Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Call of Duty: World At War Reviews/Discussion

United States

Call of Duty: World At War Reviews/Discussion

So, with the newest entry to the Call of Duty franchise out, I figured we could all share our thoughts on it.

I just finished the single-player campaign. Good stuff, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It is very atmospheric and emotional. The brutality of war really shows in this title. My only complaint is that it really short. I do not remember playing it for that long. Definitely shorter than CoD4 I believe. But is it better that CoD4? I would say it's kind of based on your preference.

Personally, I prefer WWII shooters to modern ones. Others will disagree. Although, I am very tired of hearing people complain about it going back to WWII. This title couldn't have stayed in the same as CoD4 era or it would we would have heard the same "been there, done that" complaints. It couldn't have gone further into the future, because that would be just silly. It couldn't go pre-WWII because it would be too boring with the primitive weaponry. The only place it could have gone that would have been different would have been Vietnam (something I would love to see). So why not go back to the franchises roots?

Remember when Call of Duty changed the face of WWII shooters with it's initial releases? Maybe not. Most of you probably never played a CoD title until it came to the 360. [This Comment Was Directed Towards Other People On Another Website] Lame.

Oh, and I was talking about the PC version this whole time.

United States
    so far, this game is awesome. from where i've progressed into the campaign, there have been several memorable moments. the level of violence is way up, making this a far more grittier and intense game than cod4. multiplayer is just about the same, but i like being able to call in attack dogs more than cod4's helicopter. still trying to make it through the campaign so i can play the zombie bonus level.

United States
    Are you on the PC?

If so, add me: "zombi"

United States
    nope, i'm playing it on 360. finished the campaign on solo, regular. planning on linking up with some friends to try the campaign on veteran.

the zombie bonus game is awesome, but i played it without any partners, so i didn't last too long.

Super Moderator

UK
    What I want to know is:

How does it compare to COD3?

Does it have crow-barred in, rather naff vehicle missions. Does it have shoved-in "press a button, waggle this stick, press another button" moments. Does control of the camera get snatched away from you at random times so we have to sit through a 'cinematic' moment, rather than just being 'within it' (like in COD4).

Do we have to sit through cinematics, or can we skip them. Is it buggy-as-f*ck? Does it feel 'videogamey' like COD3, or more like an 'experience' like COD4?

I definitely want to play it, but I want a heads up on anything sh*t, lame or outright annoying about it.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    What I want to know is:

How does it compare to COD3?

Does it have crow-barred in, rather naff vehicle missions. Does it have shoved-in "press a button, waggle this stick, press another button" moments. Does control of the camera get snatched away from you at random times so we have to sit through a 'cinematic' moment, rather than just being 'within it' (like in COD4).

Do we have to sit through cinematics, or can we skip them. Is it buggy-as-f*ck? Does it feel 'videogamey' like COD3, or more like an 'experience' like COD4?

I definitely want to play it, but I want a heads up on anything sh*t, lame or outright annoying about it.
    I've only had time to play the multiplayer so far. Even though it's a completely different team, it's virtually identical to CoD4. I'm just saying the layout and gameplay style. Of course the weapons are different and they added in some cool new features.

If the single player campaign plays the way multiplayer does, then I can assure you you'll love it.

United States
    I love the COD franchise and will def be getting this game ...

But

I prefer the Battlefield maps (and Forgotten Hope Mods)

COD always has been to "Manic, run around firing like crazy, close quarters even in the streets" for me

I like the more relaism style of strategy and open space, advancing and taking cover ...

CLICK >>>>>>>>>>>>> for CINEOBSCURE and CINEOBSCURE FORUMS!

United States
    Does it have crow-barred in, rather naff vehicle missions.
    There is only one and it's semi-linear.

Does it have shoved-in "press a button, waggle this stick, press another button" moments.
    Like Resident Evil 4? If so, then no.

Does control of the camera get snatched away from you at random times so we have to sit through a 'cinematic' moment, rather than just being 'within it' (like in COD4).
    Yes.

Do we have to sit through cinematics, or can we skip them?
    There aren't many.

Is it buggy-as-f*ck?
    Nope.

Does it feel 'videogamey' like COD3, or more like an 'experience' like COD4?
    Definitely an experience.

United States
    i would have to concur that the campaign is much more of an "experience" than a clunky video game. there are some pretty awesome levels that i look forward to replaying (like the first time i got to use a flamethrower, the 1st mission as the soviet troop where you have to time your sniper fire with the sounds of planes going by, or later in the same mission where your partner is attempting to lure the sniper in the building across the street)

never played cod3 so i can't make any direct comparisons, but it sure felt a lot like cod4 at times. worth the $$$. and then there's all the mulitplayer goodness. hardcore team deathmatch is ace!

Super Moderator

UK
    I decided to stump at the cash and ordered it, so I'll have it in a few days...in the mean time, back to Saints Row 2 - but I could do with a change of pace from it, I've done 76% of SR2 now, so I could do with some FPS action.

GOW2's on the Xmas list to Santa-man too.

United States
    aside from ignorant ai on the part of your allies, the only real complaint i have about this game is the same one i had for cod4: playing through the missions on veteran difficulty is nearly impossible. anyone else try to get the achievements for playing on veteran?

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    anyone else try to get the achievements for playing on veteran?
    No thanks. Did it for two levels on CoD4 and nearly broke my controller in a fit of anger.

Undisclosed
    Anyone want to join up in a clan ? Mine is 3Cav and my player name is Bluetgeld....Be cool to play with some zomibe loving freaks.

Super Moderator

UK
    Ah man, I tried Veteran on the bonus mish on COD4, and it was literally impossible. Literally impossible.

I gave up, went back to easy, and had fun instead.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MapMan View Post
    Anyone want to join up in a clan ? Mine is 3Cav and my player name is Bluetgeld....Be cool to play with some zomibe loving freaks.
    PC or 360?