Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Many to Save the World?

United States

How Many to Save the World?

I was thinking the other day about how most people suck, and I remembered the story of Sodom.

Most of you should know it, but for those that don't quite remember, the rundown: God decides the people of Sodom are pretty much complete pieces of crap, and decides to waste the city. But, if there are 100 good people in the town, He'll spare it. There aren't, so He lowers the bar, and again and again. Long story short, if there's just one decent human being in the whole miserable town, He won't destroy it. There isn't, and the city gets destroyed.

Now, here's the situation: it's modern day, and God gives you the same deal, only on a global scale. What percentage of people do you think God needs to drop the bar to, in order to spare our race?

Are 50% of people good? Are 90%? Or maybe only 25% of the people in the world are worth saving...?

What do you think?

United States
    Define "good"

Seriously, depends on what day you ask me. Some days I'd say 50/50, most days 75/25 bad/good, some days even less...

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    20%, final offer.

Christmas Island
    Good does need to be more defined in this context. Sodom was a very f.ucked up city and "good" as applied to Sodom is probably very different than good applied on a global scale in my mind. But to answer your question in terms of global good, i.e., uncorrupt, compassionate, sharing, and truthful then I would say 25%.
    Last edited by MaximusIncredulous; 11-Dec-2008 at 02:40 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    My first thoughtful reply to this thread was going to be "R U sirius?", but I'll just say that though it's easier for people to remain civil and harmonious when the population is below the support threshold of local living space and resources, the capacity for good and evil will always be with us.

The idea that we, god or an outside event can scrub the slate clean of 'all those evil' or 'dumb' or whatever people is a narcissistic, overly simplified daydream and is the sort of thinking that is, ironically enough, the intellectual and spiritual grandfather of great and evil deeds.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    The first problem is what does God consider good. If you live by the bible and no one really does, then there are no good people left in the world. People lie, cheat, steal, kill. They have premarital sex, they eat shell fish, they consume unclean animals. Then you have to consider if this would be a representation of the old testament or new, koran, torra... I think we can all feel in some way we are good people. I try my best to do good and to treat others in the way I wish to be treated. (Golden Rule). What more can be said.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think for the most part the human race is good and tries to be good. Some people screw it up for the rest of us. A few bad eggs in a dozen.

To quote Jor El...

"They can be a great people... they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way"

Super Moderator

United States
    Well said, Bassman. Well said.

Reading your reply after mine, mine really reads as though I'm on the rag today

*Orders a cranberry juice.*

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    20%, final offer.
    You drive a hard bargain, God.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy911sc View Post
    The first problem is what does God consider good. If you live by the bible and no one really does, then there are no good people left in the world. People lie, cheat, steal, kill. They have premarital sex, they eat shell fish, they consume unclean animals. Then you have to consider if this would be a representation of the old testament or new, koran, torra... I think we can all feel in some way we are good people. I try my best to do good and to treat others in the way I wish to be treated. (Golden Rule). What more can be said.
    This is VERY good point. VERY few people are "good" in the biblical sense.

But there are probably a fair number of people who are decent, hardworking, relatively honest, don't hurt anyone else. So is that considered "good"?

Let's say you fall into that category (as I'd say I do), but you don't really perform charitable services or contribute to charity, don't perform selfless acts, etc. People who basically take care of their own, mind their own business, do their best to survive, & strive do no harm onto others, either by direct OR indirect actions or words. Good or no ?

If we're going strictly biblical, then I'd say 99% of us are screwed, for one reason or another...

United States
    This isn't that complicated. You should be able recognize bad when you see it.

For instance, if a man would gleefully set a carload of children on fire to collect the auto insurance payout, that would go under the "bad" heading. You know right from wrong; just apply it to the people you see. Weed out the scumbags, and count who is left.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    This is VERY good point. VERY few people are "good" in the biblical sense.

But there are probably a fair number of people who are decent, hardworking, relatively honest, don't hurt anyone else. So is that considered "good"?

Let's say you fall into that category (as I'd say I do), but you don't really perform charitable services or contribute to charity, don't perform selfless acts, etc. People who basically take care of their own, mind their own business, do their best to survive, & strive do no harm onto others, either by direct OR indirect actions or words. Good or no ?

If we're going strictly biblical, then I'd say 99% of us are screwed, for one reason or another...
    I agree. Old Testament wise we are all pretty much screwed.

For example, I am a Buddhist and therefore would probably be screwed under the old testament guidelines. I have heard from some born again Christians (new testament) some conflicting things-- one faction says that if I am a decent person which good moral values and a love and respect for my fellow mankind that I would then be considered a good person, however I have been also told by other factions that unless I am a born again like them that whether I am decent, etc. would not mean anything at all.

As a child, my folks sent me to a private school which was Christian based because they had a superior educational program than the public schools in my area. In Kindergarten, I remember being told that if I was a Christian and my family were buddhists that on the day of reckoning that the "hand of god" would scoop me up and carry me to heaven while the earth fell apart in the fires of hell, and my grandparents would be left behind, waving goodbye to me sadly as they were consumed by the god's wrath against the sinners. Of course, being a kid, this made me immediately break down in tears.

Before I get flamed for what I said, I want everyone to know that I realize that not all Christians feel this way, or subscribe to this sort of thought, so please understand that I do not mean my post as an attack on Christianity. I only mean to illustrate that the answer to the OG poster's query would depend on your interpretation of the word of the (Christian) Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy911sc View Post
    I agree with Skip's comment about the Golden Rule. Practically every major religion subscribes to this philosophy, so it can be considered a universal rule.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 12-Dec-2008 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    This isn't that complicated. You should be able recognize bad when you see it.
    Sure it is. Who decides what's "bad"?

Now, before I go any further, let me say I think there are certain things that, reguardless of religion or creed are just plain wrong. Murder. Rape. Theft. etc.

BUT...as said earlier, depending on your source/religion you can go to hell for: homosexuality, premarital sex, eating pork, etc.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    This isn't that complicated.
    It's never too difficult for those orchestrating the pogroms

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post

Have to question thought, not doing any kind of selfless acts or not committing to any kind of charitable action, doesn't that equate to indirect bad doings... if you seesome one in trouble help kind of thought.

Not flaming just probing the question further