Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    Ever get around to "The Forever War"? it is one that you won't put down.
    Doing it now! Feels a little bit Starship Trooper'y...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Resurrectionist by James McGee, the second of his Matthew Hawkwood series. Hawkwood is a Bow Street Runner in 19th century London. Hawkwood is investigating a 'resurrection men' gang, bodysnatchers who sell dead bodies to medical schools, but his investigation is interrupted by an escape from Bedlam asylum in which a priest is killed. The cases converge...

Excellent read, tho the scene where a surgeon demonstrates how to remove a bladder stone is quite off-putting...
    Last edited by dracenstein; 22-Mar-2014 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spelling
    "and I looked and beheld, a zombie stamped with the number of the Beast"

England
    So. None of you folks picked up the "Wool trilogy" by Hugh Howey yet?

This is really fine PA fare folks...I highly recommend it!

Wool-trilogy-Random-House-covers-510x259.jpg
    Last edited by Legion2213; 22-Mar-2014 at 10:44 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

UK
    Im reading Graham Mastertons Ghost Music, decent read so far
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    So. None of you folks picked up the "Wool trilogy" by Hugh Howey yet?

This is really fine PA fare folks...I highly recommend it!

Wool-trilogy-Random-House-covers-510x259.jpg
    Will look into it today, though I have my hands full now.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    Ever get around to "The Forever War"? it is one that you won't put down.
    Belgian comic book artist Marvano did a graphic novel of The Forever War. Haldeman collaborated and must have enjoyed the experience so much the two went on to create a folluw up and an entirely new series called Dallas Barr.
    The Forever War comic is really good. A very strong anti-war theme without being anti-military is translated well into breathtaking drawings.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Belgian comic book artist Marvano did a graphic novel of The Forever War. Haldeman collaborated and must have enjoyed the experience so much the two went on to create a folluw up and an entirely new series called Dallas Barr.
    The Forever War comic is really good. A very strong anti-war theme without being anti-military is translated well into breathtaking drawings.
    Yeah, I heard very good things about and was looking into getting a copy of volume 1 of amazon 5-6 months ago, but I wasn't sure about laying out $30 to $50 for a used copy.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

UK
    im reading Bentley Little - The Return

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie9 View Post
    im reading Bentley Little - The Return
    *cough* Blaze *cough*
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Doing it now! Feels a little bit Starship Trooper'y...
    Yeh. Just started on it myself and got the same vibe. Apparently, it was written as a response to 'Starship troopers'.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    *cough* Blaze *cough*
    haaha, i will get round to it, checked my library 2day and it wasnt in, youll be the 1st to know wen i do get it haha

England
    Im reading Graham Mastertons Ghost Music, decent read so far
    Only novel I've read by him was called "Mirror". It was okay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Will look into it today, though I have my hands full now.
    Definitely worth your while IMO. I really enjoyed this series and the whole story/concept. And have shamelessly pimped his works around other forums and people I know who like a bit of SF/PA stuff.

I don't dip into too many new authors these days (last one was Charles Stross, who I also really enjoy), but I felt properly rewarded for taking a chance on this guy and his work.

As an aside, he really encourages not only fan fiction, but also self published Kindle novels based on his work/universe....he seems like a really top guy.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 28-Mar-2014 at 09:50 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

UK
    Wild Cards edited by George R Martin

Administrator

England
    Not reading Blaze yet then?
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Read it, it's alright. He stole the invention of the jet engine from us to the US...

Re-reading The Wind up Girl by Paulo Bacigalupi, set in a distopian future in Thailand. An American corporate undercover agent looking for a lost seed bank (genetic re-engineered food plants have mutated beyond control and no natural food plants have escaped contamination) to 'harvest' is distracted by the title character, a Japanese genetically engineered New Person abandoned in Thailand and surviving as a sex toy, set against political upheaval in Thailand.

Excellent book, read!
    "and I looked and beheld, a zombie stamped with the number of the Beast"