Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me good (simple) film editing software...

Administrator

England

Recommend me good (simple) film editing software...

Seems ULEAD Media Studio Pro 8 is not Vista (64) compatible. So need some new video editing software...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I prefer and use Vegas.
    CLICK >>>>>>>>>>>>> for CINEOBSCURE and CINEOBSCURE FORUMS!

Super Moderator

UK
    But Vegas isn't really simple to be honest, or at least far more complex than what Neil is probably needing.

I'd say Pinnacle Studio, the newest version - 12 - is now out and is apparently good. There's plenty to do, so it's way more than the likes of Ulead or obviously Windows Movie Maker.

I've found Studio to be a good middle-ground editing suite and still use it today (although in conjunction with Vegas for certain things like cropping and colouring), and it's got a simple, straight forward interface so it's far from the likes of Avid which is preposterously complex (no wonder it requires training courses, or the patience of a saint).

I've briefly used Adobe Premiere, but didn't like it at all, found it complicated and fiddly and just not user-friendly, or me-friendly at least.

So aye, I think for you Neil - Pinnacle Studio 12.

Although I haven't personally used PS12, but I've heard from someone who recently upgraded to v12 that it's stable, has plenty of options (a lot more than previous versions, which weren't exactly thread-bare anyway) and would be ideal for you.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I say Adobe Premiere 3.0. It's not hard to learn, and once you do you'll never go back. Then there's always AVID, but I don't think you're ready to commit suicide quite yet...

United States
    Windows Movie Maker?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pidemiC View Post
    Windows Movie Maker?
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too simple, and not that good either I don't think. I always thought WMM was just a really very, very, very silly piece of software personally.

Personally I think Premiere is too dang fiddly. I stand by Studio, Neil. Give it a Googlin' ... in fact, give them all a Googlin', and see what you'd fancy more - if cost is an issue, I believe Studio is also reasonably priced ... otherwise, *ahem*, let me know.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Pinnacle is nothing more than a watered down Premiere, if you ask me. If you can handle one, you can handle the other. Pinnacle just has less options. But hey, that's just my opinion, and truth be told I never used version 12. I think I used 9 or something below that. Maybe things have changed.

EDIT: Besides, doesn't Pinnacle studio support only a limited number of audio tracks?
    Last edited by EvilNed; 27-Oct-2008 at 11:05 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, but like Neil said - he's looking for a good & simple piece of software, and while I don't consider Studio to be "simple", rather "straight-forward", I think Neil would do fine with three audio tracks for whatever he wants to do.

So, what say you Neil?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Bah. Better take the half-hour it takes to learn Premiere and you're all set for EXCELLENT editing, rather than mediocre.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah, but like Neil said - he's looking for a good & simple piece of software, and while I don't consider Studio to be "simple", rather "straight-forward", I think Neil would do fine with three audio tracks for whatever he wants to do.

So, what say you Neil?
    As long as Premiere allows good control of a number of video/audio tracks, with effects and tricks such as cropping and the like, and is intuitive to use, that should do?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I don't know what you're going to edit. But Pinnacle is a watered down editing program for amateurs (No serious editing program would limit video or audio tracks!).

I also don't trust programs that could theoretically have some features, but they were cut out so that they could be put in the more expensive version instead. I'll admit that Pinnacle is easier to use. But anyone who's edited before (and it seems like you have) will have no problem learning Premiere. And Premiere is up there with the best of them, despite not being the market standard like AVID or Final Cut.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I don't know what you're going to edit. But Pinnacle is a watered down editing program for amateurs (No serious editing program would limit video or audio tracks!).

I also don't trust programs that could theoretically have some features, but they were cut out so that they could be put in the more expensive version instead. I'll admit that Pinnacle is easier to use. But anyone who's edited before (and it seems like you have) will have no problem learning Premiere. And Premiere is up there with the best of them, despite not being the market standard like AVID or Final Cut.
    So are we talking Adobe Premiere Elements 7? Or Adobe Premiere Pro CS3?
    -Carl Sagan

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    VEGAS...

It has less bugs, is easy as hell to learn, and has tons of options. I learned Vegas in 15 minutes, without tutorials or books. Can Adobe and Avid make that claim? F**k No!

And VEGAS is used by CBS broadcasting for a multitude of its programs.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    So are we talking Adobe Premiere Elements 7? Or Adobe Premiere Pro CS3?
    Elements is a watered down version of Premiere. Never used it myself, but it's probably not much different from Pinnacle. CS 3.0, definetly.

And DJ, yes, Premiere can make that claim. I learned Premiere in about the same amount of time. AVID, however, can't.

Whats good about Premiere is if you just want to do basic stuff, it's easy to do so. But if you want to do more advanced stuff? Nothing stopping you. And it's all easy. Especially once you learn the keyboard shortcuts.

Also, most broadcasting networks use what's CHEAP, not what's good. So, there you go.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 27-Oct-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Fifteen minutes? What the fudge?

Either I'm slow to pick up software, or down right stubborn (I am Scottish, so...), but fifteen minutes to pick up the whole thing? I'm calling shenanegans on Deej and Ned! SHENANEGANS!

*Officer Barbrady comes running*

Well in that case Neil - I'll say go Vegas, then you can also get Magic Bullet and have an absolute jizz-fest!