Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know...

United States

Does anyone know...

What book this is, or who this author is? I assume that is a pic of the author on the back of the book.

At the present time, there had been 26 views and no responses.

Any thoughts on how to figure out who that is?
    Last edited by Philly_SWAT; 06-Jan-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    What book this is, or who this author is? I assume that is a pic of the author on the back of the book.

At the present time, there had been 26 views and no responses.

Any thoughts on how to figure out who that is?
    Any thoughts at all?

United States
    sorry, brother. nothing to report from my camp.

Super Moderator

United States
    Any thoughts at all?
    Yes...

If A, in the above Venn diagram, equals all people currently out of luck, then B would equal you.

Or, if you prefer:

Seriously though, you stumped me, Philly. I trust someone will come up with something for you, though.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Lol!

Scotland
    I can tell you that because the spine is on the left side that the old guy is the front cover.

There is some red writing in the bottom left of the cover though. Looks like one word.

So your looking for a one word Title with an old guy as the front cover.

Why are you so determined to find this?
    Last edited by LoSTBoY; 07-Jan-2009 at 01:35 PM.

ViP

United States
    Lostboy, if you look at the 20's you can see that they are reversed, so this is the back of the book.

It is a book from the gambling scene in Dawn.

Philly, try running it through one of those face recognition software things online.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    Lostboy, if you look at the 20's you can see that they are reversed, so this is the back of the book.
    Wow! I didnt even notice that the 20's were reversed. Good eye! I guess my subconscious mind must have picked up on that, which explains why I thought it was the back of a book even though the spine is on the left.

Not quite.

Philly, try running it through one of those face recognition software things online.
    I didnt know that there was such a thing online. Do you know of a link?
    Last edited by Philly_SWAT; 07-Jan-2009 at 03:07 PM.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    The guy is wearing a shirt with french cuffs for what it's worth.

His manner of dress says style and old money, that along with pose makes me think politician or a money man.

The twenties look like old style twenties, so that would date the image also.
    Last edited by brer; 09-Jan-2009 at 07:35 AM.

United States
    Thats something. Anyone else?

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Looks a little bit like Ian Fleming, but I don't think it's him.

On the off chance, I tried running the picture through the facial recognition software on MyHeritage.com but the site wouldn't recognise that there is even a face in the image. I tried reorientating the image so the face is upright, stretched out to normal relative dimensions, blown up to fill the whole image, but still no luck. I think the fact that the image is in black and white and that his left eye is in shadow are possibly confusing the software.

United States
    Print out the image in color pic and take it to a large bookstore or library. Find an older employee (50+ years old) and show them the picture.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Scotland
    Not quite.
    If this is not from Dawn of the Dead, where is it from? If you give me film title, it would help to date the book, the author in question and potentially help narrow down our list of candidates.

Here's what I'm gonna do for you Philly, because I'm a jobless loser at the moment and I've got nothing better to do with my time:

ASSUMING this image is from Dawn of the Dead, that means this book was published some time during or before 1977. Bear in mind also, that the photo could have been taken quite some time before the book was printed.

Now, we can't say for sure that this book wasn't published long before this date and was reprinted, or that the book itself wasn't an old copy - but judging from the clothing he's wearing and the quality and style of the photograph, I think we can safely say this pic is certainly not much older than World War 2 (the contrast levels and the naturalistic pose do not correspond to the portrait style used before this time).

So that gives us a date range for the photograph - lets say this photo was taken (to be safe) sometime between about 1935 & 1977.

Okay, so looking at the mystery author's face, we would appear to be somewhere in his late fifties/early sixties when this photo was taken. This means he was very likely born some time between 1870 and 1922. Bear in mind that these are at the extreme ends of what is likely and his actual birth date is probably somewhere in the middle of that.

So we're looking for a man who was probably a novelist (although we can't rule out the possibility he was a biographer, celebrity or politician) born between 1870 and 1922. It's not a lot to go on, really, but it's a start. And if I take the liberty of admitting a hunch that, based on his face and clothing, he is/was a European (he just doen't look American or Australasian), then I've got a foundation on which to start my armchair investigations...

United States
    Originally Posted by axlish View Post

Not quite.
    It is from Dawn, but not from the gambling scene. Hence the reply "not quite"

And he does look European for some reason to me too. But that could be entirely false, even with our two great minds thinking alike.
    Last edited by Philly_SWAT; 24-Jan-2009 at 06:32 PM.

Scotland
    It is from Dawn, but not from the gambling scene. Hence the reply "not quite"
    Okay, I'm gonna find out that guy's name if it kills me.

I was just thinking, could the fact that the book is propped open with money be some kind of satirical or visual in-joke? Like if the guy was a politician known for taking bribes or something...
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 24-Jan-2009 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost