Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Underwater zombies!?

United States
    I don't see the fascination with the superzombie fad. It's not necessary at all.

All a zombie needs to do is bite people and get shot. That's it. Works just fine. I don't need to see a bunch of useless, elaborate crap to be entertained.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    I don't see the fascination with the superzombie fad. It's not necessary at all.

All a zombie needs to do is bite people and get shot. That's it. Works just fine. I don't need to see a bunch of useless, elaborate crap to be entertained.
    I understand the furore over running zombies and thinking zombies, but I don't see how showing zombies travelling and surviving under the surface of the water is that much of a stretch. They don't have to breathe, so it's just a natural extension of the original concept - it's not giving them a "new power", it's not some contrived set-up, it's just putting them in an unfamiliar but perfectly logical situation.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 28-Dec-2008 at 12:05 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

Yes. I agree. Creativity bad! Formulatic good!!!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Yes. I agree. Creativity bad! Formulatic good!!!
    So I guess you thought Jaws: The Revenge was great, since we get to drop the shark into the Caribbean just for something different.

Adding things for the sake of adding them is stupid. That's why people won't continue to watch. Or, in the case of the Day of the Dead remake, they watch only to see how crappy it will be, and to make fun of it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    So I guess you thought Jaws: The Revenge was great, since we get to drop the shark into the Caribbean just for something different.
    Uhm, I don't know if you've actually seen Jaws 4, but it wasn't the Caribbean part that was awful... It was the script. And... Everything else.

Do you know what movie and musics main strength is, and what differs hailed movies from berated ones? Change and surprise. It's not about "adding things for the sake of adding", as you might think, but rather cleverness and an understanding of how movies and scripts work. Give people something they haven't seen before, and they will be intrigued. Give them something they've seen dozens of times before, they'll eventually tire of it.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 28-Dec-2008 at 08:04 AM.

United States

Adding things for the sake of adding them is stupid. That's why people won't continue to watch. Or, in the case of the Day of the Dead remake, they watch only to see how crappy it will be, and to make fun of it.
    In some cases though, it's not adding for the sake of adding, but more taking something familiar (the zombie) & putting it in a situation we haven't seen before.

How many time have we on here imagined up various scenarios we haven't seen like "what would they do in the winter?" etc.

I'm seeing this in that vein.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    ...but when big daddy and his formation of ghouls popped across the river unaffected by the current, it really seemed pretty lame.
    Speak the word brother. Lamest of the lame. And the whole scene was predicated on the idea that the zombies never *tried* to cross the river. I always figured they knew the river was a safe boundary because zombies would walk blindly into the river and get swept away. Oh, well, stagnant water under the proverbial zombie-infested drawbridge.

@clanglee - Back to Bubba Elvis. Awesome. I've missed you!!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Zombie vs. Shark is whack...I rest my case.

Agreed, hated the scene. Hated the thought of it in a Romero film even more.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Agreed, hated the scene. Hated the thought of it in a Romero film even more.
    I didnt think that seen was too bad. A zombie should be able to be underwater. A shark would attack anything that moved. So it didnt bother me.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Yeah, the zombie vs. shark scenes is one of the coolest zombie scenes ever, if you ask me.
    I agree. I thought it was quite spooky when he popped out of the weeds.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    I agree. I thought it was quite spooky when he popped out of the weeds.
    I thought that scene was proper messed up - in a good way - because ultimately, that's a real guy who needs to breathe air - fighting a goddamned shark - that's pretty impressive!

It's also quite cool, because it shows off that zombies don't need to breathe. Besides, in Land of the Dead the zombies walked across the river bed - we just didn't see it because Pirates of the Carribean did the whole 'undead march across the water bed' thing.

United States
    I am cool with them being underwater, not needing to breathe, marching on the ground even if currents and weights allow... but zombies vs sharks in grudge matches to the death are kind of lame. It is not what I look for personally in my zombie films.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I am cool with them being underwater, not needing to breathe, marching on the ground even if currents and weights allow... but zombies vs sharks in grudge matches to the death are kind of lame. It is not what I look for personally in my zombie films.
    Well, to clarify my earlier comments where I said that I "didnt have a problem with it"...

As you say, I did not have a problem with them being underwater, not needing to breathe, etc. And I thought it was a cool scene. Especially taking into account that it wasnt a GAR movie, so it wasnt part of the "good zombie movies" that I enjoy so much. I would expect more out of a GAR flick. In actuality, a shark would rip a zombie apart almost immediately. It was an interesting scene to see, but not a scene I would expect in a quality zombie movie, of which by my own personal definition I mean a GAR movie.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The underwater thing is cool with me. All this talk about the current in Land, but if I remember correctly that river was perfectly calm....

As for the new film.....we know from the photos that there is a ferry, so maybe they had to have a supervisor on the boat for insurance reasons? I dunno.....

Where's a fucking trailer anyway?