Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: return of the living dead

Twitching

United States
    Again I say,
    Rip on the hamhanded way they glammed the Twilight movie up, but Stephanie Meyer's books were probably the best depiction of "humane vampires" ever delivered.

The thing about the zombie vs vampire mythos is that vampire movies draw heavily on the traditional folklore of european vampires, and movie zombies are pretty much a product of the scriptwriter's adaptation of the mythical Ghoul. That being the case, there's a LOT more flex-room in the vampire mythos than in the artificial movie zombie mythos.

On one point I'll concede however. The trend of the last few years has been to make vampires some sort of virally affected humans with predatory mutations, because the whole Vampires Are Unholy/Harmed by holy water, crosses, holy ground etc. has been abandoned.

I think the reason people scream so loudly when someone mucks with the zombie mythos is because those who decide to alter the mythos almost always go completely over the top, Ie: The Day remake.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    You actually consider ROTLD3 to exist as a film? I always thought of it more as "abuse".
    word. that "film" sucks in ways that ginger lynn could appreciate.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    You actually consider ROTLD3 to exist as a film? I always thought of it more as "abuse".
    I liked Part 3 the most out of the whole series. Sure, it wasn't a true "zombie movie", but I liked the story it told. It was silly and cheesy, but sad and serious at the same time. I understand why other people didn't like it, though - it was very weird.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Trust me if you have watched 4 & 5, 3 is closer to the original mythology than the latest 2 shitfests.

While 3 is a far departure, and that is because it wasn't written as a direct sequel for the series, it still is better zombie film than 4 & 5.

3, only got its name when Trimark scooped up the name rights in a fire sale auction from Orion Pictures. Trimark was sold to Lions Gate, hence why the DVD is Lion's Gate.

MGM owns the rights to the series now. They scopped it bacxk up when the DVD re-release for 2005 did very well, and because they plan a remake in the near future with Tom Cruise's UA doing the production (Studio wise)
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiekiller View Post
    has any one else read this book. it has nothing to do with the movie. it takes place between night and dawn. it starts out at a funeral(i know it might be spelled wrong) at a farm house. after the preacher says his peace they drive a metal spike thru the head. i bet it would have made a good movie.
    I have read it a couple times, it is a decent story even though there are many spelling errors (you would think they would hire a proof reader before it hit the presses). I got lucky and snatched up a first edition on Ebay a few years back and then got it signed by Russo who seemed irritated that I didn't want it personalized until I told him I have no plans to sell it unless I absolutely needed the money (at the time a signed copy was on Amazon for over $200).
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190

United States
    I'm staying with a friend who maintains that the original ROTLD is the best zombie film of all time.

Personally, though--I didn't like it all that much.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.