Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ Cheers for the tips!
    No problem. Quite a bit of his stuff written after "Harsh Mistress" refers back to that story. "The Cat who Walks Through Walls" is just one example of Heinlein re-visiting the moon after the events in "Harsh Mistress"

If you havent read any of Heinlein's Lazarus Long books/stories, "Time enough for Love" is pretty good.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States

Been having the urge to get my Arthurian legend on again for a while. Haven't been able to find my original copy translated by Keith Baines, so I picked up the above. Apparently this one is translated from the Caxton version, which itself was slightly edited from Malory's original, & so far I'm picking up a couple of differences...

Undisclosed
    220px-FrankHerbert_Dune_1st.jpg

Dune; LOTR for the Science Fiction fan.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    220px-FrankHerbert_Dune_1st.jpg

Dune; LOTR for the Science Fiction fan.
    I've always thought that Dune Messiah was the best of the series. To me, the first four books are solid and form a coherent story. Heretics, Chapterhouse, et al feel like add ons/afterthoughts. Im a huge fan of Herbert's. Whipping Star, The Dosadai Experiment, Destination:Void, Hellstrom's Hive, and The Eyes of Heisenberg are all classics of the genre.

Herbert, Heinlein, Anderson, Clarke, Aldiss, and Pohl are the true titans of scifi. Asimov gets an honorable mention.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Orange_Is_the_New_Black_book_cover.jpg

Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison - Piper Kerman

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post

Been having the urge to get my Arthurian legend on again for a while. Haven't been able to find my original copy translated by Keith Baines, so I picked up the above. Apparently this one is translated from the Caxton version, which itself was slightly edited from Malory's original, & so far I'm picking up a couple of differences...
    Disregard. Apparently there was at least one detail that I didn't remember, or that had been omitted from other versions, that WAS accurate to Malory's original.

never knew that Arthur, before he met Guinevere had a "one night stand" with the daughter of an Earl & had a son!

Sir Borre le Cure Hardy

Sir Borre was purported by Malory to be a son of Arthur. He is only mentioned in two chapters in Malory:

Book I, Chapter 17
    "So in the meanwhile there came a damosel that was an earl's daughter: his name was Sanam, and her name was Lionors, a passing fair damosel; and so she came thither for to do homage, as other lords did after the great battle [of Bedegraine]. And King Arthur set his love greatly upon her, and so did she upon him, and the king had ado with her, and gat on her a child: his name was Borre, that was after a good knight, and of the Round Table."

Book XIX, Chapter 11
    In the list of knights who attempted to cure Sir Urre of Hungary: "...Sir Borre le Cure Hardy that was King Arthur's son..."

These are the only two mentions of Borre in Malory. In the Vulgate, Lionors is mentioned but she bears Arthur a different son.
    This is literally the only mention of these two, & I can see why it would be edited out, both due to the fact it really is only a coulple of throwaway lines that have zero relevance on the main narrative, AND that they rob the Mordred story of a little of its impact.

Still, historically interesting nevertheless.

UK
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    "Wir Sind Utopia" by Stefan Andres. A short but challegening book. Published iilegally in Nazi Germany in 1942, it is about a vroup of prisoners being held in a monestary which has been converted to a prison. It is a disturbimg and rather complex little.book.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie9 View Post
    Never even heard of this one! I'm interested!

ps: Blaze!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Never even heard of this one! I'm interested!

ps: Blaze!
    Its got Randall Flagg in it & places from The Dark Tower in it, its a good book

Ps Blaze will be coming soon haha!

UK

Undisclosed
    Hostage+to+the+Devil.jpg

Hostage To The Devil: The Possession and Exorcism of Five Living Americans, by Malachi Martin (alleged non fiction )

UK

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    I've always thought that Dune Messiah was the best of the series.
    I have always felt that Herbert had a coherent take on both the human condition as well as the science of politics. With regard to the Dune series, in my opinion, Dune was his Bible, and God Emperor his Talmud.

UK