Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    have you ever read "The Western Way of War" by Victor Hansen? great book about how greek and roman military thinking influence western culture.
    No, but right off the bat that sounds really interesting!

UK
    stephen kings roadwork
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie9 View Post
    stephen kings roadwork
    Ah, another Richard Bachman classic! I quite enjoyed it.

Make sure you do The Running Man, the Long Walk and Blaze!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

United States
    I am currently reading Great Dialogues of Plato (a Signet Classic).

-stray-

Administrator

England
    Read Enders Game - Enjoyed the first 2/3rds but felt the last 1/3rd dropped off a bit.

Currently reading Starship Troopers...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    I've been revisiting some sci-fi classics. if you are a fan and have not read joe haldeman's "The Forever War" or james hogan's "Code of the Lifemaker", you probably should give them a look.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by stray View Post
    I am currently reading Great Dialogues of Plato (a Signet Classic).

-stray-
    Symposium or The Republic

Currently, The Dresden Files - Death Masks
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

Administrator

England
    I've been revisiting some sci-fi classics. if you are a fan and have not read joe haldeman's "The Forever War" or james hogan's "Code of the Lifemaker", you probably should give them a look.
    I've got "The Forever War," so I'll read that soon!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I got another book the other day. "Macedonian Armes after Alexander - 323 - 168 B.C.", which is actually quite thin at 100 pages at best. It covers the macedonian armies during the period mentioned in the title up the dissolution of the Macedonian kingdom by the Roman republic.

I don't know why I keep fetching these books, or why I find this interesting...

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I got another book the other day. "Macedonian Armes after Alexander - 323 - 168 B.C.", which is actually quite thin at 100 pages at best. It covers the macedonian armies during the period mentioned in the title up the dissolution of the Macedonian kingdom by the Roman republic.

I don't know why I keep fetching these books, or why I find this interesting...
    Hey, I also have a thing for Osprey books and their ilk. In fact, I just ordered one the other day on post-Roman Briton/Anglo-Saxon warfare.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    that's been a fav of mine for eons. one of the few books that deals with time dilation/relativity and their effects on war and the people who fight it. and it is a great story to boot...
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

UK
    graham mastertons snowman & the teror, then doctor sleep
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    that's been a fav of mine for eons. one of the few books that deals with time dilation/relativity and their effects on war and the people who fight it. and it is a great story to boot...
    One of my all time favs!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    true detective has directed my literary attention to "the king in yellow" by robert chambers, on deck after that are "the call of cthulhu and other stories" by hp lovecraft, then "the conspiracy against the human race" by thomas ligotti. pretty heavy and dark stuff from what i hear.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    true detective has directed my literary attention to "the king in yellow" by robert chambers, on deck after that are "the call of cthulhu and other stories" by hp lovecraft, then "the conspiracy against the human race" by thomas ligotti. pretty heavy and dark stuff from what i hear.
    Kind of heavy, but some of it kind of kooky and quaint by modern standards. Lots of purple prose in Lovecraft, but some of my favs...sort of an acquired taste. The Pulp greats from the early 20th (sounds like a term from a sci fi movie, eh) and their mid/late 19th century inspirations (Poe, Chambers, Bierce etc.) really captured a lot of what would later become great genre staples.