Thread: Cop Shoots Restrained Man on Video.

United States

Cop Shoots Restrained Man on Video.

Not sure how they're going to justify this...

http://www.vladtv.com/video/2813/ter...lice-shooting/

Even if the gentleman being restrained was reaching for a weapon, there were 3 cops on him. There is no way that he could have gotten it out. The cop just drew his gun, got off of him, and then fired. I've never seen it carried out this way before...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The video doesn't show enough to say it wasn't justified. The guy wasn't cooperating, he could've been reaching for something in his pocket or wasteband, and the cop fired to protect himself.

The news reporter tries to say that the suspect was cooperating, but to me it looks more like those guys you always see on the show cops shouting "I aint running! I aint running!" as they flap about like a fish out of water trying to get away.

As I said, this video doesn't really provide a good enough view to tell what really happened.

*sits back and waits for the inevitable "cops are dicks!!!" posts that will come flooding in*

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Restrained people are dicks!!!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Restrained people are dicks!!!

I had that one coming. The thing is....this guy wasn't restrained. They were trying to get him restrained and it looks to me like he wasn't cooperating. He could've been reaching for a weapon. I guess we'll have to wait for the report to be released to find out...

United States
    All I'm saying is...the way that the cop drew his gun, got off of the gentleman, and then fired was something that I have not seen before.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I guess we'll have to wait for the report to be released to find out...
    I agree with you there. Video material like this can be interpreted in so many ways. If the cop shot him for no good reason, then he's a dick. But if he had a reason, I'll at least hear it out.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    My estranged Uncle's a bobby... er, cool if I still call 'im a dick?

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    If the cop shot him for no good reason, then he's a dick. But if he had a reason, I'll at least hear it out.
    Yeah, that's fair enough, as far as I'm concerned. I do like these things to be looked at closely, however as it's not like people with power don't abuse it.

I just don't like to see all the slaps on the wrists for violent crimes against the citizenry. This is not to say that the use of force does not have it's place, but if someone doesn't have the temperament for that sort of civil service (an admittedly difficult job, more often than not), then there is going to be a higher chance the officer in question will make further mistakes in the future and endanger others, themselves and put his or her fellow officers on the hot seat trying to cover it up. Doing little or nothing to curb negative behavior and the misapplication of force/use of excessive force also re-reinforces a culture of corruption.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Well, it is the safest way to shoot somebody.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Well, it is the safest way to shoot somebody.
    Horrifyingly grim, but true!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany