Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK - Jonathan Ross & Russell Brand

Administrator

England

UK - Jonathan Ross & Russell Brand

What an absolute embarrassment to this country - So they make a somewhat juvenile phone call. It wasn't really offensive, but now we have people resigning and being suspended over it. And it's even being talked about in the House of Commons!

Why? Because too many people in this country are whining sheep all too eager to pander to the nonsense whipped up by a newspaper!

Utter utter nonsense! Makes this country look like a joke! I'm ashamed!

If enough people complain about the Daily Mail, can it be sacked?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Yeah, I was sort of in agreement with the complaints at first - let comedians do what they want as long as they don't physically drag unwilling participants in to it - but now I think it's blown out of all sense of proportion and scale, and I'm sick of hearing about it. Sure, I would have lost my job if I'd done that from my workplace, but on the other hand they wouldn't be asking questions in government about it.

In my opinion, the papers have realised that we're all sick of reading about the looming recession and are desperate to come up with something to distract us from it. And "sleb" gossip usually does the trick for the shambling masses.

Administrator

England
    How on earth have people lost their jobs over this? It terrorfies me so many people can act like mindless sheep and follow the Daily Mail's stupid vendetta!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    My thoughts:

If some chav rang up an old person and left lewd messages on their phone saying they'd f*cked their grand-daughter, that's be a criminal offence - but because it's two bloated egos at the BBC then that's all fine?

Sachs did not consent to the material being used, but it was used anyway.

Sachs did not request to be involved in the gag, and the man can hardly be considered much of a public figure these days - and certainly not a celebrity in the Heat magazine vein of the term. Public figures are open to ridicule and mockery, some person you've never heard of isn't.

A good comedian knows their targets and chooses them wisely, you attack an institution, an organisation, a religion, or a public figure or politician - this is where Brand and Ross both faltered.

I too, don't find "comedy" at all funny when the public is the butt of the joke, and isn't in on it either.

As for the furore, don't be labelling me a Daily Mailer - I hate that rag, like most tabloids, just a bunch of bile-inducing hate machines.

But I think the extent of this fuss goes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond the central issue, and has become a sort of 'excuse' if you will, for people to organise and level criticism en mass at the BBC, over issues such as:

* BBC's political bias, despite claiming to be impartial.
    * The License Fee - which is no longer suitable, this is not the 1930s anymore, there are literally hundreds of channels out there doing the exact same programming, and even doing it better.

I can't be doing with Brand, he was only bearable enough in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. As for Ross, I can't be doing with him either, I only watch Friday Night With... when there's a good guest on, and then it often ends up being Ross blathering over the guest, or somehow managing to circle the topic of conversation back onto him, or somehow descending the chat into a smutty pit that makes no comedic sense - e.g. when he asked David Cameron - the leader of the opposition party here in the UK, if he ever wanked-off to Margaret Thatcher. *sigh* I mean there are far funnier jokes you could ask of a political leader than that, I mean that's 10 year old stuff.

I think both Brand and Ross are two bloated bags of their own self-important wind, ESPECIALLY Ross, but you know what - at least Brand had the chuddies to film an apology that he also seemed to really mean, he even chose to resign from his Radio show, and he seemed to have genuinely owned up and realised he'd just gone that bit too far - so he's done plenty enough, although if he hasn't already (which the rumour is), he needs to apologise (as does Ross), to the grand-daughter in question, not just Andrew Sachs.

As for Ross, I think the BBC should lob him out of Film 2008 and put Mark Kermode in there instead, Kermode is a genuine film critic, not just a trumped up film fan who fawns over every celebrity guest he gets on his show before he either completely loves, or completely loathes a film with his flabby, paint-by-numbers film critique which is just a notch above Paul Ross.

As for government involvement - they should have nothing to do with it. Fine, make a passing remark if asked about it, but it shouldn't have any place in the House of Commons, nor should Gordon-bloody-Brown be having any part in it what-so-ever ... no doubt 'his words' on it being put out to the media was down to that absolute evil bastard Alistair Campbell, who's managed to sleek his way back in on the coat-tails of bloody Mandelson.

I don't find the content in question offensive, but I also find it to have just gone over the line with an unfair target - like I said, if it was some chav doing it, it'd be lewd harrassment and there'd either be a fine or a suspended sentence, perhaps more.

As for Ross being suspended without pay until a verdict is reached by the BBC (that Mark Thompson is a bit of a twat too, in my opinion), that's enough for me, as it means he loses about one-point-something-million-quid over the 12 week period he's off-air.

And that's another thing - the BBC shouldn't be held to ransom by these ego-fuelled presenters. You know what? Find new, fresh (and cheaper) talent elsewhere and let the bloated egos fight for work elsewhere.

The BBC also needs to wake the f*ck up already and realise that it isn't Channel 4, or even E4. It needs to:

* Produce actually un-biased news.
    * Pay their big stars less.
    * Produce programming that isn't being produced elsewhere - which is actually impossible, due to the afforementioned variety of channels out there.
    * At the very least, REDUCE the license fee significantly, £139 just for the BBC per year is a bloody ludicrous notion, especially as their 'reason for being' is no longer relevant or adhered to.

As for the license fee - I object to it - it's no longer of any point, due to the sheer volume of channels out there that are paying their own way through subscriptions (that you choose to pay) and advertising. It's also a goddamned tax that you are forced to pay for fear of being fined £1,000!!!

*gasps*

Rant over.

Administrator

England
    Sachs had agreed to be on the show (I believe).

He agreed to have the material played.

In the day(s) that followed the show there were TWO complains - Sachs being 50% of that figure.

Then the Daily Mail gets it teeth into the story and whips it up...

Apologies were made, Sach accepted...

Now the SINGLE comment everyone is talking about is, 'He f*cked your granddaughter':-
    1) This is a fact. He did! It's not a malicious lie. He was stating a fact.
    2) Brand could - as happens every week - sell his story to a paper with intimate details and even photos. So Sachs could open a paper and see reems of intimate facts about his granddaughter complete with pictures. How is the juvenile phone call any worse to that?

Surely this is more embarressing to Sachs? http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-20855480/

Yes it was Juvenile and personally at most a weeks suspension to those involved. But people losing their jobs? People having to resign? Being being suspended for months? The House of Commons? FFS!

What's interesting is how many people wade into this matter talking about license fees and Jonathan Ross' salary - What the hell does that have to do with applying common sense to a small juvenile act. Seems many other people are grinding other axes here, rather than being sensible.

And BTW - While Jonathan Ross' shows are not made, what's the bet the BBC are not infact losing money (not saving it). I suspect that show is syndicated around the world rather well!

As for the license fee! I'm annoyed the spending of it is being dictated by a mindless mob raised by tabloid gutter press jounalists basically calling for the burning of witches...
    -Carl Sagan

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    My thoughts:

It was only a prank phone call, they were only having some fun.

I hope Jonathon Ross doesnt get sacked as the guys tv show is hilarious.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    While I agree with you on most points, Neil, I must say...

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Now the SINGLE comment everyone is talking about is, 'He f*cked your granddaughter':-
    1) This is a fact. He did! It's not a malicious lie. He was stating a fact.
    That makes it even worse, IMO. That turns it from a stupid, juvenile wind-up into quite a spiteful, arrogant stab

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    That makes it even worse, IMO. That turns it from a stupid, juvenile wind-up into quite a spiteful, arrogant stab
    Possibly so... I think everyone is agree this is the single point of conjecture with this argument.

But none-the-less, it was a single statement, made 'at the moment', which wasn't meant to be 'spiteful'... Maybe it was misplaced, but such mistakes happen.

Do people need to lose jobs over that one statement?

And let's put this into context. I suspect the very press baying for Ross' blood have published articles FAR more hurtful about celebrities (private lives).
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    Yeah, this a load of wind over nothing. I don't even think the telephone call was all that offensive to be honest, anyone can see that it was just a laugh - nothing more.

Brand resigning? Wossy suspended for 3 months? If the BBC think this is punishment then they are wrong because they are only punishing themselves in the long run. Brand was a popular radio host and had a lot of people tuning in, the BBC can expect a major loss of listeners now. And do they think ol' Wossy gives a s**t about losing 1.5 mill, personally I would tell the BBC to stick their contract up their arse.

LOL, Andrew Sachs. Not exactly Prince Charles is he? And now his daughter is selling her story to The Sun, talking all about her sexual exploits with Brand, how he kept saying "Que?" when making love, and how he's not all that in the 'sach'. What a joke!
    Last edited by capncnut; 31-Oct-2008 at 01:13 PM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Yeah, this a load of wind over nothing. I don't even think the telephone call was all that offensive to be honest, anyone can see that it was just a laugh - nothing more.

Brand resigning? Wossy suspended for 3 months? If the BBC think this is punishment then they are wrong because they are only punishing themselves in the long run. Brand was a popular radio host and had a lot of people tuning in, the BBC can expect a major loss of listeners now. And do they think ol' Wossy gives a s**t about losing 1.5 mill, personally I would tell the BBC to stick their contract up their arse.

LOL, Andrew Sachs. Not exactly Prince Charles is he? And now his daughter is selling her story to The Sun, talking all about her sexual exploits with Brand, how he kept saying "Que?" when making love, and how he's not all that in the 'sach'. What a joke!
    The ONLY people who could claim to be offended by this were Sachs, and possibly little miss dominatrix. Sachs accepted the apology - Done! How can anyone else claim to be offended?

Then the Mail decide to get their sales figures up!

I'm so frustrated the BBC have given into those Daily Mail maggots! I bet the journalists behind this are so chuffed how much money/hassle they've dished out to Brand and Ross.

I hope the Mail continue their antics and Ross can sue them for some of the $hit they're stirring up!

They're actually trying to get him sacked from some ITV contracts now!
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    Now it's going too far.

Click

Wossy is being called upon to financially compensate the radio boss who was sacked in the whole debacle. Not only that but apparently one of the conditions of his return in January is that he must not 'bring the BBC into disrepute again'.

They're actually trying to get him sacked from some ITV contracts now!
    Edit: He's now dropped out of the British Comedy Awards, which is an ITV show. The whole thing is bordering on a farce!
    Last edited by capncnut; 31-Oct-2008 at 01:48 PM.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I just hate to think I'm paying 139 quid a year to hear two infantile idiots making prank calls....forgetting all the politics, the BBC is meant to be a public service broadcaster - they have no agenda where others do (and is why I am a supporter of the licence fee) and they have a public service mandate, which I'm pretty sure does not involve harassing any members of the public regardless of where and what shows they previously worked on.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    I just hate to think I'm paying 139 quid a year to hear two infantile idiots making prank calls....forgetting all the politics, the BBC is meant to be a public service broadcaster - they have no agenda where others do (and is why I am a supporter of the licence fee) and they have a public service mandate, which I'm pretty sure does not involve harassing any members of the public regardless of where and what shows they previously worked on.
    Yes! We should have 24/7 news, gardening and documentaries about shire horse!

Some one off messages on an answerphone = harrassement? When he was suppose to be there to take the call anyway (& wasn't)?

Not happy with the careers they've already dented (keep in mind Ross has lost ITV contracts now too), they've realised their onto a good thing, and in an attempt to keep their sales up, they've inventing more news - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-Queen.html

Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Wossy is being called upon to financially compensate the radio boss who was sacked in the whole debacle. Not only that but apparently one of the conditions of his return in January is that he must not 'bring the BBC into disrepute again'.
    I thought she resigned?

Clearly, we need a Daily Mail editor in charge of every Ross program to protect us all!
    Last edited by Neil; 31-Oct-2008 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Yes! We should have 24/7 news, gardening and documentaries about shire horse!

Some one off messages on an answerphone = harrassement? When he was suppose to be there to take the call anyway (& wasn't)?

Not happy with the careers they've already dented (keep in mind Ross has lost ITV contracts now too), they've realised their onto a good thing, and in an attempt to keep their sales up, they've inventing more news - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-Queen.html

I thought she resigned?

Clearly, we need a Daily Mail editor in charge of every Ross program to protect us all!
    Yep, Daily Mail is evil bandwagon newspaper from hell....no doubt about it...

But my problem is the infantile way of delivering their comedy - the jokes on Mock the Week are at least intelligent and have a point based on reality....Brand and Ross were just using their egos as a way to exploit some poor guy's private life....it just wasn't funny and didn't need to be aired...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

capncnut
    I thought she resigned?
    Yes, silly me!

35,000 complaints and rising.