Thread: What are you currently reading?

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Opal Florey The Fashion Book by DK!! Xx
    Design today and gain forever

Super Moderator

UK
    I recently read this:

The Walking Dead: The Fall of The Governor Part 2 by Robert Kirkman and Jay Bonansinga

I enjoyed it, but it was unmistakably padded out with extraneous content (just like Part 1) as a result of the decision to split that story into two parts.

And today I just finished reading this:

Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon

I really dug this and it captures a very specific mood in vivid detail and made me laugh out loud numerous times. I'd definitely recommend checking it out. I'm really looking forward to seeing the movie now.

And then next up will be this:

Dick Contino's Blues & Other Stories by James Ellroy

UK
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Administrator

England
    ^^ Heard really mixed reviews about that book!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ Heard really mixed reviews about that book!
    I've only read one other book of his, sure it was Proxima, and i really enjoyed it. Noticed this book had some of the same characters in so i thought i'd give it a go.

Super Moderator

UK

"Crime Wave" by James Ellroy

Haven't decided on what I'll read after this - probably a toss up between "Metro 2034", and "Book of the Dead: The Complete History of Zombie Cinema" (the most recent edition).
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 06-Apr-2015 at 09:12 AM.

England
    I'm trying to finish the Stephen King book "Revival", I've been reading it since before Christmas but with so many other distractions like work, exercise, PC, PS4, guitar, TV shows and films it takes me an age to read a book! I tend to read when I get into bed, which usually means I get through 3 or 4 pages before I fall asleep

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I tend to read when I get into bed, which usually means I get through 3 or 4 pages before I fall asleep
    ditto. the last book i read was a bit boring, but it took me almost 9 months to finish.

i'm currently reading through "with the old breed" by eugene sledge, an infantry marine in the pacific during the battles of peleliu and okinawa. parts of this book were featured in the hbo series "the pacific". pretty vivid descriptions of some truly hellish experiences.

after i finish that, in honor of the near-immaculate finale to the tv series "justified", i am going to read all the raylan givens books and stories by elmore leonard.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 18-Apr-2015 at 02:09 AM. Reason: .

United States
    "The Way of Men" by Jack Donovan
    - Jeff

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    In diesem Lande leben wir Deutsche Gedichte der Gegenwart.

Great collection-Thenior, Ausländer, Kunert, Zahl, Rathenow, Grass, Huchel, etc. An extremely good collection...if you enjoy German poetry.

Also reading a.collection.by Paul.Verlaine- one of the most amazing.writers ver.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

UK
    Finished reading The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler the other day (and very good so it was), and I'm about to embark on Metro 2034 by Dmitry Glukhovsky.

Administrator

England
    The Martian - Really really enjoyed it! Looking forward to seeing what the film can do with it, but can imagine the film falling short of the book quite easily!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    "My Dark Places" by James Ellroy

A sort of autobiography/cold case investigation by the famous crime author regarding the case of his own mother's murder.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Right now I am just start reading The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change Stephen R. Covey

UK