Thread: Legalized Murder

United States

Legalized Murder

Here comes another theoretical scenario thread. Somewhat morbid, but everyone here enjoys watching zombies getting their heads shot off, so I'm sure you can handle it.

In some ways, this is a lot like our zombie epidemic scenarios. Here's the situation:

The government (assume it's yours, or even worldwide if you want to think that hard) passes legislation making killing legal. Real simple task: describe what you think would happen. What would life be like? How would civilization work (if at all)?

United States
    What kind of killing? Any? Wow...it'd have to get "old west style" pretty quick. Out west in the 1800's the carrying of firearms was much more relaxed than today (though many towns DID have ordinances that you were supposed to check your firearms upon entering town). In those days the definition of "self defense" was much looser as a result. IE: if I have a gun & YOU have a gun, we have a disagreement, you throw down on me & I kill you, then it's self defense.

If I understand the question correctly it would have to get like that damn quick. Because if we BOTH have guns you MIGHT not be willing to shoot at me, even if you don't get in trouble for killing me, 'cause I can shoot back & maybe I'm faster or a better shot!

Otherwise...it would get damn ugly damn quick...

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    The government (assume it's yours, or even worldwide if you want to think that hard) passes legislation making killing legal. Real simple task:

describe what you think would happen.
    People would go nuts and kill each other over nonsense.

What would life be like?
    Very short and exciting.

How would civilization work (if at all)?
    Just like in our prisons but on a larger scale.

United States
    I know in one of the tropical countrys south of florida dualing is legal as long as both fighters are blood donars. weird but true!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I know in one of the tropical countrys south of florida dualing is legal as long as both fighters are blood donars. weird but true!
    What kind of dueling is that? The old-school pistols, or even older-school fencing?

United States
    fencing, but still

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I'd stay inside a lot more, myself... and that's saying something!
    civilization would probably crumble up pretty quick... scary thought.

United States
    Here comes another theoretical scenario thread. Somewhat morbid, but everyone here enjoys watching zombies getting their heads shot off, so I'm sure you can handle it.

In some ways, this is a lot like our zombie epidemic scenarios. Here's the situation:

The government (assume it's yours, or even worldwide if you want to think that hard) passes legislation making killing legal. Real simple task: describe what you think would happen. What would life be like? How would civilization work (if at all)?
    1) There would be a primary phase in which the murder rate would jump sky-high as nut jobs and basic criminal types went at one another. This phase would not last long.

2) Life afterwords would be polite ... VERY polite. There would be a few "gunslinger" types around, but society would grind them down to nothing in a few short years.

3) Civilization would work the the same as always, just more polite (and only honest men would be in elected positions of authority ... or else ...) There would also be a return to moral behavior -- public drunkeness/drug addiction, and general ass-backward behavior would not be tolerated. Public hanging of social miscreants (rapists, child molesters, kidnappers, etc) would be common.

-stray-

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by strayrider View Post
    1) There would be a primary phase in which the murder rate would jump sky-high as nut jobs and basic criminal types went at one another. This phase would not last long.

2) Life afterwords would be polite ... VERY polite. There would be a few "gunslinger" types around, but society would grind them down to nothing in a few short years.
    Spot on. Also, extended family relationships and other social networks would become more important. This is what you see in other societies where government law enforcement doesn't exist or is inadequate. Often, the murder rate is still low because everyone knows that if you kill someone for no good reason, their family and friends are coming after you. Families have a big incentive to keep their own members in line to avoid the beginning of a blood feud that could get out of hand.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United States

I would like to think that just because "murder" was legal, it wouldnt become a widespread activity. It isnt legal now, but it still happens a lot anyway.

Most "murders" today happen for 3 reasons:
    1) Passion - this would happen at the same rate
    2) Because of economic situation
    3) Because of drug selling activity

If drugs were legalized and we came up with a better economic system to run the world, then murders would actually go down.