Thread: USB Mouse ... PS/2 adapter...

Super Moderator

UK

USB Mouse ... PS/2 adapter...

Alright dudes,

Just got a new 5-button mouse (USB) today, but found that it won't work at all with my PS/2 adapter thingymajig, that came with my current 3-button mouse (which is USB also).

My keyboard is PS/2, and I really like that keyboard's layout and keys, so I'm not changing to USB from PS/2 - and my new KVM Switch is PS/2 as well to accomodate my wish to maintain my current rather noiiice keyboard.

It's also an issue of available USB slots on my current rig, and working in my KVM switch when my new rig arrives. (I know what I like, I like what I like, and that's that - so kindly no snobby, scoffy comments telling me to ditch PS/2 and go all USB ... which is hardly like going from SD to HD, so shaddup.)

Anyway, my question is - does any know of/can recommend an adapter for a USB mouse to definitely make it work with a PS/2 slot?

Or are some mice simply totally unable to work with PS/2, even with an adapter?
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 22-Dec-2008 at 04:48 PM.

United States
    The only adapter that I know of it a standard USB to PS/2 that I am sure you already have. Get a USB supported KVM?

Super Moderator

UK
    Perhaps I'll have to have two mouses and then just not plug the PS/2 mouse cable on the KVM into the computer using my brand new mouse...*sigh*

Also I'm not getting a USB KVM as I've just bought a PS/2 one, with the explicit purpose of keeping my lovely keyboard that I'm very fond of.

Annoying a lot of "adapters/converters" word themselves the wrong way around. I need to turn a USB device (mouse) into a PS/2 device, whereas most of what you find online turns PS/2 devices into USB devices. The former I'm seeking, the latter I'm not, and yet chumps making these things don't list it correctly even on their product boxes.

However, I was looking around and found some another way of wording what I'm looking for, in a somewhat jargon-tastic way:

USB-A Female to PS/2 Male Mouse PS2 Adaptor

Any ideas on that front folks? There is one I've found for less than £1.50, but even still, don't wanna waste a quid-fifty on something that won't work if I don't have to.

Why might the one I have now not work for the new USB mouse? Something to do with a 'signal' not matching?

United States

United States
    If you need more USB slots you can buy a USB hub for about $15 at Best Buy. Usually you can get 4 extra ports with one of those. I had to use one a while back and had no problems at all.
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190

Super Moderator

UK
    Jonas - eh? How did you get me needing more USB slots from my thread? The problem is needing a USB mouse to work with an adapter/converter to make it work in the PS/2 port.

3p - ta for the link, looks the same as one I've seen elsewhere, I just hope it works (if I get it), although in that link it's a keyboard converter, not a mouse converter, and just because one person says they got the wrong thing, I wouldn't order it from there anyway, because clearly that was an error on part of whoever was sending the item to the dude in the first place ... but yeah, that's the kinda thing.

However - I already have one of those, which came with my other mouse - and it doesn't work with my new USB mouse, it just flat out refuses to work at all, which is very strange indeed, surely these adapter/converters are supposed to be capable of working on all USB mouse devices?!