Thread: Audio program to create 70s-esque sound?

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Audio program to create 70s-esque sound?

Does anybody know of a program that can morph your audio into sounding like it's audio from the 70s? You know what I mean? Stuff that sounds like this...

I want to emulate that lo-fi, almost warped, sound of that. I just don't have the proper program plug-ins. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Also, if anybody knows any links to any royalty free music like that, that would also rule. I've got some tunes, but they're not great; could definitely use better ones.

Undisclosed
    Sound Forge.

Super Moderator

UK
    Not sure if it'd be suitable music, but you might wanna check out this:

www.incompetech.com

Bloke called Kevin MacLeod, has a bunch of royalty free music up on there, he suggests a donation of $5 a track that you use, but of course that's a suggestion. I've heard a bunch of his tracks and they are quite good, especially considering the usual crap you can't use anywhere that you usually find in connection with "royalty free".

He's got a whole bunch of music styles from which to choose, you can hear a sample, then directly download an MP3, and search by either "Genre" or "Feel".

He also does commissioned scores too.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 18-Dec-2008 at 09:27 AM.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Thanks a lot. I'll be sure to check out some of his music.

As for rendering the tracks to get that old sound to them, I found some perfect free VSI plug-ins for Premiere, so I'm good.

Now I just gotta figure out how I can create background graphics like the ones in those YouTube clips...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'm interested in those VSI (sure you don't mean VSTs?) plugins as well! What are they called? Where'd ya get em? I've got two films I wanna give a 70's sound, and a third one coming up.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I'm interested in those VSI (sure you don't mean VSTs?) plugins as well! What are they called? Where'd ya get em? I've got two films I wanna give a 70's sound, and a third one coming up.
    It sounds like bad compression and a limited frequency response which can be dialed in with an EQ. If you're using Premiere, then get Adobe Audition, which contains suitable plug-ins for that 70s sound.

Undisclosed
    I use this plug in, which is for Pro Tools, but there is also an FCP version, which is great. I've used this for a bunch of on-air stuff I've edited when we need to retrofit the sound.

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl/

So, another option for those not using Premiere.

pJ
    "See you in L.A., Marvin." - Jack Walsh

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Anyone who knows there way around an EQ and a PC program called Adobe Audition can do that,

basically you want a muddy sound at a low sample rate.

So if you take your sound which is normally 44 -48khz, and down grade it to 22 or less, then use the EQ to remove high end and add some lows, Voila... you have that sound style.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Undisclosed
    DJ,

I would suggest that it is partly EQ - but there are also inherent artifacts in that old sound which was recored magnetically. Mechanical hum, optical pops from the prints - all sorts of junk. I like to mix in other bits of junk in there to complete the effect.

pJ

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by PJoseph View Post
    I use this plug in, which is for Pro Tools, but there is also an FCP version, which is great. I've used this for a bunch of on-air stuff I've edited when we need to retrofit the sound.

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl/

So, another option for those not using Premiere.

pJ
    Since this is a VST, it should work with any audio program that utilizes plug-ins, or is it exclusive only to Pro Tools and FCP?

Undisclosed
    Well, I suppose you could download and try. It doesn't list the supported audio or video editors - but it is cross platform for MAC and Windows - give it a shot. It's free!

pJ

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by PJoseph View Post
    Well, I suppose you could download and try. It doesn't list the supported audio or video editors - but it is cross platform for MAC and Windows - give it a shot. It's free!
    pJ
    You guys are silly.

This is the VST that you want to use for that 70s sound: TRASH (same web site, different product). It approximates the distorted, compressed sound of saturated tape perfectly, as well as a million other useful applications.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 23-Mar-2009 at 06:02 PM.

Undisclosed
    We are pretty silly.

This looks like it costs $200. Vinyl is free if you just want to horse around with some ideas - not sure everyone needs all these options if they don't have the cash.

Also - Vinyl works right in FCP, so you can edit the audio in the timeline, then apply effects. Now, I did not READ everything here about Trash, but if it can work as a plug in with video editors, that is pretty helpful as opposed to having to work an outside stream that you reimport.

But either way, this company makes decent software. The music samples are cool.

pJ
    Last edited by PJoseph; 23-Mar-2009 at 11:55 PM.