Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Helena, Hussy of Horror, Deadlands 2: Trapped Introduction

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, ummm.

About 2 weeks ago the contest for Ms. Horrorfest III, which is sponsored by After Dark Films, was being held via You Tube. Basically girls had to submit a 90 second video of themselves pitching why they would be the best Ms. Horrorfest.

Lonnie Martin, good friend and filmmaker, and his wife Cindy asked me about shooting a video for their entry. I agreed because they are good friends, and I am always looking to hone my cinematography and editing skills. Lonnie drafted a two page one girl screenplay about this girl, Helena, Hussy of Horror, played by his wife Cindy, and why she should be Ms. Horrorfest. basically it was supposed to be a throwback to the Elvira style Horror hosts, but the twist was she is dressed and acts like Betty Page.

See Video Here:

So one friday night I went to his house and shot it, then edited it the same night. As i was doing the sound design and listening to her pitch the After Dark films piece towards the end, I was like... Hmmm, I thought this could be a cool horror mistress type chick who could do reviews, interviews, and maybe even introduce movies. So I pitched it to Lonnie and Cindy and they thought about it. About 3-4 days later I asked if he would write and intro script of her Introducing Deadlands 2: Trapped, sort of a ways to test the waters to see if they want to go further with it, so the very next friday I went out to their house and we shot the intro video.

No one knew how it would work out and I only edited it 3 hours before I had to set the movie to render for the premiere, but when I finished it I was so impressed I called Lonnie told him it was done, but that he couldn't see it until the premiere that night. Once he and Cindy watched the intro, they started looking into doing more of these, and I think we will be filming two more intor's.

1. For Lonnie's Film Women's Studies
    2. For another Film titled Grave Mistakes

The cool thing about this is while it was just supposed to be a one time idea, it is now becoming a re-occuring character, so I know Lonnie went and Trademarked it. I look forward to shooting furute videos. They're fun, and it gives me more Lighting Practice. The quality between the first one and this one are noticeable. The newest being much better in terms of pacing and lighting, the first has slightly better editing in my opinion.

So I offered to them that if they don't mind I would like to be a part of it fom behind the camera, doing the lighting editing, sound etc. The plan is to hopefully do a whole series. Lonnie even launched a website.

http://hussyofhorror.com/

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Sure, sure, boy... Blame it on the tube, when we all really know what's at fault here!
    The Camera operator
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 28-Oct-2008 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Thanks for the info. I actually think she pulls off the part very well, so I was interested. It's nice that you've got that whole film community going. That's whats great about digital.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Cindy (Helena) rocks the part. She just plays it very well, and I think if Lonnie and Cindy run with it they will have a great horror type mistress of the dark character to work with for many years.

I look forward to seeing Helena's resume expand.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    Cindy definitely does a kick-bottom job, the character is strong and I did notice a general improvement all round from the first to the second (in all aspects), so doing more will refine everybody's roles and involvement, and the style and such.

Hooray for the Hussy of Horror.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Just informed Lonnie that Helena has a small following here on HPotD, and I think they are gearing up for the next video soon. Lonnie and Cindy are going to the Queens international film Fest with me next weekend (November 8th) so I will talk more about it with them in NYC.

Dj
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Undisclosed
    That's freakin' sweet, dude. All involved did a bang-up job.

United States
    Cindy's got a knack for what she does, and pulls it off nicely. It's cool how you were able to get involved in the videos and get some practice in at the same time, DJ. Nice work!

Administrator

England
    That was great!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    It was funny when I met DJ at the Queens International Film Festival he introduced me to Cindy & Lonnie. When I saw Cindy in my mind I was thinking "Man, this girl looks really familiar to me. Where do I know her from?" After seeing her intro to Deadlands 2: Trapped I knew, it was from this thread .

I hope Cindy, Lonnie & DJ parlay Helena into something very successful because she's a great, fun character & the video was very cool .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    We are actually going to be doing a new Helena Video very soon. Lonnie told me he has something cooking in his brain involving her and movie reviews, starting with Friday the 13th.

I will know more soon, and keep you guys posted.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You must have awesome friends if they let you film their wives in lingerie. No way in hell I would let my friends see my woman like that.

Good luck to yas, though.

Canada
    I would totally let her pick up my bone

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    You must have awesome friends if they let you film their wives in lingerie. No way in hell I would let my friends see my woman like that.

Good luck to yas, though.
    Lonnie shot that. Believe me he was dealing with the issue about it. I said it is your decision, you guys do what you want. I didn't direct it, just cinematographer and editor.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    We are actually going to be doing a new Helena Video very soon. Lonnie told me he has something cooking in his brain involving her and movie reviews, starting with Friday the 13th.

I will know more soon, and keep you guys posted.
    God, anything would be better than Script Girl over at Aint It Cool news! So yes! Get her doing movie news/reviews please!!!!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    God, anything would be better than Script Girl over at Aint It Cool news! So yes! Get her doing movie news/reviews please!!!!
    Indeed, that would be spankin'

Who'd be writing the reviews, and in what style?

You could even do film & horror genre related pieces, like a rant about remakes, or an argument back-and-forth about shamblers VS runners and so on...

Just an idea from out me noggin' ...
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 24-Feb-2009 at 09:15 PM.