Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resistance is futile...

Super Moderator

Germany

Resistance is futile...

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/12...mage_research/

World's first 'thought images' seen on screen

11th December 2008 18:19 GMT

Asking 'shall we watch a film?' could soon be replaced by 'shall we watch a dream?' For the first time, researchers have successfully reproduced images on a PC screen that were captured inside a human brain.

According to several online sources, Japan's ATR Computational Neuroscience Laboratories first showed a group of test subjects the six individual letters that make up the word 'neuron'.

Then by measuring brain activity – specifically, activity in the brain’s visual cortex – ATR’s researchers were able to reproduce each of the letters, from each of the subjects, on a PC screen.

The Kyoto-based lab said in a statement that it was the first time that it had ever been possible to visualise what people saw directly from their brain activity.

But where will the researchers go from here? ATR added that the technology may make it possible to, one day, record and replay subjective images that people perceive as dreams.

So no more forgetting what that weird dream was less than 30 seconds after you wake up.
    This tech could lead to the recording of experiences and then replaying them in other peoples' brains like in the movie Brainstorm.

Totally dope.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post

Totally dope.
    Sure, if you like Thought Police

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

Germany
    Sorry, don't have a cop fetish...

Anyway in the movie they recorded extreme sports experiences, theme park rides, and even sexual encounters. One guy got totally addicted to the sexual encounter tape in the movie. If they invented the tech, it would definitely lead to this. There is no question in my mind.

United States
    This might be pretty cool.

Anyone for an interactive "Dawn" scenario dream?

-stray-

Dying

Undisclosed
    'Strange Days' follows a similar theme, plus it has a topless Juliette Lewis. That's something I could be addicted to.
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: What?
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company.

England
    The best thing would be if they could work this in reverse,so that a camera could project the world around into a blind persons mind,therefore bypassing their knackered mince pies,that would be far cooler!

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh man, a dream recorder would be awesome, kinda like in Red Dwarf.

Just think, you could view back that awesome sex dream you had, but immediately forgot, or you could view back the sheer awesomeness of your pwning skills in your own sleepy-time zombie epic.

United States
    Man, this scares to fook out of me for some reason. Imagine if they can look around in there & pull out whatever they want. What if they can reverse engineer it & PUT images in your mind. False memories, brainwashing, all kinds of applications.

Maybe I'm just paranoid...

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    "The Dream Police they live inside of my head, the Dream Police they come to me in my bed..." Yeah, also like that anime Paprika. What's that? Haven't seen it? Maybe you did, and just forgot, but it's definitely one of the best out there... look it up, I promise you won't be sorry.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Easy solution to all the paranoia: don't let anybody plug any wires into your head, no matter how many times they tell you it can inject you with adamantium.

United States
    Awesome!! the technology is very primitive if it can only display letters but huge leap for man kind

Super Moderator

Germany
    Here is what the process imaged:

United Kingdom
    That. Is. Amazing.

I would so be up for having my dream recorded. Can't imagine I'm important enough in the grand scheme of things for anyone to want to implant my brain with false memories.

Yay!
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Freak View Post
    Can't imagine I'm important enough in the grand scheme of things for anyone to want to implant my brain with false memories.
    Add to that your smile and chipper demeanor and we have the perfect Manchurian candidate

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Christmas Island
    Fantastic! Now I can finally make my own movies, well blurry silent movies anyway.