Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Kind of heavy, but some of it kind of kooky and quaint by modern standards. Lots of purple prose in Lovecraft, but some of my favs...sort of an acquired taste. The Pulp greats from the early 20th (sounds like a term from a sci fi movie, eh) and their mid/late 19th century inspirations (Poe, Chambers, Bierce etc.) really captured a lot of what would later become great genre staples.
    I've been reading a lot of that lately: Lovecraft and the Victorian and Edwardian authors who inspired him. Best of all, much of it is in the public domain now, and so available for free online.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    I just re-read "The Turn of the Screw" again...for like the 20th time. anyway, have you read it and if so, what do you think? is the governess loco for choco puffs or are the ghosts "real"? are the children corrupted/evil or is that another projection of the governess?

I read it again after reading the introduction to "The Aspern Papers" (another of his stories that i highly recommend), in which the editor of the book ventured a few thoughts about "Turn" that i hadn't considered before.
    Last edited by Mike70; 02-Mar-2014 at 03:05 PM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    I just re-read "The Turn of the Screw" again...for like the 20th time. anyway, have you read it and if so, what do you think? is the governess loco for choco puffs or are the ghosts "real"? are the children corrupted/evil or is that another projection of the governess?
    Funny you should mention that one. I never have read it, and it never occurred to me as I've been reading spooky Victorian works over the last year plus, but just the day before yesterday it caught my eye on a list of all-time scary books. So now I do plan on reading it, so I can form an opinion on those questions for myself.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Funny you should mention that one. I never have read it, and it never occurred to me as I've been reading spooky Victorian works over the last year plus, but just the day before yesterday it caught my eye on a list of all-time scary books. So now I do plan on reading it, so I can form an opinion on those questions for myself.
    you would love it. not only is it an all time classic horror story and spooky as hell, it is also quite an intellectual puzzle. there are a multitude of interpretations to what occurs in the story. the unreliable narrator plays a major, major part in how you see the story.

UK
    ive just started Stephen Kings Doctor Sleep
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Super Moderator

United States
    Can anyone here recommend any good books on the Royal Navy during World War II? I'm thinking generalist level, or some good info on OOB/organization and different naval operations.

Did a few searches, but didn't see anything on Amazon/B&N that seemed it fit the bill, which seems pretty odd. Also, I noticed some horribly overpriced ebooks for the subject matter. Who the hell pays $160 for an ebook?!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie9 View Post
    ive just started Stephen Kings Doctor Sleep
    Not even heard of that one!

ps: Read Blaze!!!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Not even heard of that one!

ps: Read Blaze!!!
    it is a sequel to "The Shining." call it danny torrance at 40. it's full of the mystic nonsense that has plagued so much of king's later work. i haven't enjoyed anything by him in a long, long time.

Administrator

England
    it is a sequel to "The Shining." call it danny torrance at 40. it's full of the mystic nonsense that has plagued so much of king's later work. i haven't enjoyed anything by him in a long, long time.
    Oh yeh!

ps: Read Blaze!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

United States
    Personally, Mike, I'd call it alien nonsense but, yeah, you're right. I haven't enjoyed a King novel since It.

As an interesting side note; although my wife grew up in Illinois she spent her summers in Kennebunkport, Maine. This would've been in the late 60s/early 70s. She remembers roller skating in the town square and occasionally running into a very nice man who frequented a local café called Alisson's who would buy her a hot chocolate. This man introduced himself as "Mr. Bachman". At the time, my wife's grandmother was known locally as the oldest resident of Kennebunkport. My wife's father--an acquaintance of some guy named "Bush"--was a Lt. Colonel in the Army at the time. Their family name is Flagg.

At any rate: I've just finished Meno; Symposium is up and coming.

-stray-

UK
    I have got Blaze on my to read list, will defo be reading it.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    I am currently reading Days Ago Diary http://www.daysagodiary.com. On a bit of a web zombie fiction run at the moment. But keen to get hold of a real book again soon.

UK
    Stephen Baxters Proxima, good so far

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie9 View Post
    Stephen Baxters Proxima, good so far
    That gets very mixed reviews!

And you're not ready "Blaze" because?
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Oh yeh!

ps: Read Blaze!
    Ever get around to "The Forever War"? it is one that you won't put down.

on another note: I'm on a Frank Herbert kick now. I've read "Hellstrom's Hive", "The Eyes of Heisenberg", "Destination: Void", "Whipping Star" (AWESOME BOOK!), and "The Dosadi Experiment"
    here in just the last 2 weeks (maybe less). and at present I'm reading "Dune" again for the umpteenth time. i'll probably notice something new though, like i do with every new reading. probably will keep going with "Dune" out to "Chapterhouse."