the biggest asshole in that sense, dont let things stop you from attaining your dreams, do you know how many people i know who wanted to work in television or be a reporter just to think "oh but it might be hard" and end up working at subway?, friggin lots thats how many,
    my final piece of advice is this, chill out ,relax, if it can allways get worse then it can allways get better, i suggest trying your hand at writing its calming and gets the creative juices flowing in your life again.

and remember depression is a medical condition, one your mind and body CAN beat, allways remember that.

Undisclosed
    I've had really bad depression, as have a lot of my family. It's hard to give advice about it, because what works for someone might not work for someone else. My general advice would be to definitely be talking to people about it. But remember that there's a fine line between working it out, and bringing everyone down. Find some close friends or family to talk to, because it's true, most people don't want to deal with it. It freaks them out, and they won't take it seriously. That's why, I believe, most people end up going to therapists. Not that there's anything wrong with that--but when you get into a doctors office, you have to be careful. You don't have to do every little thing they say. And, if I were you, use medications only as a last resort. Sometimes they work, and sometimes they're more trouble than they're worth. So, yeah...last resort.

So...yeah...talk to people, and use them as a sounding board. And let them know that that's exactly what you're doing. Tell them "I'm depressed and I'm trying to figure out exactly what it is, and why, so I can work from there. I just need some outside persceptive." Chances are, they'll be up for that much. And believe me, it's REALLY helpful. Furthermore, like I just said...try to figure out the cause, because not knowing and feeling like it's all over nothing is the worst. And just because you can't pinpoint it, doesn't mean there's no reason. It will very likely not be the obvious, and may very well be something you might otherwise consider small or no big deal.

As for the bouts with the lows--I'm afraid the best advice I have is to wait it out. That's all I've been able to do. After so many years, you become familiar with it, and you come to expect certain things. For me, it could last hours, days, weeks, or even months, and I never know what's it's going to be. The one thing I do know is that at SOME point, it breaks and the skies clear again. And that's what carries me through...all I have to do is out-wait it--and I always do.

I hope some of this helps. And I wish you lots of luck. We are amazing creatures and we're incredibly resilient--I do believe that if we try and we're allow ourselves to use the right tools (it's hard with mental illness, because it's so stigmatized), we can work out alot inside our heads ourselves, with a minimum of outside interference.

Lots of luck!
    http://zombie-a-gogo.blogspot.com/

Zombie-A-GoGo
    News, Reviews, Interviews, and More!

"Please don't beat Teddy."--Teddy, Night of the Seagulls

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    thats some damn smart stuff there.

England
    I had a big problem with it last year,unfortunately & ashamedly mainly brought on by taking class A drugs at large dance events (ecstasy & amphetamines),but prior to that i'd had bouts of it through my life as well.I was at such a low point and felt like i'd lost control of my mind as i had OCD thoughts as well as the depression,and i thought because of what i'd been taking i wasnt going to get better from it.Anyway i saw a psychologist and had regular fortnightly meetings with her up until the beginning of this year which helped a lot,as i could let all my crazy thoughts out to someone who understood what its like,& i was also put on citalopram which is an SSRI anti-depressent last june,which im just coming off now!im 110% better now and feel great!my confidence is back up & i dont feel like a stranger in my own mind anymore.Remember depression isnt a sign of weakness or anything,its just a chemical imbalance of serotonin,which can be caused by stress,drugs,drink etc.Have you tried 5HTP supplements?they are supposed to help a lot!im going to get a supply in,just in case i feel myself dropping again in the future.Good luck with whatever treatment you go for,you will get better,just dont try to do it on your own til you've got the right methods of dealing with it in place (cognitive behaviour therapy)

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    actually it appears youve got advice from either sid eof the spectrum, one with willpower one with medication.

you just got to go with what goes right for you man.

i gotta say this is a little unnerving as some of you are only about 3 years my senior.

United States
    the forums care for you and wish you well, hope you get better

Undisclosed
    I suffer from depression too. I'm in recovery for drugs and alcohol(been clean since august 16th 2004) and over a year ago I talked to my dr and he prescribed me prozac and it has worked wonders for me. Now granted alot of my depression has had to do with chemical abuse. Anti depressants and their results vary from person to person though. Talk to your health care provider and see what he or she can do. Also, something that we in recovery do alot, write about it and talk about whatever seems to be bothering you. Once you get it out there you can start to deal with it. Try keeping a journal of your feelings and whatever it is that may be troubling you. Something else that I highly recommend to help you keep balance is to make a list of things that you are grateful for or the positive aspects of your life. Email me or drop me a private message if ya feel the need to.
    we've got spite and dedication as a vehement brew
    the world hates us, well we hate them too
    but you're exempted of course if you
    come and join us
    independent, self-contented, revolutionary
    intellectual, brave, strong and scholarly
    if you're not one of them, you're us already so
    come and join us

Come Join Us - Bad Religion

Canada
    Well...I suffer from depression as well..hell, even right now I am currently going through it (had it for years, but it recently started to over-power me) and I've gotta say, tehre is no sure way to cure it. Beleive me. It is a medical conditions, and right now i'm on some medications to help with it (I was on effexor XR but it wasn't working, now i'm on paradoxine or something and trazadone for anxiety)
    The best advice I can give is to lean on your friends for support, and see them...talk to them. They care about you alot, and I know for a fact that depression can make you do some stupid things..some really stupid things..I tryed to commit suicide man because of it...
    Actually, the best advice I can give is to seek help..seriusly, if you leave it untreated, you may end up wanting to commit suicide..believe me, go for help now!

for the self esteem..heres a good thing to do.

Write down one good thing someone has said about you, and keep a list of it. Add stuff that others have said, and that you like about yourself. Add one or two things to this each and every day you can.

It helps alot, because you start to realize just how many good things are inside you, and how many people care about you. Good luck!! If you need to talk don't be afraid to PM me allright...I know what your going through

Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Cykotic
    I need some advice... This is a serious question

I've been trying to cope with depression for a few months now and I'm finding it really hard to cope.. I've got no low self-esteem and barely any confidence...

If any of you feel like this sometimes, how do you cope with it?
    I been experiencing this a lot myself. What I do is pray. I try to think about the positive and try not to dwell on the negative. Also try thinking about all the friends in your life that care about you. I know you had a very difficult two weeks but it will get better. You are a very good person, better then most people here I think. If I can help cheer you up in any way let me know. Take care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    Just a Little Update...

I woke up this morning (I wish I didn't) and I still feel crap... It really does feel like my life is on a downward spiral.

I wish I hadn't posted the original post on here... I feel bad about doing it and worrying you guys... I consider you all friends, But I really needed some advice...

Thanks... I'll try to stick around for as long as I can...

Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Cykotic
    Just a Little Update...

I woke up this morning (I wish I didn't) and I still feel crap... It really does feel like my life is on a downward spiral.

I wish I hadn't posted the original post on here... I feel bad about doing it and worrying you guys... I consider you all friends, But I really needed some advice...

Thanks... I'll try to stick around for as long as I can...
    It is ok. Do not be embarrassed. I think everyone likes you here, and I am sure one of the mods can delete the thread if you want them too.

United States
    Here's what worked for me:
    For a long time I kept company with people that were as miserable as I was (which kept me down) - The meds turned me into a zombie so I stopped taking those.
    I stopped hanging around people that were constantly looking for a pity party and whining about "how bad their life is" or "how lonely they are" - all that did was keep me at the "depression level".
    I made a list of things that got me down and one by one stopped doing it, drinking it, complaining about it, watching it, etc. As I stopped one thing, I'd find a "positive replacement" - artwork, photography, different friends (there were a couple I had to force to leave me alone and one that still wont; she even continues to play the false rumor game to make her pathetic, lonely life seem a little better than it is, but hey...)
    When you really think about it, Life isn't all that bad - if you choose your path wisely and don't get caught up in the negative.

peace and I wish you well,

Tom
    Last edited by Adrenochrome; 07-May-2006 at 02:38 PM.