Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Pics - final big zombie shoot (Contains Spoilers)

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Blind,

Right now I am doing some editing tweaks to fix pacing issues, but if we don't get a distributor by spring I am going to upload to IMDB for people to watch for free for one week. I will post when it hits the upload on IMDB.

I will probably do a self release as well so people can buy the DVD. This is also going to be available on Blu-Ray as part of the self release. Although shot in Standard Definition, I won't have to compress the hell out of it to fit on a Blu-Ray like I would to fit a DVD-R
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Undisclosed
    how can us brits get to see this film then

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Working that out with a few distributors right now.

I will keep you all posted.

Gary
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    More Pics From April 2008 Shoot

SNEAKY ZOMBIES

Ready, Set, GOOOOOOOOOOOO

Elias Dancey (2nd Unit) Camera Operator

Run Mutherfucker Run
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Undisclosed
    Dj,
    good luck with your digital film

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Run Mutherfucker Run
    That really looks clean and nice, DJ. And of course, the action itself looks intense...hopefully it will be ball up your fists and fidget in your seat with eyes glued to the screen intense.

Very, very cool, man!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenia Films View Post
    Dj,
    good luck with your digital film

Thanks, although the swipe wasn't needed at the digital aspect. At least mine will be clear enough to view instead of speckled with scratches and dirt like 8mm is prone too when handled improperly.

No offense, but making subtle swipes like this is not exactly going to get you a lot of friends around here Phenia. So maybe you should get off you high horse, and come back to reality.

You may shoot on film, but 8mm is still a shit format and shit stock. I would take Mini DV done with a DVX100B or a Canon Z50 over anything 8mm.

So while you continue to piss away thousands on lab costs I will take that money and get hundreds of zombies to make a proper zombie film fans can be proud of as opposed to wasting money on stock and lab work, leaving nothing to get the proper amount of Extra needed.

You of all people should know, Cinematography and look is only a small part of the process. Story, characters, and a shit load of zombies is what a zombie film is all about. You keep thinking small scale, while I continue to crank out large scale, pennies on the dollar.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    That really looks clean and nice, DJ. And of course, the action itself looks intense...hopefully it will be ball up your fists and fidget in your seat with eyes glued to the screen intense.

Very, very cool, man!
    Thanks, but that is not a shot from the film, just a digital still. taken with a Canon 40D (Nice crisp image though, I would mind one of those for my personal Digital still cam system)

The actual shot in the movie is deliberately washed out of color, and overblown with high gamma , and max contrast to create a surreal atmosphere.

I think once you see the flick you will see what I mean. However, if MZ chimes in he can explain it as well.

However, the negative footage, before my color set-up looks very close to that pic, but with more of a black crush.

If you can find the 1:00 teaser on you tube, you can get an idea of what that sequence looks like as it is the second to last shot in the teaser.

Cheers for chiming in though Aces,
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 13-Apr-2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    As for the "digital film" comment - perhaps it was to make a distinction between film-film and digital-film ... ... like how it's common to say, when working in digital (I do it too) things like "we filmed this today" or "we got that on film" ... well, technically that's not the case, it should be "we taped this today" and "we got that on tape" - but you're making a movie/film, so it's just easier to say it ... after all, it's the broader context of "filmmaking", which covers all formats.

Anyway, perhaps not a dig, but a distinction considering Phenia shoots his stuff on film-film? Figured I'd drop my tuppence-a'penny, the comment can be seen/taken in two ways, so I thought I'd fill the other side.

However, if MZ chimes in he can explain it as well.
    I'd have to go back to the original screener DVD I got for reviewing purposes to remind myself again specifically, but I can certainly say that the chasing sequences are handled well (and I hate runners, so there you go ) - and I really dug the camerawork in the movie - I have often referred to it as "24-like", but perhaps others would find different comparisons.

Basically, there's a big old step up from DL1, and the bit on the marquee outside the cinema (glimpsed at in still shots posted here) was awesome - you know how you'd get that "oh shit, oh shit, oh shit" feeling when you were a kid in school getting chased by somebody - yeah - kinda like that, but in a movie.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 13-Apr-2009 at 06:21 PM.

Undisclosed
    Thanks, although the swipe wasn't needed at the digital aspect. At least mine will be clear enough to view instead of speckled with scratches and dirt like 8mm is prone too when handled improperly.

No offense, but making subtle swipes like this is not exactly going to get you a lot of friends around here Phenia. So maybe you should get off you high horse, and come back to reality.

You may shoot on film, but 8mm is still a shit format and shit stock. I would take Mini DV done with a DVX100B or a Canon Z50 over anything 8mm.

So while you continue to piss away thousands on lab costs I will take that money and get hundreds of zombies to make a proper zombie film fans can be proud of as opposed to wasting money on stock and lab work, leaving nothing to get the proper amount of Extra needed.

You of all people should know, Cinematography and look is only a small part of the process. Story, characters, and a shit load of zombies is what a zombie film is all about. You keep thinking small scale, while I continue to crank out large scale, pennies on the dollar.

Gary

Thanks, but that is not a shot from the film, just a digital still. taken with a Canon 40D (Nice crisp image though, I would mind one of those for my personal Digital still cam system)

The actual shot in the movie is deliberately washed out of color, and overblown with high gamma , and max contrast to create a surreal atmosphere.

I think once you see the flick you will see what I mean. However, if MZ chimes in he can explain it as well.

However, the negative footage, before my color set-up looks very close to that pic, but with more of a black crush.

If you can find the 1:00 teaser on you tube, you can get an idea of what that sequence looks like as it is the second to last shot in the teaser.

Cheers for chiming in though Aces,

excuse me??
    just wanted to wish you luck on your film..bust my balls about my film??(which i havent even metioned on this thread).
    WTF?? Whats with the anger/defensive in your post? youve taken my post in a total different direction than i intended....why?
    your too sensative DJ

minionzombie,
    you hit it right on the head my good man..

some people are so defensive (politically correct) its insane..
    im a 40+ year old and think different than these 20+ year olds i guess.
    i could care less what this guy thinks of making films..as apposed to digital.
    its a totally different field/process and ways of thinking.

well at least i know to avoid 'Deadlands'...same old thing
    running zombies nonless

sorry to affend Dfunk, different strokes for folks

i just did my film for fun...who cares..me and the freinds/family who made it with me..i owe it to them to spread the word
    Last edited by Phenia Films; 13-Apr-2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    excuse me??
    just wanted to wish you luck on your film..bust my balls about my film??(which i havent even metioned on this thread).
    WTF?? Whats with the anger/defensive in your post? youve taken my post in a total different direction than i intended....why?
    your too sensative DJ

minionzombie,
    you hit it right on the head my good man..

some people are so defensive (politically correct) its insane..
    im a 40+ year old and think different than these 20+ year olds i guess.
    i could care less what this guy thinks of making films..as apposed to digital.
    its a totally different field/process and ways of thinking.

well at least i know to avoid 'Deadlands'...same old thing
    running zombies nonless

sorry to affend Dfunk, different strokes for folks

i just did my film for fun...who cares..me and the freinds/family who made it with me..i owe it to them to spread the word
    The way it comes off to me is a swipe, and I will explain why, everyone who shoots on film thinks that those of us who shoot digital some how got off easier by not having to load mags, do color timing, or lab processing.

Yet, the process of filmming is still the same, I still have to frame shots, instruct my camera ops, and actors, design lighting, shot lists and every other aspect, just as those who shoot on real film. I actually have a harder time because I need to do more lighting, in some cases whereas with film you get more room to play, not too mention to even get close to the look of film I have to do copius amounts of color correction and/or have someone on the Cinematography crew that really knows the ins and outs of the camera.

I am sick of people who shoot on film calling our films "Digital Films", it is a film, whether the format it is shot on is celluoid or not, it is still a film/movie. I put the same amount of time and effort into it as you do when ont he set, nothing you do is any different than what i do, except ofr lab processing, everything else in the process is the same.

I bet you money no one would say to Rodriguez, oh, goodluck with your digital film, he shoots HD digital, he himself says it comes down to one thing making a film, digital or not.

We are all filmmakers, some of us just choose a different format than others, but in my case, I would rather save the money and shoot something on stock like Mini DV that will look good for years to come as opposed to worrying about the stock degrading thourgh the years to the point it could almost be lost forever.

That is my gripe.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Undisclosed
    First off...my film cost me $5000 at the most (including a trip to Evans City to shoot) at aprox 45min film

i love to 'make films'..waiting for the processed film to come back (antisipation) not knowing how the last shoot came out (no videoreplay to cover your ass)getting the films back (didnt loose anything but maybe 50ftby the way..know what im doing..planning ahead) have them beautifully transfered to MinIDV (CAME OUT PERFECT) also love the process in dubbing audio to the MiniDV tapes (silent film) having it perfectly in sinc and sounding crisp.is a whole entire process which is just as much fun as shooting the filmed sequences.

love going to a film shoot..check my light meters setting up the audio, also alot of ADR and foley that needs to be done in post (a more of a creative process i feel)
    and was very pleased with what i have..nothing lost, nobody got hurt..everyone had a good time.
    Looking through a film camera lens at the same locations as Romero did 40 years later was a thrill..met alot of people (including my actors) who loved the B&W look of the Super 8 which encouraged them to go buy there own cameras..people asking me questions about making a film as apposed to making a digital short..and how gutsy it is to do so..very encouraging

so what do you think it comes out like shit,and have to cost me alot of money (sounds like you had problems with film in the past is the only way to explain your greif..you sound fustrated with film..why)
    i never had any of those problems making my film for fun really not profit intended at all (maybe a job some day??)and for fans of Romeros Ghouls not zombies

before you express your greivences with film...know what your talking about.
    i never had any problems with film..and i will continue to do so..and the last thing iam is a millionare...so the cost was nothing and you cant beat the look
    of film...you can try all you want to to get that look through digital, aint gonna happen.

sorry to dissapoint you Funk, but you sound like the only person i know who had problems with film who has experience..or you dont like the look/cost ..you did something wrong in the past with film..if you did it right we wouldnt be having this conversation....

again, dont take this the wrong way i meant what i said the first time...GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR MOVIE..still have a problem with me saying so? sorry i dont like digital, im an old school guy..you think 'Deadlands' will make me change?
    sorry no interest in fast movng zombies..i mean vampires..i mean crazy people..i mean what ever the fuck they are
    (although in Dawn of the Dead 2004 it worked) one in a million

lets drop it
    ill stay away from this thread...i dont belong i guess

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    First off...my film cost me $5000 at the most (including a trip to Evans City to shoot) at aprox 45min film

i love to 'make films'..waiting for the processed film to come back (antisipation) not knowing how the last shoot came out (no videoreplay to cover your ass)getting the films back (didnt loose anything but maybe 50ftby the way..know what im doing..planning ahead) have them beautifully transfered to MinIDV (CAME OUT PERFECT) also love the process in dubbing audio to the MiniDV tapes (silent film) having it perfectly in sinc and sounding crisp.is a whole entire process which is just as much fun as shooting the filmed sequences.

love going to a film shoot..check my light meters setting up the audio, also alot of ADR and foley that needs to be done in post (a more of a creative process i feel)
    and was very pleased with what i have..nothing lost, nobody got hurt..everyone had a good time.
    Looking through a film camera lens at the same locations as Romero did 40 years later was a thrill..met alot of people (including my actors) who loved the B&W look of the Super 8 which encouraged them to go buy there own cameras..people asking me questions about making a film as apposed to making a digital short..and how gutsy it is to do so..very encouraging

so what do you think it comes out like shit,and have to cost me alot of money (sounds like you had problems with film in the past is the only way to explain your greif..you sound fustrated with film..why)
    i never had any of those problems making my film for fun really not profit intended at all (maybe a job some day??)and for fans of Romeros Ghouls not zombies

before you express your greivences with film...know what your talking about.
    i never had any problems with film..and i will continue to do so..and the last thing iam is a millionare...so the cost was nothing and you cant beat the look
    of film...you can try all you want to to get that look through digital, aint gonna happen.

sorry to dissapoint you Funk, but you sound like the only person i know who had problems with film who has experience..or you dont like the look/cost ..you did something wrong in the past with film..if you did it right we wouldnt be having this conversation....

again, dont take this the wrong way i meant what i said the first time...GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR MOVIE..still have a problem with me saying so? sorry i dont like digital, im an old school guy..you think 'Deadlands' will make me change?
    sorry no interest in fast movng zombies..i mean vampires..i mean crazy people..i mean what ever the fuck they are
    (although in Dawn of the Dead 2004 it worked) one in a million

lets drop it
    ill stay away from this thread...i dont belong i guess
    My 1st gripe with film is you had to spend $5000 for 45 minutes, and with my process I only had to spend $800 more, and I also get cops, military, 500+ zombies, and not to mention double the running time.

Plus I also had to do everything you do except for the lab end of things. We shot using 4-6 cameras, and one used just for the main sound, so I too had to do a lot of editng and syncing, and again, the attitude that shooting on film is better than shooting digital is what my gripe is, it is the attitude that some how your product is less inferior than mine.

When those that shoot on film begin to realize everything we do is the exact same, except for lab work, maybe I won't get as pissy when people refer to my work or anyone elses work as "digital film". Who cares if it is digital, again it is still a film.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Undisclosed
    My 1st gripe with film is you had to spend $5000 for 45 minutes, and with my process I only had to spend $800 more, and I also get cops, military, 500+ zombies, and not to mention double the running time.

Plus I also had to do everything you do except for the lab end of things. We shot using 4-6 cameras, and one used just for the main sound, so I too had to do a lot of editng and syncing, and again, the attitude that shooting on film is better than shooting digital is what my gripe is, it is the attitude that some how your product is less inferior than mine.

When those that shoot on film begin to realize everything we do is the exact same, except for lab work, maybe I won't get as pissy when people refer to my work or anyone elses work as "digital film". Who cares if it is digital, again it is still a film.

there you go Funk..what was so hard about that..you should have said that the first time instead of saying i 'swiped you' whatever the fuck that means.

a film is a film like you said...dont get so 'pissy' about film/digital.(whats he differnce right?)
    life is too short..feel better now? nobodys bashing you, take it easy dont be so fustrated

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    there you go Funk..what was so hard about that..you should have said that the first time instead of saying i 'swiped you' whatever the fuck that means.

a film is a film like you said...dont get so 'pissy' about film/digital.(whats he differnce right?)
    life is too short..feel better now? nobodys bashing you, take it easy dont be so fustrated
    Just so you know it is nothing personal against you, it is the people who shoot on film and make comments like "Your Digital Film" That i have a problem with, unfortunately you ended up being stereotyped because of other assholes, who use the term in a demeaning way.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!